Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon D700x may see the light of day as D900 (D800??)

Nikon D700x may see the light of day as D900 (D800??)

Tony the insider

Nikon D700x will see the light of day as the D800 or D900, or
so my bud says. Remember old F801 and its role as the first
Nikon with usable AF, the first with a 1/8,000s shutter (a 5
year record, broken by the Minolta 9000's 1/12,000s)? So a
D800 name has pedigree - but the linkage to D80 may not be
considered desirable. So I guess, and it is only a guess,
that D900 is more likely (D90 is a respectable camera, while
D80 was a bastard result of mating D50 and D200).
Main reasons against D700x:
- seen as D700 upgrade (too quick!)
- name relates to entry-level (ie D70)
Name is very important to Japanese corporations. All clear in
33 days!
I make one more simple point. My prime Nikkors can resolve to
100 lpmm, a little above centrally, of course much less at the
peripheries. So a simple view on FX is a pixellation of
100 x 2 x 24 x 100 x 2 x 36 / 1,000,000 = 34.56 MP
will get 90% or better from my optics. Not even D3x=D4 will
deliver this. Maybe I should wait for D5?
Tony (Nikon fan since the S3)

Jurgen

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 04:46:51 +0000, Tony the insider wrote:

> Nikon D700x will see the light of day as the D800 or D900, or so my bud
> says. Remember old F801 and its role as the first Nikon with usable AF,
> the first with a 1/8,000s shutter (a 5 year record, broken by the
> Minolta 9000's 1/12,000s)? So a D800 name has pedigree - but the linkage
> to D80 may not be considered desirable. So I guess, and it is only a
> guess, that D900 is more likely (D90 is a respectable camera, while D80
> was a bastard result of mating D50 and D200). Main reasons against
> D700x:
> - seen as D700 upgrade (too quick!)
> - name relates to entry-level (ie D70)
> Name is very important to Japanese corporations. All clear in 33 days!
> I make one more simple point. My prime Nikkors can resolve to 100 lpmm,
> a little above centrally, of course much less at the peripheries. So a
> simple view on FX is a pixellation of 100 x 2 x 24 x 100 x 2 x 36 /
> 1,000,000 = 34.56 MP will get 90% or better from my optics. Not even
> D3x=D4 will deliver this. Maybe I should wait for D5? Tony (Nikon fan
> since the S3)

Do I read you right Tony?
The currect crop of Nikon lenses will resolve to about 90% of their
potential on a 34 megapixel camera? Or do you mean the camera will exceed
the lenses resolving power by 10%?

trouble

This belongs in the RichA catalog of non-sequiturs.

Me Here

"trouble" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newswhUk.6320$(E-Mail Removed)...
> This belongs in the RichA catalog of non-sequiturs.

RichA will only buy a camera if it's made from Tungsten Stainless Steel and
weighs 75 lbs, his lens elements must be made with transparent aluminum,
housed in Tungsten Stainless Steel.

Michael Benveniste

"Me Here" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> RichA will only buy a camera if it's made from Tungsten Stainless Steel
> and weighs 75 lbs, his lens elements must be made with transparent
> aluminum, housed in Tungsten Stainless Steel.

Alas, Transparent Aluminum doesn't have a high enough transmission
percentage for modern multi-element lenses.
http://www.surmet.com/alon.html

--
Michael Benveniste -- http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Clarification required)
Legalize Updoc.

Paul Furman

Tony the insider wrote:
> Nikon D700x will see the light of day as the D800 or D900, or
> so my bud says. Remember old F801 and its role as the first
> Nikon with usable AF, the first with a 1/8,000s shutter (a 5
> year record, broken by the Minolta 9000's 1/12,000s)? So a
> D800 name has pedigree - but the linkage to D80 may not be
> considered desirable. So I guess, and it is only a guess,
> that D900 is more likely (D90 is a respectable camera, while
> D80 was a bastard result of mating D50 and D200).
> Main reasons against D700x:
> - seen as D700 upgrade (too quick!)
> - name relates to entry-level (ie D70)
> Name is very important to Japanese corporations. All clear in
> 33 days!
> I make one more simple point. My prime Nikkors can resolve to
> 100 lpmm, a little above centrally, of course much less at the
> peripheries. So a simple view on FX is a pixellation of
> 100 x 2 x 24 x 100 x 2 x 36 / 1,000,000 = 34.56 MP
> will get 90% or better from my optics. Not even D3x=D4 will
> deliver this. Maybe I should wait for D5?
> Tony (Nikon fan since the S3)

Well, it looks like it'll be released as a D3x instead.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net