Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Accessing local client devices

Accessing local client devices

Jeronimo Bertran

We need to create an ASP.NET application that allows the user on the
client machine to activate devices that are connected directly to his
machine (cameras and devices connected to the RS232 port). We have written
dll files that provide the interface with such devices. Howe can we, for
instance, trigger the camera using a push button in an ASP.NET form?

Thanks

Jeronimo

bruce barker

you have to create an activex control that can be hosted by IE. it should be
signed, and installed locally. it will be tricky to make it safe for
scripting compliant (you will have to validate that it is hosted by a page
from your site). if the control is not the whole app, then you can write
client script to control it.

if your dll's are written in .net, the user must all install the 22mb
runtime download.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

news:(E-Mail Removed)...