Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Clearnet/Paradise to lose Newsgroups

Clearnet/Paradise to lose Newsgroups

Michael

Not sure whether this just relates to business customers as suggested a few
weeks ago but it sure doesn't look like it.
I wonder when they intend to inform us?

As posted on their FAQ's at http://tinyurl.com/6hs9rs

Question
Clearnet/Paradise NewsGroups

Answer
What are Newsgroups?
Clearnet/Paradise Newsgroups are a forum and library of information.

How do I access Newsgroups?
They are accessed via webnews.clear.net.nz or from configuring your email
software (eg Outlook Express) to download topics you are interested in (and
is similar to receiving your email).

When are Clearnet/Paradise NewsGroups being Dis-Continued?
The Clearnet/Paradise Newsgroups are being discontinued effective Nov 30th
2008

Why are Clearnet/Paradise NewsGroups being Dis-Continued?
These are being discontinued due to the availability of similar groups on
the internet, the increasing cost of providing this access and the small
number of customers using it.

How can I continue to get access to the same forum and library of
information?
If you wish to retain access to the same forums and information, you can
arrange a connection thru the provider directly @ www.giganews.com

Mike Dee

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 15:13:51 +1300, Michael wrote:

> As posted on their FAQ's at http://tinyurl.com/6hs9rs

[...]
> When are Clearnet/Paradise NewsGroups being Dis-Continued? The
> Clearnet/Paradise Newsgroups are being discontinued effective Nov 30th
> 2008
>
> Why are Clearnet/Paradise NewsGroups being Dis-Continued? These are being
> discontinued due to the availability of similar groups on the internet,
> the increasing cost of providing this access and the small number of
> customers using it.
>
> How can I continue to get access to the same forum and library of
> information?
> If you wish to retain access to the same forums and information, you can
> arrange a connection thru the provider directly @ www.giganews.com

What a***holes.

I don't use them, but if I did I'd be voting with my feet at that news.

--
dee

Mike Dee

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 18:38:50 +1300, thingy wrote:

> Mike Dee wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 15:13:51 +1300, Michael wrote:
>>
>>> As posted on their FAQ's at http://tinyurl.com/6hs9rs

[...]

>> What a***holes.
>>
>> I don't use them, but if I did I'd be voting with my feet at that news.
>>

> cant really...1) many isps no longer do usenet, 2) only clear do cable.

Bummer.

Next on the agenda. Complain, and/or start a petition?

Second on the agenda, find a free news server (if you haven't already)

Cheers.

--
dee

Michael

"joe_90" <joe_90_no@spam_myhttpmail.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-privat.org...
> Michael wrote:
>
>> How can I continue to get access to the same forum and library of
>> information?
>> If you wish to retain access to the same forums and information, you can
>> arrange a connection thru the provider directly @ www.giganews.com

> 'thru' ?
>
> and I like the term 'arrange' being used as a euphemism for 'pay for'.

National got in, get used to it. LOL

Michael

"Mike Dee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) id...
> On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 18:38:50 +1300, thingy wrote:
>
>> Mike Dee wrote:

> [...]
>
>>> What a***holes.
>>>
>>> I don't use them, but if I did I'd be voting with my feet at that news.
>>>

>> cant really...1) many isps no longer do usenet, 2) only clear do cable.

> Bummer.
>
> Next on the agenda. Complain, and/or start a petition?
>
> Second on the agenda, find a free news server (if you haven't already)
>
> Cheers.
>
> --
> dee

Well there is Google Groups but but but!
nntp.aioe.org
is free and has the NZ groups
news Motzarella.org
I believe is also free but you have to sign up

or if you want binaries, http://www.teranews.com/ suggests it has a free
service but you have to pay to set it up.
(---we have begun charging a one time setup fee of $3.95. There are no
recurring monthly fees with our 50MB/day package.)
Or if you want a more substantial account http://usenet.com/ is less
expensive than Giganews
Or there is http://titannews.com/ or http://www.NewsRazor.net or
http://www.usenet.net/ or http://www.newsgroups-download.com/
or http://www.newsgroup-binaries.com/ or http://www.usenet-access.com or
http://usenet-news.net/ or https://www.altopia.com/
or http://www.news.astraweb.com/ or Many more if you want to Google

Think I'll be trying the Teranews one myself

John

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 17:56:03 +1100, Mike Dee wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 18:38:50 +1300, thingy wrote:
>
>> Mike Dee wrote:

> [...]
>
>>> What a***holes.
>>>
>>> I don't use them, but if I did I'd be voting with my feet at that news.
>>>

>> cant really...1) many isps no longer do usenet, 2) only clear do cable.

> Bummer.
>
> Next on the agenda. Complain, and/or start a petition?
>
> Second on the agenda, find a free news server (if you haven't already)

You could try posting (complain) to the TelstraClear forum at:

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=44

Malcolm Moore

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 15:13:51 +1300, "Michael" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Not sure whether this just relates to business customers as suggested a few
>weeks ago but it sure doesn't look like it.
>I wonder when they intend to inform us?
>
>As posted on their FAQ's at http://tinyurl.com/6hs9rs
>
>Question
> Clearnet/Paradise NewsGroups
>
>Answer
> What are Newsgroups?
>Clearnet/Paradise Newsgroups are a forum and library of information.
>
>How do I access Newsgroups?
>They are accessed via webnews.clear.net.nz or from configuring your email
>software (eg Outlook Express) to download topics you are interested in (and
>is similar to receiving your email).
>
>When are Clearnet/Paradise NewsGroups being Dis-Continued?
>The Clearnet/Paradise Newsgroups are being discontinued effective Nov 30th
>2008
>
>Why are Clearnet/Paradise NewsGroups being Dis-Continued?
>These are being discontinued due to the availability of similar groups on
>the internet, the increasing cost of providing this access and the small
>number of customers using it.
>
>How can I continue to get access to the same forum and library of
>information?
>If you wish to retain access to the same forums and information, you can
>arrange a connection thru the provider directly @ www.giganews.com

The cynic in me says the service will actually end about the 20th Nov,
when they experience their usual monthly problems.

As to alternatives, since I got fed up with Telstra's problems I've
been happily using Astraweb.

<www.news.astraweb.com>

They have a US$10 deal that gives 25GB of data with no time limit.
Only using text groups should allow me to bequeath the remaining
unused data in my will

--
Regards
Malcolm

aspir8or

Malcolm Moore wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 15:13:51 +1300, "Michael" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:

<snip>

>>If you wish to retain access to the same forums and information, you can
>>arrange a connection thru the provider directly @ www.giganews.com
>>

> The cynic in me says the service will actually end about the 20th Nov,
> when they experience their usual monthly problems.
>
> As to alternatives, since I got fed up with Telstra's problems I've
> been happily using Astraweb.
>
> <www.news.astraweb.com>
>
> They have a US$10 deal that gives 25GB of data with no time limit.
> Only using text groups should allow me to bequeath the remaining
> unused data in my will

I've already changed to motzarella. Free, I don't need binary ngs.

Kind of difficult to vote with my feet, as I have the package, tv, phone & net, and I would have to change the lot or find that isp (can't recall the name) that on-sells TC's cable service, but they probably sell the same package and will drop usenet as well. I like the cable, both for the net and tv, no interference issues and good speeds. It would also be somewhat expensive changing to Telecom/Sky/Telecom(x xtra).

--
Rob
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." - Carl Sagan

Michael

"OZZY Boy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 21:48:54 +1300, "Michael" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>"Mike Dee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news(E-Mail Removed) alid...

>>Well there is Google Groups but but but!
>>nntp.aioe.org
>>is free and has the NZ groups
>>news Motzarella.org
>>I believe is also free but you have to sign up
>>
>>or if you want binaries, http://www.teranews.com/ suggests it has a free
>>service but you have to pay to set it up.
>>(---we have begun charging a one time setup fee of $3.95. There are no
>>recurring monthly fees with our 50MB/day package.)
>>Or if you want a more substantial account http://usenet.com/ is less
>>expensive than Giganews
>>Or there is http://titannews.com/ or http://www.NewsRazor.net or
>>http://www.usenet.net/ or http://www.newsgroups-download.com/
>>or http://www.newsgroup-binaries.com/ or http://www.usenet-access.com
>>or
>>http://usenet-news.net/ or https://www.altopia.com/
>>or http://www.news.astraweb.com/ or Many more if you want to Google
>>
>>Think I'll be trying the Teranews one myself
>>

> What is the retention rate for Teranews, days I would think for a free
> service, no good for binary
> dnloads,

Gee Mr No Knowledge and you know all this by having tried it have you?
1/ 90+ days binary retention. Geez Woger, an expert like you I would have
thought you would have been able to click on the link
2/ No good for your hundreds of gigs of porno downloads. What do you expect
for US$3.95?

> You seems to have mised some, this is the best there is Easynews true
> decoded binary dnload and
> the free Albasani.

FFS I didn't miss any. I just posted the ones I had looked at. If you have
others goody, post them instead of being a wonker.
Have you used Easynews?

Your Name

"Allistar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> OZZY Boy wrote:

cable.

> >>You could try posting (complain) to the TelstraClear forum at:
> >>
> >>http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=44
> >>

> > No Commerce Commission, Usenet is part of the Internet service, with out
> > it you are being conned,

> Usenet is no more "part of the internet service" that an ssh server or
> an "Unreal Tournament" server is.
>
> > why its being dropped, is because of the high storage regiments..

> I'd say it's because od upstream provider costs.
>
> > Its like selling you are car with out wheels..

> Nonsense. The vast majority of people connect to the internet yet have no
> idea what usenet or NNTP is.

Hell, most of the people working at all the Internet providers don't even
know what Newsgroups are!

Unfortunately the ONLY thing an "Internet Service Provider" must supply is
the actual connection to the Internet ... anything and everything else is an
"added bonus", and that includes email servers, website space, Usenet
Newsgroups, etc.

ihug dropped most of the binaries newsgroups a long while back, mainly
because their hopeless server kept falling over under the load. Without the
binaries newsgroups the load is MUCH less and so the server lasted longer
before again and again falling over (despite telling the users they had a
new one!).