Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Xtra 'Total Home' package attracting complaints

Re: Xtra 'Total Home' package attracting complaints

"starlyte" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Nov 12, 12:00 pm, vitw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> According to a contact at the Advertising Standards Authority, complaints
> are already coming in against the Telecom/Xtra 'Total Home' TV ads.
>
> The complaints allege that the TV ad (featuring a room filled with
> coloured lolly balls) is deceptive because it depicts a movie download as
> consuming a far smaller proportion of the monthly 10GB quota than it is
> in reality.
>
> If anyone wants to file their own complaint, the form is
> here:http://www.asa.co.nz/complaint_form.php

> I dont think its misleading. They have showed a movie is way more then
> anything else. The size of the movie is not stated, just a movie file
> in general. They may mean youtube movies

> most advertising is hyperbolic. That does not mean its misleading

Disagree, my first impression was also that it was off. The kid, whos's
about 12 is up to his neck in the lollies, in a loungeroom. They pour what
looks like a fish bin full of lollies over him to represent a movie. A
double axle trailer full is closer to the truth.

J&H.

Hamish Campbell

On Nov 12, 11:29*pm, "Je|<ݬ & e" <jekyll&(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "starlyte" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Nov 12, 12:00 pm, vitw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > According to a contact at the Advertising Standards Authority, complaints
> > are already coming in against the Telecom/Xtra 'Total Home' TV ads.

> > The complaints allege that the TV ad (featuring a room filled with
> > coloured lolly balls) is deceptive because it depicts a movie download as
> > consuming a far smaller proportion of the monthly 10GB quota than it is
> > in reality.

> > If anyone wants to file their own complaint, the form is
> > here:http://www.asa.co.nz/complaint_form.php
> > I dont think its misleading. They have showed a movie is way more then
> > anything else. The size of the movie is not stated, just a movie file
> > in general. They may mean youtube movies
> > most advertising is hyperbolic. That does not mean its misleading

> Disagree, my first impression was also that it was off. The kid, whos's
> about 12 is up to his neck in the lollies, in a loungeroom. They pour what
> looks like a fish bin full of lollies over him to represent a movie. A
> double axle trailer full is closer to the truth.
>
> J&H.

I posted in the other thread - but from the Telecom broadpan pricing
page (as of 13/11/08 - https://www.telecom.co.nz/broadband/...4473,00.html):

"Go" - Ideal for daily email and Internet browsing - 3GB - $39.95
Fixed cost

"Explorer" - More data allowance for students and larger households -
10GB - $49.95 Fixed cost

"Adventure" - For people who ***download large files*** or play online
games - 20GB - $59.95 Fixed cost

Now, I'm sure everyone agree that as far as the internet goes, video
qualifies as 'large files'. So for watching movies, they recommend a
plan that is TWICE the cap as the total home package. Yet, on the TV,
the Total Home package is "HUGE" and is suitable for watching movies.

Yes, they tread the fine line between legal and illegal, but I feel
they're well into 'unethical'.

EMB

Hamish Campbell wrote:

> Yes, they tread the fine line between legal and illegal, but I feel
> they're well into 'unethical'.

Telecom have never been anything except unethical, and seem to be
getting even more so as time goes on.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Hamish Campbell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
(snip)

>I posted in the other thread - but from the Telecom broadpan pricing
>page (as of 13/11/08 - https://www.telecom.co.nz/broadband/select/1,10627,2=
>05836-204473,00.html):
>
>"Go" - Ideal for daily email and Internet browsing - 3GB - $39.95
>Fixed cost
>
>"Explorer" - More data allowance for students and larger households -
>10GB - $49.95 Fixed cost
>
>"Adventure" - For people who ***download large files*** or play online
>games - 20GB - $59.95 Fixed cost
>
>Now, I'm sure everyone agree that as far as the internet goes, video
>qualifies as 'large files'. So for watching movies, they recommend a
>plan that is TWICE the cap as the total home package. Yet, on the TV,
>the Total Home package is "HUGE" and is suitable for watching movies.
>
>Yes, they tread the fine line between legal and illegal, but I feel
>they're well into 'unethical'.

Ah. I'm sure you'll get agreement from everyone on 'unethical' ... but
still, there are no surprises here