Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: BBC News link with no Flash

Re: BBC News link with no Flash

hwأf

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 18:54:25 -0600, philo aided th' terraists with the
following claims :

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/text_only.stm
>

> For all those who hate the video news sites the above link is for BBC
>
> maybe others know of more "text" web news sites
>

> also
>
> for those who want to get back to basics
>
> the Off By one browser
>
> http://offbyone.com/offbyone/
>

> Renders HTML just fine
>
> but completely ignores all Flash and Java-script
>
> Probably a safe a browser as you can get on a Windows machine
>

> If you like bells and whistles...do not bother with this one.
>

> BTW: It will run on anything from Windows 95 all the way up to Vista

It dumps its "cookies" file on yer desktop so you have to drag it to the
trash.
You can get Firebird (original mozilla pre-firefox build) and just turn
off java and get a nice safe browser that renders html better than OB1
does.
Plus you can *choose* fonts in mozilla, not in OB1.

http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/index.htm

hwأf

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 12:58:48 -0600, philo aided th' terraists with the
following claims :

> "§ñühwØ£f" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 18:54:25 -0600, philo aided th' terraists with the
>> following claims :
>>
>> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/text_only.stm
>> >

>> > For all those who hate the video news sites the above link is for BBC
>> >
>> > maybe others know of more "text" web news sites
>> >

>> > also
>> >
>> > for those who want to get back to basics
>> >
>> > the Off By one browser
>> >
>> > http://offbyone.com/offbyone/
>> >

>> > Renders HTML just fine
>> >
>> > but completely ignores all Flash and Java-script
>> >
>> > Probably a safe a browser as you can get on a Windows machine
>> >

>> > If you like bells and whistles...do not bother with this one.
>> >

>> > BTW: It will run on anything from Windows 95 all the way up to Vista

>> It dumps its "cookies" file on yer desktop so you have to drag it to the
>> trash.
>> You can get Firebird (original mozilla pre-firefox build) and just turn
>> off java and get a nice safe browser that renders html better than OB1
>> does.
>> Plus you can *choose* fonts in mozilla, not in OB1.
>>

> I have never had Off By One do that.
>
> It would only do that if you were running Off By One on the desktop
> (rather than from a shortcut on the desktop)

Windows is too hard for me.
I had to switch to easy linux

http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/index.htm

hwأf

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 15:19:46 -0600, philo aided th' terraists with the
following claims :

> "§ñühwØ£f" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 12:58:48 -0600, philo aided th' terraists with the
>> following claims :
>>

>> > "§ñühwØ£f" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news(E-Mail Removed)...

> the
>> >>

>> > I have never had Off By One do that.
>> >
>> > It would only do that if you were running Off By One on the desktop
>> > (rather than from a shortcut on the desktop)

>> Windows is too hard for me.
>> I had to switch to easy linux
>>

> Why not OS/2 ?

I wanted to try it but IBM never open sourced it.
Its being maintained IIRC as "eCom Station" and from the looks of it would
be fun to play with.

http://www.mykeru.com