Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Have css not cascade?

Re: Have css not cascade?

Jukka K. Korpela

Spud wrote:

> Is it possible to get a style to apply only to a parent element, and
> not its children?

Yes. But why does your Subject line ask a completely different question, and
one that asks for something logically impossible (Cascading Style Sheets
without cascade)?

Beware that any CSS-related question containing the word "cascade" or
"inherit" in some form contains at least one fundamental misconception.

> Example:

URL?

> <ul>
> <li style="open">one

Why not post at least real code?

If "open" stands for some style sheet, then it all depends on what it
contains. Hence my request for a URL or at least real code. Some properties
are inherited under some conditions, some are not.

> I'd like to toggle the style of parent <li> or <ul> tags without
> affecting the children.

Toggle? Tags? You sound confused, as expected.

> Unfortunately, the style cascades down the tree.

Unfortunately, it seems that you have to start learning what CSS is.

> I have the same problem with event handlers.

That's something completely different.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Re: Have css not cascade? Roy A. HTML 0 11-14-2008 02:34 AM
Re: Have css not cascade? Adrienne Boswell HTML 0 11-14-2008 12:12 AM
Re: Have css not cascade? dorayme HTML 0 11-14-2008 12:09 AM
Have a web site that is 'secure' but want to have a subdirectory that is not. UJ ASP .Net 1 11-20-2006 03:47 PM
Why I have error message "not have an entry point defined"? =?Utf-8?B?ZGF2aWQ=?= ASP .Net 6 08-18-2005 11:09 AM

Advertisments