Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Pegasus Mail *&^% options

Pegasus Mail *&^% options

Peter Huebner

Pegasus Mail behaves fine on my machine, however, on my wife's machine
it keeps resetting the font size in the message reader to 24. We can
change it, but the next time, without fail, it comes back with 24.
This is beyond annoying, it's gotten to the point where she wants to
dump the damn program.

For some reason it also keeps opening the new mail folder in fullscreen
mode, and won't save the window size(s) between sessions... I just don't
know what the heck is going on with that installation. Help is no help,
and the options screen is a bloody mess, with 10000 options, none of
wich are relevant to basic reader, font and window settings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am about at my wits end, having
messed with the thing for hours (just as she has) and running up against
a brick wall.

-P.

Enkidu

Peter Huebner wrote:

> Pegasus Mail behaves fine on my machine...

I thought it stopped being supported ages ago.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

Tax is not theft.

EMB

Enkidu wrote:
> Peter Huebner wrote:
> >
>> Pegasus Mail behaves fine on my machine...
> >

> I thought it stopped being supported ages ago.

Nope, still supported. After David Harris decided to abandon supporting
either Mercury or Pegasus the wiling and gnashing of teeth from the user
community was such that he had a change of heart.

Peter Huebner

In article <491c86f2$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Peter Huebner wrote:
> >
> > Pegasus Mail behaves fine on my machine...
> >

> I thought it stopped being supported ages ago.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

No, in fact pmail 4.5 beta is out.

I followed the advice and went over to the pmail newsgroup (which I
hadn't even known about, I used to be on the listserver ages ago but
[groan] listservers ...).

Anyway, it's been cleared up for me that we're not looking at a font
issue at all, but at the fact that pmail simply isn't saving it's
settings in the user directory in this case. And all of the usual
suspects have alibis.

Manually editing the pmail.ini file in the user directory has taken care
of the immediate problem, but doesn't really resolve the issue at the
heart of the matter.

-Peter

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Keith wrote:

> Have you tried asking at "comp.mail.pegasus-mail.ms-widows"?

"ms-widows" -- bit of a Freudian slip there.

Enkidu

EMB wrote:
> Enkidu wrote:
>> Peter Huebner wrote:
>>>
>>> Pegasus Mail behaves fine on my machine...
>>>

>> I thought it stopped being supported ages ago.

> Nope, still supported. After David Harris decided to abandon
> supporting either Mercury or Pegasus the wiling and gnashing of teeth
> from the user community was such that he had a change of heart.

I seem to remember a time when it only ran on Netware.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

Tax is not theft.

Peter Huebner

In article <491d3b7f$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> EMB wrote:

> >> I thought it stopped being supported ages ago.

> > Nope, still supported. After David Harris decided to abandon
> > supporting either Mercury or Pegasus the wiling and gnashing of teeth
> > from the user community was such that he had a change of heart.
> >

> I seem to remember a time when it only ran on Netware.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

Heh, when I first ran Pmail it was running on dos, with a gateway from
waffle which in turn was on a uucp connection. Oh boy, learning how to
administer waffle was a joy. The gateway was, shall we say obscure? as
well ...
Never did the netware thing.

-P.

aspir8or

After applying Preparation H, Peter Huebner finally got comfortable and wrote:

> In article <491d3b7f$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
>> EMB wrote:

>> > Nope, still supported. After David Harris decided to abandon
>> > supporting either Mercury or Pegasus the wiling and gnashing of teeth
>> > from the user community was such that he had a change of heart.
>> >

>> I seem to remember a time when it only ran on Netware.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Cliff

> Heh, when I first ran Pmail it was running on dos, with a gateway from
> waffle which in turn was on a uucp connection. Oh boy, learning how to
> administer waffle was a joy. The gateway was, shall we say obscure? as
> well ...
> Never did the netware thing.

Nor here. I remember getting pmail running on drdos, hooked up through the Wellington City Council's free connection called Citylink I think. At the time the only net gateways available in Wellington were VUW and then WCC, but after giving free connection to those in the know for about a year, WCC closed theirs down, for cost reasons, I think, and Actrix started about that time. BBCs, email and IRC, along with ftp, archie and suchlike (ISTR veronica) were available before usenet then the WWW. You really did have to be a geek to use only command line tools to navigate the net.

Prior to then, my first email was on a Digital 5000/200 running Ultrix, through uucp. That is around the time I came to hate sendmail.cf. I'm sure it's the cause of my hair going prematurely gray.
--
Rob
2nd Law of Thermodynamics: Chaos will Reign.

Gordon

On 2008-11-13, Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <491c86f2$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
>> Peter Huebner wrote:
>> >
>> > Pegasus Mail behaves fine on my machine...
>> >

>> I thought it stopped being supported ages ago.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Cliff
>>

> No, in fact pmail 4.5 beta is out.
>
> I followed the advice and went over to the pmail newsgroup (which I
> hadn't even known about, I used to be on the listserver ages ago but
> [groan] listservers ...).
>
> Anyway, it's been cleared up for me that we're not looking at a font
> issue at all, but at the fact that pmail simply isn't saving it's
> settings in the user directory in this case. And all of the usual
> suspects have alibis.
>
> Manually editing the pmail.ini file in the user directory has taken care
> of the immediate problem, but doesn't really resolve the issue at the
> heart of the matter.

When I last used Pmail, there was an option, somewhat hidden away to make the
option choices sticky. Just a thought.

neutrino

On Nov 15, 8:02*pm, Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2008-11-13, Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> > says...

> >> I thought it stopped being supported ages ago.

> >> Cheers,

> >> Cliff

> > No, in fact pmail 4.5 beta is out.

> > I followed the advice and went over to the pmail newsgroup (which I
> > hadn't even known about, I used to be on the listserver ages ago but
> > [groan] listservers ...).

> > Anyway, it's been cleared up for me that we're not looking at a font
> > issue at all, but at the fact that pmail simply isn't saving it's
> > settings in the user directory in this case. And all of the usual
> > suspects have alibis.

> > Manually editing the pmail.ini file in the user directory has taken care
> > of the immediate problem, but doesn't really resolve the issue at the
> > heart of the matter.

> When I last used Pmail, there was an option, somewhat hidden away to make the
> option choices sticky. Just a thought.- Hide quoted text -

not a fix for this, but...
if you ever consider getting a new Email program...
you won't do much better than "DreamMail"
ignore an text about it being unsupported now....
it's Excellent! Plus for spam control - it has a feature called
remotecontrol - you get to view what email is on the server, and can
set a delete - before deciding to receive. - and it's $0:00 !