Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > A Solar Electrical Challange

A Solar Electrical Challange

Collector»NZ

I have a device 12v @.33A that I want to run 24x7. I have a 12v, 6amp/
hr
battery (seal lead acid) what sort of rated solar panel do you reckon
will be needed to keep the unit operational. Do you think I need a
float
regulator or just diaode back feed protection?

I see it as being 95W hrs a day drain. Solarization at my location I
figure at about 35-45%.

I am thinking I might have to look for a device that draws less
current.

What am I upto well its for what we call a FARS, "Fan Asisted
Radiation
Sheild for weather instruments.

http://tokoroa.dyndns.org

me

"Collector»NZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a device 12v @.33A that I want to run 24x7. I have a 12v, 6amp/
> hr
> battery (seal lead acid) what sort of rated solar panel do you reckon
> will be needed to keep the unit operational. Do you think I need a
> float
> regulator or just diaode back feed protection?

you need a load-dumper / controller to stop the battery overcharging

http://www.solar-power-answers.co.uk...ng_system.html

> I see it as being 95W hrs a day drain. Solarization at my location I
> figure at about 35-45%.

So that would be 35 kw a year,

I reackon a 40 watt array would suffice.

try
(0.04 kwp)

http://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvgis/apps3/pvest.php#

if you reverse your latitude / longitude, you may find equivalent
information from european location.

it probably wont work in deepest winter.

Have you thought of wind power? though you need a yearly average windspeed
of at least 5 meters/sec ?

http://www.windtrap.co.uk/generate-e...-wind-turbine/

you need to get the power curve specs of it, and find your local average
windspeed

> What am I upto well its for what we call a FARS, "Fan Asisted
> Radiation
> Sheild for weather instruments.
>
> http://tokoroa.dyndns.org

faraday sheild ?

good luck with that

hth

me

> Have you thought of wind power? though you need a yearly average windspeed
> of at least 5 meters/sec ?

>> What am I upto well its for what we call a FARS, "Fan Asisted
>> Radiation
>> Sheild for weather instruments.

doh, i think i just broke the second law of something or other by trying to
get a turbine to drive a fan

Enkidu

me wrote:

>> Have you thought of wind power? though you need a yearly average
>> windspeed
>> of at least 5 meters/sec ?

>>> What am I upto well its for what we call a FARS, "Fan Asisted
>>> Radiation
>>> Sheild for weather instruments.

> doh, i think i just broke the second law of something or other by trying
> to get a turbine to drive a fan

Thermodynamics. But that's OK, you can store up the energy from the
turbine and use it to drive the fan when there is no wind. Or smooth the
input to the fan on gusty days. Sure it's not particularly efficient,
but you would have energy to burn, except on calm hot days.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

Tax is not theft.

EMB

Collector€NZ wrote:
> Valuable hints there thanks.

http://www.piezo.com/prodfan3lv02.html

EMB

Collector€NZ wrote:

> Valuable hints there thanks.

Or even a Synjet.

http://www.nuventix.com/products/

me

"EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:491bb3f7$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Collector€NZ wrote:
>> Valuable hints there thanks.

> http://www.piezo.com/prodfan3lv02.html

if ya feeling brave, an alternator out of a car or moped from the scrap
dealers and a bit of plywood would do.

dont blame me when it flys apart during the next storm though lol

me

"Collector€NZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:491bac26$(E-Mail Removed)...
> me wrote:
>>
>> "Collector»NZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I have a device 12v @.33A that I want to run 24x7. I have a 12v, 6amp/
>>> hr
>>> battery (seal lead acid) what sort of rated solar panel do you reckon
>>> will be needed to keep the unit operational. Do you think I need a
>>> float
>>> regulator or just diaode back feed protection?

>> you need a load-dumper / controller to stop the battery overcharging
>>
>> http://www.solar-power-answers.co.uk...ng_system.html
>>
>>> I see it as being 95W hrs a day drain. Solarization at my location I
>>> figure at about 35-45%.

>> So that would be 35 kw a year,
>>
>> I reackon a 40 watt array would suffice.
>>
>> try
>> (0.04 kwp)
>>
>> http://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvgis/apps3/pvest.php#
>>
>> if you reverse your latitude / longitude, you may find equivalent
>> information from european location.
>>
>> it probably wont work in deepest winter.
>>

>> Have you thought of wind power? though you need a yearly average
>> windspeed of at least 5 meters/sec ?
>>
>> http://www.windtrap.co.uk/generate-e...-wind-turbine/
>> you need to get the power curve specs of it, and find your local average
>> windspeed
>>

>>> What am I upto well its for what we call a FARS, "Fan Asisted
>>> Radiation
>>> Sheild for weather instruments.
>>>
>>> http://tokoroa.dyndns.org

>> faraday sheild ?
>>
>> good luck with that
>>
>> hth
>>

> Valuable hints there thanks.
> Faraday no, thats for EMF type things ifirc this is a sheild to stop
> direct sunlight striking the instruments directly and producing false
> readings

thank you,

the cheapest way is to run it off your mains or use a couple of car
batteries and swap them round when needed.

Gordon

On 2008-11-12, me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Collector»NZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have a device 12v @.33A that I want to run 24x7. I have a 12v, 6amp/
>> hr
>> battery (seal lead acid) what sort of rated solar panel do you reckon
>> will be needed to keep the unit operational. Do you think I need a
>> float
>> regulator or just diaode back feed protection?

> you need a load-dumper / controller to stop the battery overcharging
>
> http://www.solar-power-answers.co.uk...ng_system.html

This is unlikely to be a problem since it is a 24/7 operation.

>> I see it as being 95W hrs a day drain. Solarization at my location I
>> figure at about 35-45%.

> So that would be 35 kw a year,
>
> I reackon a 40 watt array would suffice.
>
> try
> (0.04 kwp)
>
> http://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvgis/apps3/pvest.php#
>
> if you reverse your latitude / longitude, you may find equivalent
> information from european location.

Waht has longitude go to do with the task in question?

> it probably wont work in deepest winter.

But it must, for it is 24/7 operation

> Have you thought of wind power? though you need a yearly average windspeed
> of at least 5 meters/sec ?

But if combined with solar?

me

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2008-11-12, me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> "Collector»NZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I have a device 12v @.33A that I want to run 24x7. I have a 12v, 6amp/
>>> hr
>>> battery (seal lead acid) what sort of rated solar panel do you reckon
>>> will be needed to keep the unit operational. Do you think I need a
>>> float
>>> regulator or just diaode back feed protection?

>> you need a load-dumper / controller to stop the battery overcharging
>>
>> http://www.solar-power-answers.co.uk...ng_system.html
>>

> This is unlikely to be a problem since it is a 24/7 operation.
>

>>> I see it as being 95W hrs a day drain. Solarization at my location I
>>> figure at about 35-45%.

>> So that would be 35 kw a year,
>>
>> I reackon a 40 watt array would suffice.
>>
>> try
>> (0.04 kwp)
>>
>> http://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvgis/apps3/pvest.php#
>>
>> if you reverse your latitude / longitude, you may find equivalent
>> information from european location.

> Waht has longitude go to do with the task in question?
>>
>> it probably wont work in deepest winter.

> But it must, for it is 24/7 operation
>

>> Have you thought of wind power? though you need a yearly average
>> windspeed
>> of at least 5 meters/sec ?

> But if combined with solar?

Jilted John was right !