Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > opensource CA server

opensource CA server

vaneric

hi
i want to learn the working of a cert authority server.can someone
suggest a good opensource CA server?
thanks
eric

Arne Vajhj

vaneric wrote:
> i want to learn the working of a cert authority server.can someone
> suggest a good opensource CA server?

One possibility is:
http://www.ejbca.org/

Arne

Nigel Wade

vaneric wrote:

> hi
> i want to learn the working of a cert authority server.can someone
> suggest a good opensource CA server?
> thanks
> eric

OpenSSL may be as good a place as any to start. You will certainly get to see
the inner workings of a CA laid bare. Look at http://www.openssl.org. It has no
relation to Java, however.

OpenSSL has all the necessary tools for creation of your own CA, for generating
cert. requests and signing those requests. However it has little in the way of
documentation other than the UNIX style man pages. There is a howto at:
http://www.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/l...tes-HOWTO.html

--
Nigel Wade

Arne Vajhj

Nigel Wade wrote:
> vaneric wrote:
>> i want to learn the working of a cert authority server.can someone
>> suggest a good opensource CA server?

> OpenSSL may be as good a place as any to start. You will certainly get to see
> the inner workings of a CA laid bare. Look at http://www.openssl.org. It has no
> relation to Java, however.
>
> OpenSSL has all the necessary tools for creation of your own CA, for generating
> cert. requests and signing those requests.

Does OpenSSL work as a CA server ?

Arne

Nigel Wade

Arne Vajhøj wrote:

> Nigel Wade wrote:
>> vaneric wrote:
>>> i want to learn the working of a cert authority server.can someone
>>> suggest a good opensource CA server?

>> OpenSSL may be as good a place as any to start. You will certainly get to see
>> the inner workings of a CA laid bare. Look at http://www.openssl.org. It has

no
>> relation to Java, however.
>>
>> OpenSSL has all the necessary tools for creation of your own CA, for

generating
>> cert. requests and signing those requests.

> Does OpenSSL work as a CA server ?

It can certainly be a CA.

What is the distinction is between a CA and a CA server?

--
Nigel Wade

Hendrik Maryns