Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > FIrefox wants top open images in app, not in firefox

FIrefox wants top open images in app, not in firefox

Evan Platt

Firefox 3.0.4, XP Pro, but it's done this as long as I can remember...

Some google searches and some other pages, FireFox won't open a image
- for example,
http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...-8&sa=N&tab=wi
the fourth image on the top row "The all-female Indian police ...400 x
300 - 42k - jpg", when I click on the image, FF prompts me to Open it
- "What should FireFox do with this file?"

Any ideas why it does this for some (not all) images? I'd rather it
just obviously display in the browser.

That appears to be the only one on that particular page of searches
that does it.

Thanks.

thanatoid

Evan Platt <evan@*******************************> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Firefox 3.0.4, XP Pro, but it's done this as long as I can
> remember...
>
> Some google searches and some other pages, FireFox won't
> open a image - for example,
> http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...%20police&um=1
> &ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi the fourth image on the top row "The
> all-female Indian police ...400 x 300 - 42k - jpg", when I
> click on the image, FF prompts me to Open it - "What should
> FireFox do with this file?"
>
> Any ideas why it does this for some (not all) images? I'd
> rather it just obviously display in the browser.
>
> That appears to be the only one on that particular page of
> searches that does it.
>
> Thanks.

I only used FF (v2) for a very short while, I don't like it,
BUT.

Look at the "view source code" or whatever FF calls it.

It's possible that image is not a JPG but a JPE or a JPEG or
even a gif (I have OFTEN run into images tagged wrong, although
usually jpg's are given gif extensions). SOME images are given
the .php extension !!!!!

It's possible that those other types for some reason are not
"preset" to open within the browser.

--
"May you live in interesting times."
(curse, origin disputed)

richard

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 16:10:14 -0800, Evan Platt
<evan@*******************************> wrote:

>Firefox 3.0.4, XP Pro, but it's done this as long as I can remember...
>
>Some google searches and some other pages, FireFox won't open a image
>- for example,
>http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...-8&sa=N&tab=wi
>the fourth image on the top row "The all-female Indian police ...400 x
>300 - 42k - jpg", when I click on the image, FF prompts me to Open it
>- "What should FireFox do with this file?"
>
>Any ideas why it does this for some (not all) images? I'd rather it
>just obviously display in the browser.
>
>That appears to be the only one on that particular page of searches
>that does it.
>
>Thanks.

One of the reasons I ditched 3 and went back to 2.
It would be nice if the google would learn how to code properly.
I've never seen such a thing as < font color> tag in html.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

richard wrote:

> It would be nice if the google would learn how to code properly.
> I've never seen such a thing as < font color> tag in html.

--
-bts

richard

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 21:08:43 -0500, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>richard wrote:
>
>> It would be nice if the google would learn how to code properly.
>> I've never seen such a thing as < font color> tag in html.

Uh nope sorry. That is not proper code.
The actual deprecated tag is <font>.
The proper way is to show <p style="color:red;">

The validator at w3c.org tossed out 320 errors.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

richard wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>> richard wrote:
>>> It would be nice if the google would learn how to code properly.
>>> I've never seen such a thing as < font color> tag in html.

> Uh nope sorry. That is not proper code.

It certainly is proper, depending on DOCTYPE.

> The actual deprecated tag is <font>.

...which is the example I gave you, that you said you'd never seen. Prior
to HTML 4.01 Strict, it was correct. It is still valid in 4.01
Transitional.

Of course it is deprecated. Do you think I didn't know that? You asked
about, and said you never saw "<font color> tag", so I gave you an
example.

> The proper way is to show <p style="color:red;">

Sure, for modern code...

> The validator at w3c.org tossed out 320 errors.

What, for one of your pages?

--
-bts

catchme

Evan Platt wrote:
> Firefox 3.0.4, XP Pro, but it's done this as long as I can remember...
>
> Some google searches and some other pages, FireFox won't open a image
> - for example,
> http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...-8&sa=N&tab=wi
> the fourth image on the top row "The all-female Indian police ...400 x
> 300 - 42k - jpg", when I click on the image, FF prompts me to Open it
> - "What should FireFox do with this file?"
>
> Any ideas why it does this for some (not all) images? I'd rather it
> just obviously display in the browser.
>
> That appears to be the only one on that particular page of searches
> that does it.
>
> Thanks.

i have no trouble viewing the site you linked, including ALL of the pics.
I even double clicked on the specific image you specified, and was able
to view it within the browser window, without loading any apps.