Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > won't detect wireless network but says there are available network

won't detect wireless network but says there are available network

Elsiehar

I have had my media centre pc connected to a wireless network for about a
year with no problem and now it will no longer detect any networks via the XP
connection method. I have recently installed SP3 but couldn't say if it was
straight after that I had the problem or not. I did a system restore but it
still doesn't work. The strange thing is that the networks are detected via
PC-Cillian Transaction Protector and via the software that came with the
wireless card (D-Link DWA-556) network card. It also pops up with the yellow
window that says "wireless networks detected, right click for more
infromation" but when I click on find available wireless networks it won't
detect any. A lap top in the same location detects about 7.

Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

It could be XP SP3 issue. Try to remove it and reinstall it with safe mode.
Or this search result may help.
Wireless issue after installing XP SP3
USB Wireless not working after XP SP3 download · Wireless doesn't work
after XP SP3 installation · Wireless doesn't work because XP SP3 overwrites
a file ...
www.wifimvp.com/wireless&xpsp3.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"Elsiehar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have had my media centre pc connected to a wireless network for about a
> year with no problem and now it will no longer detect any networks via the
> XP
> connection method. I have recently installed SP3 but couldn't say if it
> was
> straight after that I had the problem or not. I did a system restore but
> it
> still doesn't work. The strange thing is that the networks are detected
> via
> PC-Cillian Transaction Protector and via the software that came with the
> wireless card (D-Link DWA-556) network card. It also pops up with the
> yellow
> window that says "wireless networks detected, right click for more
> infromation" but when I click on find available wireless networks it won't
> detect any. A lap top in the same location detects about 7.
>
> Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated.
> Thanks

Pavel A.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It could be XP SP3 issue. Try to remove it and reinstall it with safe
> mode. Or this search result may help.
> Wireless issue after installing XP SP3
> USB Wireless not working after XP SP3 download · Wireless doesn't
> work after XP SP3 installation · Wireless doesn't work because XP SP3
> overwrites a file ...
> www.wifimvp.com/wireless&xpsp3.htm

Also, IIRC, the XP Media Center software uses a slightly different method
to detect wi-fi adapters, and is pickier than the WZC GUI or vendor
utilities.

Below is a simple vbscript that I wrote to diagnose this problem, it
uses same method as Media Center,
if it won't show any adapters, then you have the same issue,
and only the wi-fi adapter vendor can fix it.

(the news reader may wrap long lines. If you can't make it run,
please email me and I'll send you it zipped. Remove NO from my addr)

-------------------- cut here ---------
' Script to repro the XP 3945 driver issue on TabletXP
' Get wireless adapters info using WMI
' Watch for "show good icon" or "show bad icon" message in the end
'Run with CSCRIPT v5.6+
' pa02 17-oct-2006

Wscript.Echo "Enumerating wireless adapters"
On Error Resume Next
N = 0

Set wmi = GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonat e}!root/wmi")

If Err.Number <> 0 Then
Wscript.Echo "Error opening WMI:" & Err.Number
Wscript.Quit 1
End If

Set AdapterSet = wmi.ExecQuery("select * from MSNdis_80211_BSSIList")

If Err.Number <> 0 Then
Wscript.Echo "Error getting wireless info:" & Err.Number
Wscript.Quit 2
End If

For each wa in AdapterSet
WScript.Echo "Adapter name=", wa.InstanceName
WScript.Echo "Number Of Items in scan list=", wa.NumberOfItems
N = N + wa.NumberOfItems
WScript.Echo "----"
Next

If Err.Number <> 0 Then
' Wscript.Echo "Error in enumeration (no wlan adapters exist?)", Err.Number
' on my tp with 2100: Err.Number=424 = "Object required" ?
If Err.Number <> 424 Then Wscript.Echo "Error in enumeration:", Err.Number
End If

M = -1
' *** If AdapterSet is "bad value", the following line has no effect ***
M = AdapterSet.Count

If M > 0 Then
Wscript.Echo "Adapter count (using BSSIDLIST)=", M
Wscript.Echo "Total networks visible=", N
' Note: N can be 0 if the driver runs under Proset (no implicit scans),
this is ok.
End If

If M <> -1 Then

' Now try RSSI
On Error Resume Next

Set AdapterSet = wmi.ExecQuery("select * from
MSNdis_80211_ReceivedSignalStrength")

If Err.Number <> 0 Then
Wscript.Echo "Error from WMI:" & Err.Number
Wscript.Quit 2
End If

N2 = 0

For each wa in AdapterSet
WScript.Echo "Adapter name=", wa.InstanceName
WScript.Echo "RSSI=", wa.Ndis80211ReceivedSignalStrength
N2 = N2 + 1
WScript.Echo "----"
Next

Wscript.Echo "Adapter count (using RSSI)=", N2

End If

If N2 <> 0 Then
Wscript.Echo "Wireless adapters found - Show good icon "
Else
Wscript.Echo "No wireless, show bad icon "
End If

--------cut here ---------

Regards,
--PA

> "Elsiehar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have had my media centre pc connected to a wireless network for about a
>> year with no problem and now it will no longer detect any networks via
>> the XP
>> connection method. I have recently installed SP3 but couldn't say if it
>> was
>> straight after that I had the problem or not. I did a system restore but
>> it
>> still doesn't work. The strange thing is that the networks are detected
>> via
>> PC-Cillian Transaction Protector and via the software that came with the
>> wireless card (D-Link DWA-556) network card. It also pops up with the
>> yellow
>> window that says "wireless networks detected, right click for more
>> infromation" but when I click on find available wireless networks it
>> won't
>> detect any. A lap top in the same location detects about 7.
>>
>> Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated.
>> Thanks

Elsiehar

Thanks,
I contacted the manufacturer and they haved have a new driver for SP3. I
did install it but windows wouldn't start up with that driver.....caused me
all kinds of headaches had to do a reinsall from scratch. As is it is just
my media centre PC I think I will just stick to SP2 as SP3 also appears to
cause media centre issues as well!

"Pavel A." wrote:

> [...]

> >> the XP
> >> connection method. I have recently installed SP3 but couldn't say if it
> >> was
> >> straight after that I had the problem or not. I did a system restore but
> >> it
> >> still doesn't work. The strange thing is that the networks are detected
> >> via
> >> PC-Cillian Transaction Protector and via the software that came with the
> >> wireless card (D-Link DWA-556) network card. It also pops up with the
> >> yellow
> >> window that says "wireless networks detected, right click for more
> >> infromation" but when I click on find available wireless networks it
> >> won't
> >> detect any. A lap top in the same location detects about 7.
> >>
> >> Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated.

smlunatick

On Jan 1, 8:25*pm, Elsiehar <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> [...]

> > * * Wscript.Quit 2
> > * End If

> > * N2 = *0

> > * For each wa in AdapterSet
> > * * * * * WScript.Echo "Adapter name=", wa.InstanceName
> > * * * * * WScript.Echo "RSSI=", wa.Ndis80211ReceivedSignalStrength
> > * * * * * N2 = N2 + 1
> > * * * * * WScript.Echo "----"
> > * Next

> > * Wscript.Echo "Adapter count (using RSSI)=", N2

> > End If

> > If N2 <> 0 Then
> > * Wscript.Echo "Wireless adapters found - Show good icon "
> > Else
> > * Wscript.Echo "No wireless, show bad icon "
> > End If

> > Regards,
> > --PA

> > > "Elsiehar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

Which wireless configuration system are you using? D-Link offers
their own configuration control system or you can use the Wireless
Zero Configuration built into XP. Do not use both.