Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Setting up keeping mail on server for x days

Re: Setting up keeping mail on server for x days

Evan Platt

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 13:39:25 +1300, "PeeCee" <abuse@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>You seem to have recieved a raft of confusing replies to your query.
>
>The short answer is you have to change the setting on 'every' computer.

And again, wrong.

Think about it.

Evan Platt

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 19:51:40 +1300, "PeeCee" <abuse@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>Ok I'll bite, why is that answer "wrong".
>I am genuinely interested to know.

As long as ONE of the computers is set to delete messages over <X>
days, once that computer checks the mail, those messages are gone. You
could set one computer to Delete messages over 10 days, and the rest
to delete messages over 30000 days. As long as the computer set to
delete after 10 days checks mail every few days, no messages will be
kept over 10 days.

wisdomkiller & pain

Evan Platt wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 19:51:40 +1300, "PeeCee" <abuse@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>
>>Ok I'll bite, why is that answer "wrong".
>>I am genuinely interested to know.

> As long as ONE of the computers is set to delete messages over <X>
> days, once that computer checks the mail, those messages are gone. You
> could set one computer to Delete messages over 10 days, and the rest
> to delete messages over 30000 days. As long as the computer set to
> delete after 10 days checks mail every few days, no messages will be
> kept over 10 days.

Well, but if one of the computers is set to NOT keep mails on the server at
all, the same applies - immediately after that computer has fetched mails.