Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Transferring a .com domain from a Japanese registrar to our NZ registrar

Transferring a .com domain from a Japanese registrar to our NZ registrar

Alan

Hi All,

I need to get a .com domain transferred from a Japanese registrar to
our NZ registrar.

I spoke to the helpdesk at my ISP, and they told me I need to get the
UDAI (Unique Domain Authentication ID):

http://www.dnc.org.nz/story/30094-31-1.html#udai

My understanding is that this is a specific .nz thing, and the
registrar in Japan will have no idea what I am talking about.

Can anyone confirm or deny that I am correct, and the helpdesk is
wrong? I did query it with them, but they insisted that is what I
need.

Given the language barrier, I would like to be absolutely sure what
the process needs to be before I get into it!

Thanks,

--

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Enkidu

Alan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I need to get a .com domain transferred from a Japanese registrar to
> our NZ registrar.
>
> I spoke to the helpdesk at my ISP, and they told me I need to get the
> UDAI (Unique Domain Authentication ID):
>
> http://www.dnc.org.nz/story/30094-31-1.html#udai
>
> My understanding is that this is a specific .nz thing, and the
> registrar in Japan will have no idea what I am talking about.
>
> Can anyone confirm or deny that I am correct, and the helpdesk is
> wrong? I did query it with them, but they insisted that is what I
> need.
>
> Given the language barrier, I would like to be absolutely sure what
> the process needs to be before I get into it!

A UDAI is NZ specific.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

Tax is not theft.

Enkidu

Collector€NZ wrote:
> Enkidu wrote:
>> Alan wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I need to get a .com domain transferred from a Japanese registrar to
>>> our NZ registrar.
>>>
>>> I spoke to the helpdesk at my ISP, and they told me I need to get the
>>> UDAI (Unique Domain Authentication ID):
>>>
>>> http://www.dnc.org.nz/story/30094-31-1.html#udai
>>>
>>> My understanding is that this is a specific .nz thing, and the
>>> registrar in Japan will have no idea what I am talking about.
>>>
>>> Can anyone confirm or deny that I am correct, and the helpdesk is
>>> wrong? I did query it with them, but they insisted that is what I need.
>>>
>>> Given the language barrier, I would like to be absolutely sure what
>>> the process needs to be before I get into it!
>>>

>> A UDAI is NZ specific.

> Your looking at a baleful of trouble if you attempt it from this end.
> The name space in Japan is well set up and automated so you should get
> the current Japenesse holder to do the transfer it will be heaps easier.

It's not a .jp domain is it?

Cheers,

Cliff

--

Tax is not theft.

Alan

"Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:491bd225$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Collector?NZ wrote:

>>> A UDAI is NZ specific.

>> Your looking at a baleful of trouble if you attempt it from this
>> end.
>> The name space in Japan is well set up and automated so you should
>> get the current Japenesse holder to do the transfer it will be
>> heaps easier.
>>

> It's not a .jp domain is it?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff
>
> --
>
> Tax is not theft.

Hi,

It is a .com domain but the registrar is in Japan.

Thanks,

--

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

(E-Mail Removed)

Alan wrote:
> "Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:491bd225$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Collector?NZ wrote:

>>> Your looking at a baleful of trouble if you attempt it from this
>>> end.
>>> The name space in Japan is well set up and automated so you should
>>> get the current Japenesse holder to do the transfer it will be
>>> heaps easier.
>>>

>> It's not a .jp domain is it?

> Hi,
>
> It is a .com domain but the registrar is in Japan.

Then I don't think that you will need to get involved with the Japanese
name space managers. I think that you can change it using a 'pull'
process. But you don't need to involve your ISP. Any Domain Name manager
will suffice. I have my web site with a particular hoster, and my DNS
with someone else and my mail sent to my NZ ISP.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

Tax is not theft.

Alan

"Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:491d3c6b$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> Hi,
>>
>> It is a .com domain but the registrar is in Japan.
>>

> Then I don't think that you will need to get involved with the
> Japanese name space managers. I think that you can change it using a
> 'pull' process. But you don't need to involve your ISP. Any Domain
> Name manager will suffice. I have my web site with a particular
> hoster, and my DNS with someone else and my mail sent to my NZ ISP.

Hi Cliff,

Noted - my DNS is provided by my ISP, but my mail is hosted elsewhere
as is website (I just point my DNS records in the right direction).

I'll stick with my ISP for DNS (for now at least), so you are saying I
just get them to 'pull' the domain to them? If so, what is to stop me
pulling anyone's domain the me?? Seems likely that the current owner
needs to contact their registrar too, or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Alan.

--

Alan wrote:
> "Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:491d3c6b$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> It is a .com domain but the registrar is in Japan.
>>>

>> Then I don't think that you will need to get involved with the
>> Japanese name space managers. I think that you can change it using a
>> 'pull' process. But you don't need to involve your ISP. Any Domain
>> Name manager will suffice. I have my web site with a particular
>> hoster, and my DNS with someone else and my mail sent to my NZ ISP.

> Noted - my DNS is provided by my ISP, but my mail is hosted elsewhere
> as is website (I just point my DNS records in the right direction).
>
> I'll stick with my ISP for DNS (for now at least), so you are saying I
> just get them to 'pull' the domain to them? If so, what is to stop me
> pulling anyone's domain the me?? Seems likely that the current owner
> needs to contact their registrar too, or am I missing something?

It's a while since I did it last, but there is a confirmation by email
process - you request your ISP to take it over, they do so and the
current registrar gets automatically informed, then they automatically
send an email to the email address that registered with them in the
first place, confirming the change.

Please note that I'm doing this from memory, but I recall it being
pretty simple.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

Tax is not theft.

Alan

"Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:491e0705$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Alan wrote:
>> "Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:491d3c6b$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Then I don't think that you will need to get involved with the
>>> Japanese name space managers. I think that you can change it using
>>> a 'pull' process. But you don't need to involve your ISP. Any
>>> Domain Name manager will suffice. I have my web site with a
>>> particular hoster, and my DNS with someone else and my mail sent
>>> to my NZ ISP.

>> Noted - my DNS is provided by my ISP, but my mail is hosted
>> elsewhere as is website (I just point my DNS records in the right
>> direction).
>>
>> I'll stick with my ISP for DNS (for now at least), so you are
>> saying I just get them to 'pull' the domain to them? If so, what
>> is to stop me pulling anyone's domain the me?? Seems likely that
>> the current owner needs to contact their registrar too, or am I
>> missing something?
>>

> It's a while since I did it last, but there is a confirmation by
> email process - you request your ISP to take it over, they do so and
> the current registrar gets automatically informed, then they
> automatically send an email to the email address that registered
> with them in the first place, confirming the change.
>
> Please note that I'm doing this from memory, but I recall it being
> pretty simple.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff
>
> --