Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Get anonymous user

Get anonymous user

shapper

Hello,

I am trying to get an anonymous user using the following:

MembershipUser user = System.Web.Security.Membership.GetUser();

However, user is null. On my Web.Config I have the following:

<anonymousIdentification
cookieless="UseCookies"
cookieName=".AnonymousIdentification"
cookiePath="/"
cookieProtection="Validation"
cookieRequireSSL="false"
cookieSlidingExpiration="true"
cookieTimeout="100000"
enabled="true"/>

I cleaned all my browser cookies and ran the web site but I always get
user = null.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Miguel

shapper

On Nov 14, 6:11*pm, "Patrice" <http://www.chez.com/scribe/> wrote:
> The overall goal is ? You are confusing MemberShip and Profile ?
>
> I'm not sure what you expect to get for an anonymous user (i.e. by design
> the user is not known so ???). The profile feature on the other hand have
> the ability to migrate an anonymous profile to an authenticated user (if
> this is what you are looking for)
>
> --
> Patrice
>
> "shapper" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de groupe de
> discussion :
> (E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Hello,

> > I am trying to get an anonymous user using the following:

> > MembershipUser user = System.Web.Security.Membership.GetUser();

> > However, user is null. On my Web.Config I have the following:

> > * *<anonymousIdentification
> > * * *cookieless="UseCookies"
> > * * *cookieName=".AnonymousIdentification"
> > * * *cookiePath="/"
> > * * *cookieProtection="Validation"
> > * * *cookieRequireSSL="false"
> > * * *cookieSlidingExpiration="true"
> > * * *cookieTimeout="100000"
> > * * *enabled="true"/>

> > I cleaned all my browser cookies and ran the web site but I always get
> > user = null.

> > What am I doing wrong?

> > Thanks,

> > Miguel

I understand that an anonymous user is set my a cookie.
But when using a custom profile provider that inherits ProfileBase how
can I get the anonymous properties of the anonymous user?

I tried always get an error ... that is why I was thinking I might
need to somehow get the anonymous user first or something like this.

Thanks,
Miguel