Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Hosting Solutions For Full-Text Site

Hosting Solutions For Full-Text Site

Cindy

Hi. I have a site that stores files on SQL Server tables (possibility
of a large database) and uses Full-Text Search to search through all
these files. I was wondering, since traffic might be quite large,
what companies normally do in such scenarios. I am fairly good with
programming but machine configuration is not my strong suit.

First, is there a way to host this ourselves? What kind of equipment
would we need for a dedicated server and what kind of connection?
Please describe price ranges if you are familiar with this.

Second, is there a company that can do the dedicated hosting for us
with the features that I detailed, above? We are talking about
hosting a site in which most of the space is taken up by the database
itself rather than a files scattered on the server. Again, please
describe "normal" price ranges.

Any considerations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you kindly.

Cindy

Cindy

On Nov 13, 1:36*am, Cindy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi. *I have a site that stores files on SQL Server tables (possibility
> of a large database) and uses Full-Text Search to search through all
> these files. *I was wondering, since traffic might be quite large,
> what companies normally do in such scenarios. *I am fairly good with
> programming but machine configuration is not my strong suit.
>
> First, is there a way to host this ourselves? *What kind of equipment
> would we need for a dedicated server and what kind of connection?
> Please describe price ranges if you are familiar with this.
>
> Second, is there a company that can do the dedicated hosting for us
> with the features that I detailed, above? *We are talking about
> hosting a site in which most of the space is taken up by the database
> itself rather than a files scattered on the server. *Again, please
> describe "normal" price ranges.
>
> Any considerations would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you kindly.
>
> Cindy

Anyone there?

Hillbilly

Look at Microsoft Small Business Server as it comes with SQL Server and you
can use it to host your own website. You have to buy connectivity like a DSL
or your ownT1 (not so expensive anymore) from some service provider that
will give you at least 1 or more static IPs.

There's all kinds of hosting providers. Microsoft uses Orcsweb for some
things now and then.

"Cindy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Nov 13, 1:36 am, Cindy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi. I have a site that stores files on SQL Server tables (possibility
> of a large database) and uses Full-Text Search to search through all
> these files. I was wondering, since traffic might be quite large,
> what companies normally do in such scenarios. I am fairly good with
> programming but machine configuration is not my strong suit.
>
> First, is there a way to host this ourselves? What kind of equipment
> would we need for a dedicated server and what kind of connection?
> Please describe price ranges if you are familiar with this.
>
> Second, is there a company that can do the dedicated hosting for us
> with the features that I detailed, above? We are talking about
> hosting a site in which most of the space is taken up by the database
> itself rather than a files scattered on the server. Again, please
> describe "normal" price ranges.
>
> Any considerations would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you kindly.
>
> Cindy

Anyone there?