Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > WCF service install on 2003 fails using new ADMIN user but works as user ADMINISTRATOR

WCF service install on 2003 fails using new ADMIN user but works as user ADMINISTRATOR

Scott

Attempting to install WCF service on stand alone 2003 server as a admin user
(not administrator but user "WCF" i.e user added to local admin group). It
fails with user error:

The description for Event ID ( 11001 ) in Source ( MsiInstaller ) cannot be
found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be
able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and
Support for details. The following information is part of the event:
Product: Host -- Error 1001. Error 1001. No mapping between account names
and security IDs was done, (NULL), (NULL), (NULL).

When i run the installation actually as the server local administrator the
install works.

When i examine machine local policy for any differences betweem
administrator and WCF i cannot see any. WCF is a member of the local admin
group only.

WCF appears beside administrator under "Log on as a service" i.e this would
have occur when i created the user.

Any ideas ?

Thank you.

Scott

ok, got it working when i added my admin user WCF to "act as part of the
OS" local secrity policy.

So the question is, why did the ADMINISTTOR user installation work when the
ADMINISTRATOR user does not appear in the policy "act as part of the OS" ?

..... and why did I need to add my addition WCF administrative user to this
policy for its installation to work ?

What is the difference between these 2 users names when they are part of the
same user group ?

Thanks for any advice.
Scott

Gregory A. Beamer

Administrator has God like rights to begin with. I am not sure which of
these rights impicitly contains the ability to run a WCF service, but you
can be suere there is one. I would imagine someone has this documented
somewhere, if you are inclined to spend the time searching. Sorry i do not
have a more firm answer.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP: MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA