Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Ping HEMI-POWERED

Ping HEMI-POWERED

doS

bet you looked good in a dress

news(E-Mail Removed) ynet.net...

> Hey.
>
> Back in the late '60s I used to go to the drags frequently. I hadn't been
> in nearly 40 years until I went out to Pomona yesterday. I had a great
> time. Some things have changed; some things haven't. I had a lot of
> flashbacks yesterday. Nothing like the way a fueler rattles your insides
> on its run.
>
> Here's a nice visual I caught.
>
> http://www.pbase.com/blinkytheshark/image/105928128
>
> I have a new camera; yesterday was a shakedown for shooting fast subjects
> with it; I was quite pleased.
>
> Starting line fun:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/blinkytheshark/image/105929250
>

> --
> Blinky
> Killing all posts from Google Groups
> The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org
> Need a new news feed? http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html

doS

just kidding mate brill pic too!!!

news(E-Mail Removed) ynet.net...
> doS wrote:
>
>> bet you looked good in a dress
>>
>> "Blinky the Shark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed) ynet.net...
>>>
>>> Hey.
>>>
>>> Back in the late '60s I used to go to the drags frequently. I hadn't
>>> been
>>> in nearly 40 years until I went out to Pomona yesterday. I had a great
>>> time. Some things have changed; some things haven't. I had a lot of
>>> flashbacks yesterday. Nothing like the way a fueler rattles your
>>> insides
>>> on its run.
>>>
>>> Here's a nice visual I caught.
>>>
>>> http://www.pbase.com/blinkytheshark/image/105928128
>>>
>>> I have a new camera; yesterday was a shakedown for shooting fast
>>> subjects
>>> with it; I was quite pleased.
>>>
>>> Starting line fun:
>>>
>>> http://www.pbase.com/blinkytheshark/image/105929250

> Response to top-post: Blinky looks good in anything!
>
> --
> Blinky
> Killing all posts from Google Groups
> The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org
> Need a new news feed? http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html

Blinky the Shark

HEMI-Powered wrote:

> Blinky the Shark added these comments in the current discussion
> du jour ...
>
>> Back in the late '60s I used to go to the drags frequently. I
>> hadn't been in nearly 40 years until I went out to Pomona
>> yesterday. I had a great time. Some things have changed;
>> some things haven't. I had a lot of flashbacks yesterday.
>> Nothing like the way a fueler rattles your insides on its run.
>>

>> Here's a nice visual I caught.
>>
>> http://www.pbase.com/blinkytheshark/image/105928128
>>
>> I have a new camera; yesterday was a shakedown for shooting
>> fast subjects with it; I was quite pleased.
>>
>> Starting line fun:
>>
>> http://www.pbase.com/blinkytheshark/image/105929250
>>

> Nice sites, thanks, Blinky.
>
> Believe it or nor, I've never been to a drag strip, not Milan or
> Detroit Dragway, nowhere. Likewise, I've never been to a
> professional sports game, ever.

I used to go to what was called (may still be) US131 Dragway. It was
along side US131 (literally) between Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo, near the
village of Martin.

> But, I did do a fair amount of street racing.
>
> I pretty much stopped liking NASCAR racing when it stopped being a race
> of "stock cars" as it's name implies. It is more today like IROC -
> International Race Of Champions - where everybody drives an identical
> car and is thus a race of driver skill and not cars. OK, fine.

Yeah. Racing was more fun when they could experiment. Let's say when
they "tried out" the Ford Lotus as Jimmy Clark's ride, and all of a sudden
they were the dominant hardware at Indy. (I've been to an Indy 500; and
got paid to shoot it.)

> Likewise, I stopped likeing drag racing after cars stopped using engines
> derived from something in production cars for the very same reason. I
> see no glory in building a Mopar Hemi drag race engine from a solid
> billet of aluminum and just making it look like a Mopar. Some do, I
> don't.

> One dragster driver I used to greatly admire was Shirley Muldowney in an

Cha-Cha!

> old-rear seat rail. Other's including Don Garlits and Connie Kalitta,

Yeah, when I was going, they were still using slingshots.

I once grabbed a discarded piece of rear-end gear that Kalitta pulled out
of his car in the pits and kept it for years as a souvenir. There's a
Kalitta racing now -- dunno if it's a son or a grandson.

> Muldowney's mentor and boyfriend. In those days, Top Fuel drag racing
> was a combination of engine and car building talent and raw driving
> ability, and NOT seeing how much over 7,000 hp one can attain for 1,320
> feet.

But you hafta admit that's an impressive hp-to-foot ratio.

> It's just me, I guess. So, my meager collection of drag race pictures
> pretty much stops at about the 1970s when things got out-of-control -
> from my point of view.
>
> All of that aside, what did YOU drive back then, Blinky?

Drive? (I didn't race.) 1964 Corvette.

> And, what new camera did you buy? I assume a good DSLR with a high burst
> rate or at least very low shutter lag.

I moved up from my Nikon D60 to the new D90 released a couple of months
ago. Burst is 4.5 shots per second.

--

philo wrote:

> I think it's just a matter of time before nuclear and coal will have to be
> relied on considerably more.

"Building an alt-energy power plant is risky and expensive, but thanks to
a new ruling by an Environmental Protection Agency panel, building a coal
plant may become riskier and more expensive...."

Source: http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2...pa-ruling.html

--

HEMI-Powered wrote:

> My father's first new car in his entire life was a 1957 Plymouth
> station wagon - with a flat-head six, 3-on-the-tree and electric

A flathead in *1957*?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

joevan

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 13:03:55 -0800, Blinky the Shark
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>HEMI-Powered wrote:
>
>> My father's first new car in his entire life was a 1957 Plymouth
>> station wagon - with a flat-head six, 3-on-the-tree and electric

>A flathead in *1957*?

He is probably reflecting on what his father called him in 57 a
towhead, or a flathead 3 year old.

Bucky Breeder

joevan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 13:03:55 -0800, Blinky the Shark
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>HEMI-Powered wrote:
>>
>>> My father's first new car in his entire life was a 1957 Plymouth
>>> station wagon - with a flat-head six, 3-on-the-tree and electric

>>A flathead in *1957*?

> He is probably reflecting on what his father called him in 57 a
> towhead, or a flathead 3 year old.

Ya, after his mommie dropped him on his head - prolly on purpose.

(; JK. It could'a been an accident while she was reaching for
her crack pipe.

--

I'm Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , & I'd audition Sarah Palin for MILFs Gone Wild.

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/2008/11/6haynes.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfJunZu22VU

Blinky the Shark

HEMI-Powered wrote:

> Blinky the Shark added these comments in the current discussion
> du jour ...
>
>> I used to go to what was called (may still be) US131 Dragway.
>> It was along side US131 (literally) between Grand Rapids and
>> Kalamazoo, near the village of Martin.

> Really?! I've been to Grand Rapids a couple of times but never
> really had a chance to tour. It's at least a two-hour tough drive
> for me and I have no good reason to go there these days.

I lived in Grand Rapids the last ten years before I moved to Los Angeles.
At about the beginning of that decade, I married a girl from Kalamazoo;
she was from there, and her family was all there, so I did many, many
trips on US131 between the towns.

> Last year I saw a really good IMAX 3-D movie titled just "NASCAR". Some
> outstanding shots through the windshield of a race car. And, about 1/3
> was devoted just to the design and building of the engines and cars. I
> take nothing away from the builders, of course, but the only thing that
> differentiates a Dodge from a Chevy from a Ford these days are the
> decals. Bah, humbug!

It's incredible what they're doing now with broadcast technology with auto
racing.

>> Yeah, when I was going, they were still using slingshots.

> Garlits nearly losing a leg was perhaps the best illustration of why the
> dragsters needed to have rear engines. About that same time, HP went

And for fire, as well.

> crazy and even later, computers got into the game. Now, as you know, I'm
> a big IT fan, but one place I think best left to ingenuity still is
> racing. Sorry.

I have a photo of that somewhere. Let me look......

http://blinkynet.net/stuff/wheredidmyfeetgo.jpg

>>> ability, and NOT seeing how much over 7,000 hp one can attain for
>>> 1,320 feet.

>> But you hafta admit that's an impressive hp-to-foot ratio.

> As you know, I was edumacated as an engineer. I KNOW that it is
> impossible to generate more than 1G of accelation with tires, the
> coefficient of friction is the limiting factor and says that it is
> completely independent of surface area. Except that it's not. At least,

> not if one can deform the tires to keep more rubber on the ground for
> longer during the launch and keep it there down the strip. Then, it IS
> possible to put 7,000 horses and I don't know how many torques on the
> ground and use it to do Newton's F = MA, from which one can do the
> integral to backfind acceleration. And, with a few derivatives and
> integrals from this basic law of motion, it is possible to predict ET
> and trap speed. Yeah, that could be done in Kalitta's day, too, but it
> was easier to just go run 'er!

I have another

>>> All of that aside, what did YOU drive back then, Blinky?

>> Drive? (I didn't race.) 1964 Corvette.

> I meant on the street, Blinky. What are the details on your Vette,
> engine, etc.? And, new or used? What about now?

My answer was "on the street". Used. 327" 4.11 rear (I replaced a
blown out diff). Headers and Edlebrock intake manifold. Holley. Factory
rated 365 HP, 10 below the FI version. Today I drive a Ford Focus.
(From 1983 until I got the Focus in 2005, I drove a Triumph.)

>>> And, what new camera did you buy? I assume a good DSLR with a high
>>> burst rate or at least very low shutter lag.

>> I moved up from my Nikon D60 to the new D90 released a couple of months
>> ago. Burst is 4.5 shots per second.
>>

> Nice camera. I chose Canon a few years back because the Rebel XT was
> about 25% lighter and smaller than a Nikon D70s. I liked it except for
> the noise, but now I am just in love with my newer Rebel XSi. No need
> for the big guns, this is more camera than I can really handle.

My D60 is a small-body true DSLR. The D90 fits me better, although it's
still smaller than the D3.

Lenses: Nikkor 18-55mm VR, Nikkor 55-200mm VR, Nikkor 18-105mm VR, Tamron
90mm f/2.8 macro, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 ultrawide

> Seems to me that the real problem in taking pictures at the drags is to
> get enough telephoto and enough burst yet at the same time get a high
> enough shutter to avoid shake and blur (unless you want that!) and a
> small enough aperture to take care of AF misses. That said, I sometimes
> go to the full 12 MP of my Rebel to get an effective zoom and keep the
> DOF of a shorter lens.

That shot (the heat ripples) was a crop from a 12MP image.

> So, in your case, what lens(es) do you find best? And, what ISO do you

See list above.

> typically shoot? And, RAW or JPEG? If I had the time and energy, I'd go
> RAW, just don't have either though.

All of those Qs depend. I try to shoot as much at ISO 200 as I can,
but the D90 is very good with much higher speeds. The heat distortion
image was shot at f/8 at 1/1000 with ISO400. 200mm focal length, cropped.

Lenses naturally depend on the subject (see below); all I took to the
drags was my 55-200. I shoot RAW when I'm serious; I snapshot with JPG
fine; I always shoot full resolution (image size). (Nikon changed their
RAW format a bit with the D90, so until I get software to handle that I'm
shooting JPG.)

Macro lens: http://www.pbase.com/blinkytheshark/flora

Wide lens: http://blinkynet.net/stuff/season_over.jpg

Medium tele zoom (tech details below image), not much cropping:
http://www.pbase.com/blinkytheshark/image/97680000

And so on.