Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Array of point to arrays of different size

Reply
Thread Tools

Array of point to arrays of different size

 
 
Edward Jensen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-14-2008
Hi,

I have the following static arrays of different size in a class:

in header:
static double w2[2], x2[2];
static double w3[3], x3[3];
static double w4[4], x4[4];

in GaussLegendre.cpp:
double GaussLegendre::w2[2] = {1.0, 1.0};
double GaussLegendre:2[2] = {-0.577350269189625, 0.577350269189625};
double GaussLegendre::w3[3] = {0.555555555555556, 0.8888888888888889,
0.555555555555556};
double GaussLegendre:3[3] = {-0.774596669241483, 0.0, 0.774596669241483};
double GaussLegendre::w4[4] = {0.347854845137453, 0.652145154862546,
0.652145154862546, 0.347854845137453};
double GaussLegendre:4[4] = {-0.861136311594053, -0.339981043584856,
0.339981043584856, 0.861136311594053};

Now I want to create a static array of pointers of x2, x3, x4 and w2,w2,w4.
I thought I could do that with just
declaring statis double* x[3] in my header and the following in .cpp:

double* GaussLegendre:[3] = {&GaussLegendre:2, &GaussLegendre:3,
&GaussLegendre:4};

but I get the following error: cannot convert from 'double (*)[2]' to
'double *

Why is that and how can it be done?

Thanks in advance,
Edward


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Salt_Peter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-14-2008
On Nov 14, 4:57*pm, "Edward Jensen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have the following static arrays of different size in a class:
>
> in header:
> static double w2[2], x2[2];
> static double w3[3], x3[3];
> static double w4[4], x4[4];
>
> in GaussLegendre.cpp:
> double GaussLegendre::w2[2] = {1.0, 1.0};
> double GaussLegendre:2[2] = {-0.577350269189625, 0.577350269189625};
> double GaussLegendre::w3[3] = {0.555555555555556, 0.8888888888888889,
> 0.555555555555556};
> double GaussLegendre:3[3] = {-0.774596669241483, 0.0, 0.774596669241483};
> double GaussLegendre::w4[4] = {0.347854845137453, 0.652145154862546,
> 0.652145154862546, 0.347854845137453};
> double GaussLegendre:4[4] = {-0.861136311594053, -0.339981043584856,
> 0.339981043584856, 0.861136311594053};
>
> Now I want to create a static array of pointers of x2, x3, x4 and w2,w2,w4.
> I thought I could do that with just
> declaring statis double* x[3] in my header and the following in .cpp:
>
> double* GaussLegendre:[3] = {&GaussLegendre:2, &GaussLegendre:3,
> &GaussLegendre:4};
>
> but I get the following error: cannot convert from 'double (*)[2]' to
> 'double *
>
> Why is that and how can it be done?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Edward


You can point to a double using a double*, you certainly can't point
to an array of doubles of varying sizes. You can however point to the
first element of each array. Something as follows:

double* GaussLegendre:[3] = { &GaussLegendre:2[0],
&GaussLegendre:3[0],
&GaussLegendre:4[0] };

However, the elements of x know nothing about the contents of the
arrays that are part of.
To solve the issue, use dynamic containers. Lets take a std::deque of
std::vectors< double > for example (ignore the operator<< for now - it
just displays the populated containers). Notice how much simpler
coding without pointers is.

#include <iostream>
#include <ostream>
#include <deque>
#include <vector>
#include <algorithm>
#include <iterator>

namespace D
{
std::deque< std::vector< double > > dvd;
}

template < typename T >
std:stream& operator<<( std:stream& os,
std::deque< std::vector< T > >& r_d )
{
typedef typename std::deque< std::vector< T > >::iterator DIter;
for( DIter iter = r_d.begin(); iter != r_d.end(); ++iter )
{
std::copy( (*iter).begin(),
(*iter).end(),
std:stream_iterator< T >( os, " ") );
os << std::endl;
}
return os;
}

int main()
{
using namespace D;

std::vector< double > v1(10, 1.1); // 10 elements all initialized
std::vector< double > v2(11, 2.2);
std::vector< double > v3(12, 3.3);

dvd.push_back( v1 );
dvd.push_back( v2 );
dvd.push_back( v3 );

std::cout << dvd;
}

/*
1.1 1.1 1.1 1.1 1.1 1.1 1.1 1.1 1.1 1.1
2.2 2.2 2.2 2.2 2.2 2.2 2.2 2.2 2.2 2.2 2.2
3.3 3.3 3.3 3.3 3.3 3.3 3.3 3.3 3.3 3.3 3.3 3.3
*/

// Both the elements (std::vector< double >) and the deque itself
remain dynamic.

dvd[0].push_back( 9.9 ); // add an eleventh double to 1st collection

// How about loading a std::deque named d1 with
// four std::vector< double > containers
// all having 10 elements initialized to 0.1:

std::deque< std::vector< double > > d1(4, std::vector< double >(10,
0.1));

// Thats one line, and the containers remain dynamic.
// Still thinking of using primitive arrays and pointers?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Andrey Tarasevich
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-15-2008
Edward Jensen wrote:
>
> Now I want to create a static array of pointers of x2, x3, x4 and w2,w2,w4.
> I thought I could do that with just
> declaring statis double* x[3] in my header and the following in .cpp:
>
> double* GaussLegendre:[3] = {&GaussLegendre:2, &GaussLegendre:3,
> &GaussLegendre:4};
>
> but I get the following error: cannot convert from 'double (*)[2]' to
> 'double *
>
> Why is that


In C and C++, when you apply the unary '&' to an array, you get a value
of pointer-to-array type. For example, if array 'a' is declared as

int a[10];

the expression '&a' has type 'int (*)[10]' - a pointer to an array of 10
'int's

int (*pa)[10] = &a; // OK

This type is not convertible to 'int*'

int *pi = &a; // ERROR

This is exactly the error your code produces.

> and how can it be done?


Since you are trying to point to arrays of _different_ sizes, using
pointers of pointer-to-array type is not an option. Instead, just use an
array of "regular" pointers (which is what you have already) and make
the point to the very first element of each array

double* GaussLegendre:[3] = {
&GaussLegendre:2[0],
&GaussLegendre:3[0],
&GaussLegendre:4[0]
};

or alternatively (and equivalently)

double* GaussLegendre:[3] = {
GaussLegendre:2,
GaussLegendre:3,
GaussLegendre:4
};

(note that there's no '&' operator in the latter case).

--
Best regards,
Andrey Tarasevich
 
Reply With Quote
 
James Kanze
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-15-2008
On Nov 15, 12:59*am, Salt_Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Nov 14, 4:57*pm, "Edward Jensen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:


> > I have the following static arrays of different size in a class:


> > in header:
> > static double w2[2], x2[2];
> > static double w3[3], x3[3];
> > static double w4[4], x4[4];


> > in GaussLegendre.cpp:
> > double GaussLegendre::w2[2] = {1.0, 1.0};
> > double GaussLegendre:2[2] = {-0.577350269189625, 0.577350269189625};
> > double GaussLegendre::w3[3] = {0.555555555555556, 0.8888888888888889,
> > 0.555555555555556};
> > double GaussLegendre:3[3] = {-0.774596669241483, 0.0, 0.774596669241483};
> > double GaussLegendre::w4[4] = {0.347854845137453, 0.652145154862546,
> > 0.652145154862546, 0.347854845137453};
> > double GaussLegendre:4[4] = {-0.861136311594053, -0.339981043584856,
> > 0.339981043584856, 0.861136311594053};


So presumably that bit in header was within the defintion of the
class GaussLegendre.

> > Now I want to create a static array of pointers of x2, x3,
> > x4 and w2,w2,w4. I thought I could do that with just
> > declaring statis double* x[3] in my header and the following
> > in .cpp:


> > double* GaussLegendre:[3] = {&GaussLegendre:2, &GaussLegendre:3,
> > &GaussLegendre:4};


> > but I get the following error: cannot convert from 'double (*)[2]' to
> > 'double *


You should get an error about defining a variable twice, and/or
defining it with a different type than it was declared with.

> > Why is that and how can it be done?


> You can point to a double using a double*, you certainly can't
> point to an array of doubles of varying sizes. You can however
> point to the first element of each array. Something as
> follows:


> double* GaussLegendre:[3] = { &GaussLegendre:2[0],
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * &GaussLegendre:3[0],
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * &GaussLegendre:4[0] };


That's certainly legal, but it's far more idiomatic to use the
implicit conversion of array to pointer here, as Sam suggested.
While it may be a misfeature, it's use is ubiquious, and
unavoidable if you are using C style arrays.

> However, the elements of x know nothing about the contents of the
> arrays that are part of.


Which is as it should be. (But I think you're trying to say
something else. You surely don't mean that the value in x[1]
should know something about x as a whole.)

> To solve the issue, use dynamic containers. Lets take a
> std::deque of std::vectors< double > for example (ignore the
> operator<< for now - it just displays the populated
> containers). Notice how much simpler coding without pointers
> is.


As a general rule, std::vector should be preferred, so his
double[] would become std::vector<double>, and he really can
have an array of pointers to arrays, std::vector< std::vector<
double >* >. I'd want to know more about his particular use,
however, before doing that here. I have a sneaky suspicion that
he's forgotten the const, and there is one place where C style
arrays are better: they allow static initialization. If all of
these tables are in fact const, it might make more sense (and it
would certainly require less code) to leave them as C style
arrays, i.e. something like:

double const GaussLegendre::w2[2] = {1.0, 1.0};
// ...
double const *const GaussLegendre:2[2] = { ... } ;

Typically, I'd also leave off the size of the dimension, and
let the compiler calculate it. But again, I'm not sure here; I
think the actual size may be important, in which case, it's
better explicitly stating it.

--
James Kanze (GABI Software) email:(E-Mail Removed)
Conseils en informatique orientée objet/
Beratung in objektorientierter Datenverarbeitung
9 place Sémard, 78210 St.-Cyr-l'École, France, +33 (0)1 30 23 00 34
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Share-Point-2010 ,Share-Point -2010 Training , Share-point-2010Hyderabad , Share-point-2010 Institute Saraswati lakki ASP .Net 0 01-06-2012 06:39 AM
Multidimensional arrays and arrays of arrays Philipp Java 21 01-20-2009 08:33 AM
Scenario 5: IS-IS routing on Frame Relay Multi-point and Point-to-Point David Sudjiman Cisco 0 06-08-2006 09:11 AM
Could a struct with size 44 bytes point always points to a char array with size 2024 bytes? eagle_jyjh@citiz.net C++ 8 04-10-2006 03:05 PM
Could a struct with size 44 bytes point always points to a char array with size 2048 bytes? eagle_jyjh@citiz.net C Programming 5 04-09-2006 02:49 PM



Advertisments