Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > renew IP fails

renew IP fails

E-Queen

I've bought THREE new laptops in a week.
I've returned the first two, thinking something is wrong with them, but
now the third is doing it.

When attempting to connect to my wireless network, I get excellent
connectivity, but it won't assign a decent ip to it. It should be giving
me 192.168.1.25 or so - but instead it gives me 169.xxx.xx.xx. That
doesn't work.

I've read everything everywhere for a week. I've patched, uninstalled,
reinstalled and I just don't know what else to do.

I tried manually assigning - but I don't seem to know exactly what
numbers go where.

I have two desktops that have no trouble with their wireless connections.

It's a Linksys WRT54GS and similar cards on the desktops.
The laptops have had various cards.

Is there any fix for this? From the on line stuff I've seen, this is a
huge problem - but I couldn't find any messages on this list that seemed
to address it directly.

Thanks for any help! I'm desperate and worn out.

Gina

=?Utf-8?B?cHJhc2hhbnRo?=

Hi

From what you have said, it is clear that laptop is unable to connect the
router which is assigning the ipadress.so you are getting 169.x.x.x or giving
a error "Renew ip fails".

Make sure that you enter the correct "SECURITY KEY" if you have enabled it
on the router(you can try by the security key in the "DISABLED" mode . .so
you can figure out if there is some thing wrong in the "Security Key" . .
..when done trying enable the security key back for your safety).

If you want to try the manual settings.you can input this values
(Hope you didnt change the Ipadress of the router)

Ipadress: 192.168.1.30
subnet mask:255.255.255.0
default gateway:192.168.1.1

Preffered DNS Server :192.168.1.1

setup all these values in the TCP/IP properties of your wireless card or
device.

Hope you figure out some thing . . . .

"E-Queen" wrote:

> I've bought THREE new laptops in a week.
> I've returned the first two, thinking something is wrong with them, but
> now the third is doing it.
>
> When attempting to connect to my wireless network, I get excellent
> connectivity, but it won't assign a decent ip to it. It should be giving
> me 192.168.1.25 or so - but instead it gives me 169.xxx.xx.xx. That
> doesn't work.
>
> I've read everything everywhere for a week. I've patched, uninstalled,
> reinstalled and I just don't know what else to do.
>
> I tried manually assigning - but I don't seem to know exactly what
> numbers go where.
>
> I have two desktops that have no trouble with their wireless connections.
>
> It's a Linksys WRT54GS and similar cards on the desktops.
> The laptops have had various cards.
>
> Is there any fix for this? From the on line stuff I've seen, this is a
> huge problem - but I couldn't find any messages on this list that seemed
> to address it directly.
>
> Thanks for any help! I'm desperate and worn out.
>
> Gina

Ted

The 169.x.x.x is Microsofts way of telling you that it is unable to reach
the DHCP server which is your router. Check your router settings and make
sure your Start IP address ends with 10 or 100 to keep it away from the
router IP address. Make sure you have set it with enough range to cover all
your computers. The answer is there somewhere. Google Linksys 169.xxx .
Ted

"E-Queen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've bought THREE new laptops in a week.
> I've returned the first two, thinking something is wrong with them, but
> now the third is doing it.
>
> When attempting to connect to my wireless network, I get excellent
> connectivity, but it won't assign a decent ip to it. It should be giving
> me 192.168.1.25 or so - but instead it gives me 169.xxx.xx.xx. That
> doesn't work.
>
> I've read everything everywhere for a week. I've patched, uninstalled,
> reinstalled and I just don't know what else to do.
>
> I tried manually assigning - but I don't seem to know exactly what numbers
> go where.
>
> I have two desktops that have no trouble with their wireless connections.
>
> It's a Linksys WRT54GS and similar cards on the desktops.
> The laptops have had various cards.
>
> Is there any fix for this? From the on line stuff I've seen, this is a
> huge problem - but I couldn't find any messages on this list that seemed
> to address it directly.
>
> Thanks for any help! I'm desperate and worn out.
>
> Gina

Brit W. [MS]

"Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> The 169.x.x.x is Microsofts way of telling you that it is unable to
> reach the DHCP server which is your router. Check your router
> settings and make sure your Start IP address ends with 10 or 100 to
> keep it away from the router IP address. Make sure you have set it
> with enough range to cover all your computers. The answer is there
> somewhere. Google Linksys 169.xxx . Ted
>
> "E-Queen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've bought THREE new laptops in a week.
>> I've returned the first two, thinking something is wrong with them,
>> but now the third is doing it.
>>
>> When attempting to connect to my wireless network, I get excellent
>> connectivity, but it won't assign a decent ip to it. It should be
>> giving me 192.168.1.25 or so - but instead it gives me 169.xxx.xx.xx.
>> That doesn't work.
>>
>> I've read everything everywhere for a week. I've patched,
>> uninstalled, reinstalled and I just don't know what else to do.
>>
>> I tried manually assigning - but I don't seem to know exactly what
>> numbers go where.
>>
>> I have two desktops that have no trouble with their wireless
>> connections.
>>
>> It's a Linksys WRT54GS and similar cards on the desktops.
>> The laptops have had various cards.
>>
>> Is there any fix for this? From the on line stuff I've seen, this is
>> a huge problem - but I couldn't find any messages on this list that
>> seemed to address it directly.
>>
>> Thanks for any help! I'm desperate and worn out.
>>
>> Gina

Additionally, it sounds like your computer is configured to use
Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA). By default TCP/IP uses APIAP to
provide automatic configuration when a DHCP server is not present, APIPA
uses the IP address range 169.254.0.1 to 169.254.255.254 and the subnet
mask 255.255.0.0. (you can verify that range and mask by right-clicking
on the connection icon in Network Connections, clicking "Status," then
selecting the "Support" tab. IF DHCP is enabled, "Address Type" should
indicate "Assigned by DHCP."

If the Support tab does not indicate "Assigned by DHCP," and the IP
range is 169.254.0.1 to 169.254.255.254 and the subnet mask 255.255.0.0,
you may just need to enable DHCP on the laptop by configuring TCP/IP for
dynamic addressing:

Open "Network Connections. "
Right-click the network connection that you want to configure, and then
click "Properties."
On the General tab (for a local area connection) or the Networking tab
(for all other connections), click "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)," and
then click "Properties."
Click "Obtain an IP address automatically," and then click "OK."

--
Brit Weston, Microsoft

Please do not send email directly to this alias. This is my online
account name for newsgroup participation only.

rights.