Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Computers don't see each other

Computers don't see each other

Max

Please help!

Desktop-Vista, Laptop-XP

These were previously networked using D-Link router (broadband/cable). Now
I have a wireless Level 1 modem/router hooked up to DSL. Both computers can
access internet, but neither sees the other. I've spent hours trying to fix,
but am having no success. I have McAfee antivirus/firewall. I'm usually
pretty good at these issues, but am stumped and frustrated over this.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Can you ping each other by IP? If not, try to start both OS with clean boot
for troubleshooting.
Windows general
How to run Windows OS with a clean boot · How to Run Windows Safe Mode
with Networking · How to setup DHCP for IP Phone How to sort programs in
Start ...
http://www.howtonetworking.com/Windo...owsgeneral.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
http://www.HowToNetworking.com
"Max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Please help!
>
> Desktop-Vista, Laptop-XP
>
> These were previously networked using D-Link router (broadband/cable).
> Now
> I have a wireless Level 1 modem/router hooked up to DSL. Both computers
> can
> access internet, but neither sees the other. I've spent hours trying to
> fix,
> but am having no success. I have McAfee antivirus/firewall. I'm usually
> pretty good at these issues, but am stumped and frustrated over this.

smlunatick

On Nov 12, 10:15*am, Max <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Please help!
>
> Desktop-Vista, Laptop-XP
>
> These were previously networked using D-Link router (broadband/cable). *Now
> I have a wireless Level 1 modem/router hooked up to DSL. *Both computers can
> access internet, but neither sees the other. *I've spent hours trying to fix,
> but am having no success. *I have McAfee antivirus/firewall. *I'm usually
> pretty good at these issues, but am stumped and frustrated over this.

It is more like that the McAfee was "trusting" to older D-link
router's IP address. Check on each McAfee configurations and tell
each to trust the new router's IP address.

Also, if you are using the wireless "network" part, you may need to
trust the wireless network name (known as SSID.)

Max

I already tried disabling the firewalls. Tried the ping test, it failed. I
think it's something simple, like the router is not configured correctly or
something.

"smlunatick" wrote:

> On Nov 12, 10:15 am, Max <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Please help!
> >
> > Desktop-Vista, Laptop-XP
> >
> > These were previously networked using D-Link router (broadband/cable). Now
> > I have a wireless Level 1 modem/router hooked up to DSL. Both computers can
> > access internet, but neither sees the other. I've spent hours trying to fix,
> > but am having no success. I have McAfee antivirus/firewall. I'm usually
> > pretty good at these issues, but am stumped and frustrated over this.

> It is more like that the McAfee was "trusting" to older D-link
> router's IP address. Check on each McAfee configurations and tell
> each to trust the new router's IP address.
>
> Also, if you are using the wireless "network" part, you may need to
> trust the wireless network name (known as SSID.)

John

"Max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I already tried disabling the firewalls. Tried the ping test, it failed.
> think it's something simple, like the router is not configured correctly
> or
> something.

Have you looked inside the WiFi router settings? For example, Linksys router
has a setting to enable client isolation (I can't remember the exact term).
Look for something similar in your router.

Psycho-billy

Max,

I had a similar problem between a W2K and XP Pro machine. As it turned out,
the Winsock was corrupted. Diagnostic and troubleshooting info can be found
at:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259/en-us

One symptom not mentioned is that the Routing and Remote Access Service
would not start. Try: net start remoteaccess from your command line. If it
doesn't start...
Hope this helps!

Larry
--