Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Ram upgrade, chassis temperature

Ram upgrade, chassis temperature

Old Wolf

I'm a bit out of date with PC technology, and need a
bit of information to help with upgrading the RAM in
my wife's PC !

The CPU is reported as "Intel(R) Pentium(R) D 3400MHz".
I thought it was a Core2 Duo, but Wikipedia says that a
Pentium D is an older dual-core version , is this definitely
what I have?

The motherboard is an Asus P5B VM-DO. It has
two pairs of two DIMM slots (one white and one
black in each pair). Currently there is a single
1GB stick of DDR2-800 RAM in a white slot.

Is DDR2-800 the correct spec for this CPU?

She mainly uses the PC for 3-D gaming. In order to
upgrade to 2GB and get best game performance,
should I buy a pair of 1GB DDR2-800 sticks and
use them in 'dual channel' mode, or should I just
get another 1GB stick and put it in a black slot?
(The current DIMM doesn't say what brand
it is, and I've read that you should get two modules
of the same brand for dual-channel operation).

Finally, in normal operation (not gaming), the
ASUS tempurature probe software says that the
CPU is around 71 degrees and the motherboard
at 55. In the motherboard manual it says that
the motherboard should ideally be at 38 degrees.
Should I be worried about these temperatures,
and if so, what should I do about it?

Old Wolf

On Nov 15, 8:19*pm, thing <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Old Wolf wrote:
> > I'm a bit out of date with PC technology, and need a
> > bit of information to help with upgrading the RAM in
> > my wife's PC !

> what games?

World of Warcraft is the main one!

> Get a free program cpu-z it will show hardware and ram type if you get
> gpu-z it will show the video hardware.

The important-looking fields:

GPU
-------
Name: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS
GPU: G73 Rev. B1
RAM: DDR2 512Mb
Driver Version: nv4_disp 6.11.7824 (ForceWare 178.24) / XP
GPU Temperature: 64C

Processor
--------
Name: Intel Pentium D 945 (Presler)

It looks like it really isn't a Core2 Duo, which is a bit
disturbing since I still have the original packaging
for the CPU, which says Core2 Duo on it!

> However, 1Gb should be enough for most things, its more likely if you
> are noticing its slow that you need to upgrade the video card and maybe
> the cpu, but give us the output from those two programs.

My own system is a 2200MHz (Athlon 64 3500+),
2GB ram, and the same model video card but with
only 256Mb of video ram -- and it runs the game
perfectly, without a hitch, and the CPU and MB
temperatures are cool and quiet.

Her game becomes jerky in areas with detailed
textures and a lot of other players, and it can
even crash when there are a lot of special
lighting effects going on. This seems to suggest
graphics issues -- but it would be hard to say
what they are, as her card is the same as mine
and the latest driver from nvidia.com is installed,
and she has in-game graphics settings turned
to nearly minimum, and gpu-z shows that the
GPU stays cool even during these problem periods.

However, the hard disk does chew a lot when
she is having the performance problems (it
is not full and is defragged btw); and Task
Manager shows that physical RAM usage
is at 95% .

> > Finally, in normal operation (not gaming), the
> > ASUS tempurature probe software says that the
> > CPU is around 71 degrees and the motherboard
> > at 55. *In the motherboard manual it says that
> > the motherboard should ideally be at 38 degrees.
> > Should I be worried about these temperatures,
> > and if so, what should I do about it?

> It does sound warm....what case is it? extra fan(s) would probably
> help...depends on the case....

The case is a "Foxconn 38 degree". Obviously it's
not doing its job! The chassis fan is very noisy:
not bearing noise, just the noise of air rushing
through it, it really cranks up loud when the game
is running.

I wonder if turning down the CPU frequency will
help with the temperature issue? The game
obviously doesn't require 3500MHz dual-core to
run (it runs great on my 2200 single core).
Actually I would have tried this already but I'm
not sure how to go about it - can I just turn
down the base clock from 200 to 166 say?
(the bios doesn't seem to let me change
the x17 multiplier).

Thanks for the information !

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Old Wolf wrote:

> On Nov 15, 8:19 pm, thing <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Old Wolf wrote:
>>> I'm a bit out of date with PC technology, and need a
>>> bit of information to help with upgrading the RAM in
>>> my wife's PC !

>> what games?

> World of Warcraft is the main one!
>
>> Get a free program cpu-z it will show hardware and ram type if you
>> get gpu-z it will show the video hardware.

> The important-looking fields:
>
> GPU
> -------
> Name: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS
> GPU: G73 Rev. B1
> RAM: DDR2 512Mb
> Driver Version: nv4_disp 6.11.7824 (ForceWare 178.24) / XP
> GPU Temperature: 64C
>
> Processor
> --------
> Name: Intel Pentium D 945 (Presler)
>
> It looks like it really isn't a Core2 Duo, which is a bit
> disturbing since I still have the original packaging
> for the CPU, which says Core2 Duo on it!

It most certainly isn't a C2D, rather a Pentium Dual core.

>> However, 1Gb should be enough for most things, its more likely if you
>> are noticing its slow that you need to upgrade the video card and
>> maybe the cpu, but give us the output from those two programs.

> My own system is a 2200MHz (Athlon 64 3500+),
> 2GB ram, and the same model video card but with
> only 256Mb of video ram -- and it runs the game
> perfectly, without a hitch, and the CPU and MB
> temperatures are cool and quiet.
>
> Her game becomes jerky in areas with detailed
> textures and a lot of other players, and it can
> even crash when there are a lot of special
> lighting effects going on. This seems to suggest
> graphics issues -- but it would be hard to say
> what they are, as her card is the same as mine
> and the latest driver from nvidia.com is installed,
> and she has in-game graphics settings turned
> to nearly minimum, and gpu-z shows that the
> GPU stays cool even during these problem periods.
>
> However, the hard disk does chew a lot when
> she is having the performance problems (it
> is not full and is defragged btw); and Task
> Manager shows that physical RAM usage
> is at 95% .

Needs more RAM. Cheap and easy to fit. If there are still problems after
that then face them when it happens I say.

>>> Finally, in normal operation (not gaming), the
>>> ASUS tempurature probe software says that the
>>> CPU is around 71 degrees and the motherboard
>>> at 55. In the motherboard manual it says that
>>> the motherboard should ideally be at 38 degrees.
>>> Should I be worried about these temperatures,
>>> and if so, what should I do about it?

>> It does sound warm....what case is it? extra fan(s) would probably
>> help...depends on the case....

> The case is a "Foxconn 38 degree". Obviously it's
> not doing its job! The chassis fan is very noisy:
> not bearing noise, just the noise of air rushing
> through it, it really cranks up loud when the game
> is running.
>
> I wonder if turning down the CPU frequency will
> help with the temperature issue? The game
> obviously doesn't require 3500MHz dual-core to
> run (it runs great on my 2200 single core).
> Actually I would have tried this already but I'm
> not sure how to go about it - can I just turn
> down the base clock from 200 to 166 say?
> (the bios doesn't seem to let me change
> the x17 multiplier).

Yes, you can simply lower the FSB to 166 if you so desire. I have no
first-hand experience with those Pentium Daul cores but, with a C2D, with
the right mobo, you can reduce the multiplier once you find the right place
in BIOS to do it. (You just can't increase it above the stock max.)

Luck,
--
Shaun.

Old Wolf

On Nov 16, 2:10*pm, "PeeCee" <ab...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
> From my experience just buy another 1GB of DDR2 800 at whatever
> price/quality point suits your needs.

I went out and did that yesterday. Then, murphy's law,
after installing the RAM I discovered a setting in the
game (dynamic shadows) that was killing the graphics
performance. I'm sure the RAM will help anyway though

> The temperatures you report suggest you case is not very well ventilated.
> Take the side of the case clear out any dust blocking the CPU heat sink and
> fans then *direct a desk fan at the open case.
> If your temperatures drop significantly then consider adding more case
> fan's.

I got as much dust as I could off the chassis fan and
the CPU . I could wipe the caked dust off the chassis
fan with my finger, but not the CPU fan. The fan RPMs
are a lot lower now and the temperatures are about
5 degrees lower. (CPU shows green now, motherboard
is still red at 46 but it's closer to 38 than it was!)

Thanks to everybody who replied!