Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Voip recommendation

Voip recommendation

Carl Waring

Hello all!

Sorry to just jump in like this. Don't know if there's an FAQ for this group
that might cover this stuff. However....

http://www.voipcheap.co.uk/

Anyone with experience of this service?

I'm interested in using them in future for calls to a Spanish Mobile. Looks
like .5ppm to me, if I'm reading it right!

I don't want to use a Voip provider as my /main/ source of calls as I have
an "inclusive" package with my phone provider.

Also, I have a Vonage adapter here from when I tried their service. I assume
it will be 'locked' to them? Any way to easily 'unlock' it?

Thanks.

--
Carl Waring
DigiGuide:

Graham.

"Carl Waring" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5fbUk.56749$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> Hello all!
>
> Sorry to just jump in like this. Don't know if there's an FAQ for this
> group that might cover this stuff. However....
>
> http://www.voipcheap.co.uk/
>
> Anyone with experience of this service?
>
> I'm interested in using them in future for calls to a Spanish Mobile.
> Looks like .5ppm to me, if I'm reading it right!
>
> I don't want to use a Voip provider as my /main/ source of calls as I have
> an "inclusive" package with my phone provider.
>
> Also, I have a Vonage adapter here from when I tried their service. I
> assume it will be 'locked' to them? Any way to easily 'unlock' it?
>
> Thanks.

Here is an excellent Betamax comparison site,
http://www.backsla.sh/betamax

Yes I used voipcheap.co.uk, but subsequently moved to
voipcheap.com and then smslisto.com because my
calls were mainly UK landline and mobile.
It looks to me that poivy.com might be an even better bet
at 5.5eurocents/min with "inclusive" Spanish and UK landlines.

The service from all these Betamax clones is excellent, support
is non-existent, but that's what this Newsgroup is for.

If your Vonage ATA is a Linksys PAP2 from the days when
you could get them at Comet and PC World, then I did
manage to unlock one, its still going strong, but my understanding
is it's only successful if it's never been exposed to the internet
prior to unlocking.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Fred

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 10:39:23 -0000, "Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The service from all these Betamax clones is excellent, support
>is non-existent, but that's what this Newsgroup is for.

I agree.
Good performance from my SMSlisto.com
I have Poivy.com already set up. Can make free 60 second calls to
landlines.

>If your Vonage ATA is a Linksys PAP2 from the days when
>you could get them at Comet and PC World, then I did
>manage to unlock one, its still going strong, but my understanding
>is it's only successful if it's never been exposed to the internet
>prior to unlocking.

I see e-bay has plenty of "unlocked" Linksys PAP2.

Carl Waring

Graham. wrote:
> "Carl Waring" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:5fbUk.56749$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>> Hello all!
>>
>> Sorry to just jump in like this. Don't know if there's an FAQ for
>> this group that might cover this stuff. However....
>>
>> http://www.voipcheap.co.uk/
>>
>> Anyone with experience of this service?
>>
>> I'm interested in using them in future for calls to a Spanish Mobile.
>> Looks like .5ppm to me, if I'm reading it right!
>>
>> I don't want to use a Voip provider as my /main/ source of calls as
>> I have an "inclusive" package with my phone provider.
>>
>> Also, I have a Vonage adapter here from when I tried their service. I
>> assume it will be 'locked' to them? Any way to easily 'unlock' it?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> Here is an excellent Betamax comparison site,
> http://www.backsla.sh/betamax

Betamax? That's an old video-tape format as far as I know

--
Carl Waring
DigiGuide:
Full: http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=1495
Web-based: http://getdigiguide.com/?p=3&r=1495

Gordon Henderson

In article <gfua3k$n17$(E-Mail Removed)>,
www.GymRatZ.co.uk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Carl Waring wrote:
>
>> Betamax? That's an old video-tape format as far as I know

>Went the same way as Video2000 didn't it?
>Remember those L.P. sized double sided CD things?
>
>I believe Betamax was actually a superior format to VHS as the tape went
>through a less abusive path over the heads but Sanyo refused to allow
>anyone else to use the format which killed it.
>
>Or so I remember my grand parents telling me.
>;)

Only because the truth (as I understand it) was too embarassing for them -
the porn industry adopted it as it came in at the right price...

Gordon

Gordon Henderson

In article <gfuf9a$422$(E-Mail Removed)>,
www.GymRatZ.co.uk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Gordon Henderson wrote:
>
>> Only because the truth (as I understand it) was too embarassing for them -
>> the porn industry adopted it as it came in at the right price...
>>
>> Gordon

>LOL
>That's bizarre.
>:)

You think so? I reckon the porn industry built "media" and the Internet
the way it is today - home movies - 8mm film to Super 8 with sound,
then replaced by VHS and DVD.

Online High resolution full colour images, streaming videos, Live
streaming video, I reckon we can thank the porn industry for them all,
and the technology behind it. And why else can we stream video to a
mobile phone?

Gordon

Carl Waring

Gordon Henderson wrote:
> In article <gfuf9a$422$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> www.GymRatZ.co.uk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Gordon Henderson wrote:
>>
>>> Only because the truth (as I understand it) was too embarassing for
>>> them - the porn industry adopted it as it came in at the right
>>> price...
>>>
>>> Gordon

>> LOL
>> That's bizarre.
>>> )

> You think so? I reckon the porn industry built "media" and the
> Internet the way it is today - home movies - 8mm film to Super 8 with
> sound, then replaced by VHS and DVD.
>
> Online High resolution full colour images, streaming videos, Live
> streaming video, I reckon we can thank the porn industry for them all,
> and the technology behind it. And why else can we stream video to a
> mobile phone?
>
> Gordon

So, no-one's actually going to tell me why the term is now used in VOIP
then?

--
Carl Waring
DigiGuide:
Full: http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=1495
Web-based: http://getdigiguide.com/?p=3&r=1495

Graham.

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
"Jono" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Carl Waring was thinking very hard :
>> Gordon Henderson wrote:

>>> You think so? I reckon the porn industry built "media" and the
>>> Internet the way it is today - home movies - 8mm film to Super 8 with
>>> sound, then replaced by VHS and DVD.
>>>
>>> Online High resolution full colour images, streaming videos, Live
>>> streaming video, I reckon we can thank the porn industry for them all,
>>> and the technology behind it. And why else can we stream video to a
>>> mobile phone?
>>>
>>> Gordon

>> So, no-one's actually going to tell me why the term is now used in VOIP
>> then?

> It's not a term, it's a name
>
> <http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=betamax+gmbh&meta=>

It's closly related to Finarea of 18866/1899 fame.

Carl Waring

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 07:51:59 -0000, "Carl Waring"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Gordon Henderson wrote:

>>> You think so? I reckon the porn industry built "media" and the
>>> Internet the way it is today - home movies - 8mm film to Super 8
>>> with sound, then replaced by VHS and DVD.
>>>
>>> Online High resolution full colour images, streaming videos, Live
>>> streaming video, I reckon we can thank the porn industry for them
>>> all, and the technology behind it. And why else can we stream video
>>> to a mobile phone?
>>>
>>> Gordon

>> So, no-one's actually going to tell me why the term is now used in
>> VOIP then?

> It's not a term, but the name of the company.

I know that. What I don't know is why is it used in VOIP?

As in...

Graham. wrote:
> Here is an excellent Betamax comparison site,
> http://www.backsla.sh/betamax

Which goes on to compare VOIP pricing. I assume I just mis-understood then
and the owner of that site just used "betamax" as a random directory name or
something?

--
Carl Waring
DigiGuide:
Full: http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=1495
Web-based: http://getdigiguide.com/?p=3&r=1495

Carl Waring

"www.GymRatZ.co.uk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:gg3cko$gpv$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Carl Waring wrote:
>
>> Graham. wrote:
>>> Here is an excellent Betamax comparison site,
>>> http://www.backsla.sh/betamax
>>>

>> Which goes on to compare VOIP pricing. I assume I just mis-understood
>> then
>> and the owner of that site just used "betamax" as a random directory name
>> or
>> something?

> Nope. Betamax is one company which re-generates it's self as all those
> "companies" listed on the site.
>
> If you visit them you will see a similarity right through the sites.
>
> In the same way I have many differrent web sites that all appear to be
> different stores yet all phone numbers come through to our one humble
> shop and answered by one of 3 people.
>
> Certain Betamax clones have better rates for differrent countries.
> The trick is to find the one that suits your purpose best. Or if the
> savings are great enough you can have multiple accounts used fr
> different countries.
>
> With ALL the betamax clone companies you get free minutes everytime you
> top up your account.
>
> All my national and international calls are free because the account is
> toppd up every few months as I use it to call customers mobile phones
> (very cheaply)

Thanks for the info.