Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > printer 'dropped off' n/w

printer 'dropped off' n/w

S. Needham

Folk:

If I'm not in the right place, plz direct me to the proper ng.

Running XP, all service packs. ISP is hardwired to desktop, and laptop is
on wireless network; printer is USBed into desktop; printer sharing is
enabled. Have been using this configuration for 4 years, no problem. Now,
laptop cannot print to the printer. Called ISP: they can't help, b/c they
can't see the printer on the network at all; when I go into the add printer
routines on the laptop, the network shows up, with all live 'puters, but no
printer underneath the desktop in the 'description.'

What is my course of action?

Regards and Happy Trails,

Scott Needham
Boulder, Colorado, USA

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

In the Desktop, run net share and in the Laptop run net view
\\desktopipaddress. Post back with the results.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"S. Needham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jwgSk.4335$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Folk:
>
> If I'm not in the right place, plz direct me to the proper ng.
>
> Running XP, all service packs. ISP is hardwired to desktop, and laptop is
> on wireless network; printer is USBed into desktop; printer sharing is
> enabled. Have been using this configuration for 4 years, no problem.
> Now, laptop cannot print to the printer. Called ISP: they can't help, b/c
> they can't see the printer on the network at all; when I go into the add
> printer routines on the laptop, the network shows up, with all live
> 'puters, but no printer underneath the desktop in the 'description.'
>
> What is my course of action?
>
> Regards and Happy Trails,
>
> Scott Needham
> Boulder, Colorado, USA

S. Needham

OK, now I'm not sure what cmd was s'posed to run on the laptop. When I
tried net view \\desktopipaddress (was I s'posed to?), it came back "system
error 53, network path not found."

--

SN

Regards and Happy Trails,

Scott Needham
Boulder, Colorado, USA
"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> In the Desktop, run net share and in the Laptop run net view
> \\desktopipaddress. Post back with the results.
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "S. Needham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:jwgSk.4335$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Folk:
>>
>> If I'm not in the right place, plz direct me to the proper ng.
>>
>> Running XP, all service packs. ISP is hardwired to desktop, and laptop
>> is on wireless network; printer is USBed into desktop; printer sharing is
>> enabled. Have been using this configuration for 4 years, no problem.
>> Now, laptop cannot print to the printer. Called ISP: they can't help,
>> b/c they can't see the printer on the network at all; when I go into the
>> add printer routines on the laptop, the network shows up, with all live
>> 'puters, but no printer underneath the desktop in the 'description.'
>>
>> What is my course of action?
>>
>> Regards and Happy Trails,
>>
>> Scott Needham
>> Boulder, Colorado, USA

S. Needham

This apparently didn't go through first try:

OK, can't copy/paste the cmd window--can I post screen shots here?--, but
the printer shows up in net share as "spooled" with the share name
"DellLaser" as it is s'posed to. In net view, the only resource listed is
\\Beverly" which I think is the name my wife gave the laptop; the i'net is
accessible from the laptop.

Regards and Happy Trails,

Scott Needham
Boulder, Colorado, USA

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> In the Desktop, run net share and in the Laptop run net view
> \\desktopipaddress. Post back with the results.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

In desktop, run "net share .c:\netshare.txt"
In desktop, run "ipconfig" and write down the IP address.
In laptop, run "net view \\desktopipaddress >c:\netview.txt". Replace the IP
address found in desktop ipconfig command with desktopipaddress.

Copy and paste netshare.txt and netview.txt here.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
http://www.HowToNetworking.com
"S. Needham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:KFkSk.11080$(E-Mail Removed)...
> This apparently didn't go through first try:
>
> OK, can't copy/paste the cmd window--can I post screen shots here?--, but
> the printer shows up in net share as "spooled" with the share name
> "DellLaser" as it is s'posed to. In net view, the only resource listed is
> \\Beverly" which I think is the name my wife gave the laptop; the i'net is
> accessible from the laptop.
>
> Regards and Happy Trails,
>
> Scott Needham
> Boulder, Colorado, USA
>

> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In the Desktop, run net share and in the Laptop run net view
>> \\desktopipaddress. Post back with the results.

S. Needham

DESKTOP:

Share name Resource Remark

print$ C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers
Printer Drivers
ADMIN$ C:\WINDOWS Remote Admin
C$ C:\ Default share
IPC$ Remote IPC
SharedDocs C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\DOCUMENTS

DellLaser USB001 Spooled Dell Laser Printer 1100
Printer DocuCom PDF Port: Spooled ScanSoft PDF Create!
Printer2 Nuance Image Printer W Spooled PaperPort Image Printer
Printer3 XPSPort: Spooled Microsoft XPS Document Writer
Printer4 My Documents\*.pdf Spooled Creates Adobe PDF
Printer5 Microsoft Document Ima Spooled Microsoft Office Document Image
Wr
Printer6 DocuCom PDF Port: Spooled DocuCom PDF Driver
Printer7 USB002 Spooled Dell Photo AIO Printer 922
The command completed successfully.

ipconfig gives 102.168.0.10 for the desktop

LAPTOP:

ran both "net view \\desktopipaddress >c:\netview.txt". and "net view
\\192.168.0.10>c:\netview.txt" and in both cases got 'Error 53 has occured,
the network path was not found."

--

SN

Regards and Happy Trails,

Scott Needham
Boulder, Colorado, USA
"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In desktop, run "net share .c:\netshare.txt"
> In desktop, run "ipconfig" and write down the IP address.
> In laptop, run "net view \\desktopipaddress >c:\netview.txt". Replace the
> IP address found in desktop ipconfig command with desktopipaddress.
>
> Copy and paste netshare.txt and netview.txt here.
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "S. Needham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:KFkSk.11080$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> This apparently didn't go through first try:
>>
>> OK, can't copy/paste the cmd window--can I post screen shots here?--, but
>> the printer shows up in net share as "spooled" with the share name
>> "DellLaser" as it is s'posed to. In net view, the only resource listed
>> is
>> \\Beverly" which I think is the name my wife gave the laptop; the i'net
>> is
>> accessible from the laptop.
>>
>> Regards and Happy Trails,
>>
>> Scott Needham
>> Boulder, Colorado, USA
>>

>> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> In the Desktop, run net share and in the Laptop run net view
>>> \\desktopipaddress. Post back with the results.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

There is a space between the ip address and >. it should look like this:

net view \\192.168.0.10 >c:\netview.txt

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
http://www.HowToNetworking.com
"S. Needham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%6BSk.2365$(E-Mail Removed)...
> DESKTOP:
>
> Share name Resource Remark

> print$ C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers
> Printer Drivers
> ADMIN$ C:\WINDOWS Remote Admin
> C$ C:\ Default share
> IPC$ Remote IPC
> SharedDocs C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\DOCUMENTS
>
> DellLaser USB001 Spooled Dell Laser Printer 1100
> Printer DocuCom PDF Port: Spooled ScanSoft PDF Create!
> Printer2 Nuance Image Printer W Spooled PaperPort Image Printer
> Printer3 XPSPort: Spooled Microsoft XPS Document Writer
> Printer4 My Documents\*.pdf Spooled Creates Adobe PDF
> Printer5 Microsoft Document Ima Spooled Microsoft Office Document
> Image Wr
> Printer6 DocuCom PDF Port: Spooled DocuCom PDF Driver
> Printer7 USB002 Spooled Dell Photo AIO Printer 922
> The command completed successfully.
>

> ipconfig gives 102.168.0.10 for the desktop
>
> LAPTOP:
>
> ran both "net view \\desktopipaddress >c:\netview.txt". and "net view
> \\192.168.0.10>c:\netview.txt" and in both cases got 'Error 53 has
> occured, the network path was not found."
>

> --
>
> SN
>
> Regards and Happy Trails,
>
> Scott Needham
> Boulder, Colorado, USA
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In desktop, run "net share .c:\netshare.txt"
>> In desktop, run "ipconfig" and write down the IP address.
>> In laptop, run "net view \\desktopipaddress >c:\netview.txt". Replace the
>> IP address found in desktop ipconfig command with desktopipaddress.
>>
>> Copy and paste netshare.txt and netview.txt here.
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>> "S. Needham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:KFkSk.11080$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> This apparently didn't go through first try:
>>>
>>> OK, can't copy/paste the cmd window--can I post screen shots here?--,
>>> but
>>> the printer shows up in net share as "spooled" with the share name
>>> "DellLaser" as it is s'posed to. In net view, the only resource listed
>>> is
>>> \\Beverly" which I think is the name my wife gave the laptop; the i'net
>>> is
>>> accessible from the laptop.
>>>
>>> Regards and Happy Trails,
>>>
>>> Scott Needham
>>> Boulder, Colorado, USA
>>>

>>> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

S. Needham

Same result, Robert: 'Error 53 has occurred, the network path was not
found."

Just to clarify, this is the command I used:

net[space]view[space]\\192.168.0.10[space]>c:\netview.txt

SN
"

Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> There is a space between the ip address and >. it should look like this:
>
> net view \\192.168.0.10 >c:\netview.txt
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "S. Needham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%6BSk.2365$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> DESKTOP:
>>
>> Share name Resource Remark

>> print$ C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers
>> Printer Drivers
>> ADMIN$ C:\WINDOWS Remote Admin
>> C$ C:\ Default share
>> IPC$ Remote IPC
>> SharedDocs C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\DOCUMENTS
>>
>> DellLaser USB001 Spooled Dell Laser Printer 1100
>> Printer DocuCom PDF Port: Spooled ScanSoft PDF Create!
>> Printer2 Nuance Image Printer W Spooled PaperPort Image Printer
>> Printer3 XPSPort: Spooled Microsoft XPS Document
>> Writer
>> Printer4 My Documents\*.pdf Spooled Creates Adobe PDF
>> Printer5 Microsoft Document Ima Spooled Microsoft Office Document
>> Image Wr
>> Printer6 DocuCom PDF Port: Spooled DocuCom PDF Driver
>> Printer7 USB002 Spooled Dell Photo AIO Printer 922
>> The command completed successfully.
>>

>> ipconfig gives 102.168.0.10 for the desktop
>>
>> LAPTOP:
>>
>> ran both "net view \\desktopipaddress >c:\netview.txt". and "net view
>> \\192.168.0.10>c:\netview.txt" and in both cases got 'Error 53 has
>> occured, the network path was not found."
>>

>> --
>>
>> SN
>>
>> Regards and Happy Trails,
>>
>> Scott Needham
>> Boulder, Colorado, USA
>> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> In desktop, run "net share .c:\netshare.txt"
>>> In desktop, run "ipconfig" and write down the IP address.
>>> In laptop, run "net view \\desktopipaddress >c:\netview.txt". Replace
>>> the IP address found in desktop ipconfig command with desktopipaddress.
>>>
>>> Copy and paste netshare.txt and netview.txt here.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>>> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
>>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>>> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
>>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>> "S. Needham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:KFkSk.11080$(E-Mail Removed)...

Jim

"S. Needham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wZDSk.11576$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Same result, Robert: 'Error 53 has occurred, the network path was not
> found."
>
> Just to clarify, this is the command I used:
>
> net[space]view[space]\\192.168.0.10[space]>c:\netview.txt
>
> SN
> "
>

> Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> There is a space between the ip address and >. it should look like this:
>>
>> net view \\192.168.0.10 >c:\netview.txt
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>> "S. Needham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%6BSk.2365$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> DESKTOP:
>>>
>>> Share name Resource Remark

>>> print$ C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers
>>> Printer Drivers
>>> ADMIN$ C:\WINDOWS Remote Admin
>>> C$ C:\ Default share
>>> IPC$ Remote IPC
>>> SharedDocs C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\DOCUMENTS
>>>
>>> DellLaser USB001 Spooled Dell Laser Printer 1100
>>> Printer DocuCom PDF Port: Spooled ScanSoft PDF Create!
>>> Printer2 Nuance Image Printer W Spooled PaperPort Image Printer
>>> Printer3 XPSPort: Spooled Microsoft XPS Document
>>> Writer
>>> Printer4 My Documents\*.pdf Spooled Creates Adobe PDF
>>> Printer5 Microsoft Document Ima Spooled Microsoft Office Document
>>> Image Wr
>>> Printer6 DocuCom PDF Port: Spooled DocuCom PDF Driver
>>> Printer7 USB002 Spooled Dell Photo AIO Printer 922
>>> The command completed successfully.
>>>

>>> ipconfig gives 102.168.0.10 for the desktop
>>>
>>> LAPTOP:
>>>
>>> ran both "net view \\desktopipaddress >c:\netview.txt". and "net view
>>> \\192.168.0.10>c:\netview.txt" and in both cases got 'Error 53 has
>>> occured, the network path was not found."
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>>> SN
>>>
>>> Regards and Happy Trails,
>>>
>>> Scott Needham
>>> Boulder, Colorado, USA
>>> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

It would help a lot if you posted the results of ipconfig/all for both
computers.
Also, can each computer ping the other?
Is this an Ad-hoc network?
Jim

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Yes, can you ping each other by IP? If not, I would check any security
software settings.