Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > uninstalling programs

uninstalling programs

pp

Hi

How do I uninstall programs that have the uninstall.exe missing?
I recently uninstalled a few programs but later restored the pc to an
earlier restore point. Those programs are now showing up but I am unable to
uninstall them as they keep asking for the missing uninstall file. One
particular program is an antivirus program which I now cannot uninstall but
I also cannot reinstall it as it says it cannot uninstall the previous
version. I hope I've made sense!
TIA
Phil

CaptT

"pp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iqdSk.36699$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> Hi
>
> How do I uninstall programs that have the uninstall.exe missing?
> I recently uninstalled a few programs but later restored the pc to an
> earlier restore point. Those programs are now showing up but I am unable
> to uninstall them as they keep asking for the missing uninstall file. One
> particular program is an antivirus program which I now cannot uninstall
> but I also cannot reinstall it as it says it cannot uninstall the previous
> version. I hope I've made sense!
> TIA
> Phil

Done this myself. Answer is to reinstall program which will overwrite but
include the required uninstall bit. Then away you go.

Capt

Desk Rabbit

pp wrote:
> One particular program is an antivirus program which I now cannot
> uninstall but I also cannot reinstall it as it says it cannot uninstall
> the previous version. I hope I've made sense!

Crystal ball is not working here so I can't tell which of the hundreds
of possible AV programs and their versions you are talking about.

CaptT

Ah I see!!!! so many stalls that i lost sight of the reinsatll. If it
happens to be mcfee they have a cleaner program that wipes previous traces
away. Perhaps other makers have the same cleaners??

hwأf

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 10:48:46 +0000, pp aided th' terraists with the
following claims :

> Hi
>
> How do I uninstall programs that have the uninstall.exe missing?
> I recently uninstalled a few programs but later restored the pc to an
> earlier restore point. Those programs are now showing up but I am unable to
> uninstall them as they keep asking for the missing uninstall file. One
> particular program is an antivirus program which I now cannot uninstall but
> I also cannot reinstall it as it says it cannot uninstall the previous
> version. I hope I've made sense!
> TIA
> Phil

Learn to do some surgery in the registry?
Search the registry for the name of the program and delete the keys until
nothing shows when you F3 or "search again".
Might break yer compooter tho...but I'm a snotty linux user so
AFAIAC...you'd be better off using linux

http://i35.tinypic.com/2czc1ua.jpg

Juan Kerr

"pp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iqdSk.36699$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> Hi
>
> How do I uninstall programs that have the uninstall.exe missing?

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

chuckcar

"pp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:iqdSk.36699$(E-Mail Removed)2:

> Hi
>
> How do I uninstall programs that have the uninstall.exe missing?
> I recently uninstalled a few programs but later restored the pc to an
> earlier restore point. Those programs are now showing up but I am unable
> to uninstall them as they keep asking for the missing uninstall file.
> One particular program is an antivirus program which I now cannot
> uninstall but I also cannot reinstall it as it says it cannot uninstall
> the previous version. I hope I've made sense!
> TIA
> Phil

Install it over itself - the *same* version - it matters. And then reboot
and uninstall it.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

lars

pp skrev:
> Hi
>
> How do I uninstall programs that have the uninstall.exe missing?
> I recently uninstalled a few programs but later restored the pc to an
> earlier restore point. Those programs are now showing up but I am unable to
> uninstall them as they keep asking for the missing uninstall file. One
> particular program is an antivirus program which I now cannot uninstall but
> I also cannot reinstall it as it says it cannot uninstall the previous
> version. I hope I've made sense!
> TIA
> Phil

Just remove the directory where it's installed.

pp

Thanks everyone. It's sorted now.

Phil

"pp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iqdSk.36699$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> Hi
>
> How do I uninstall programs that have the uninstall.exe missing?
> I recently uninstalled a few programs but later restored the pc to an
> earlier restore point. Those programs are now showing up but I am unable
> to uninstall them as they keep asking for the missing uninstall file. One
> particular program is an antivirus program which I now cannot uninstall
> but I also cannot reinstall it as it says it cannot uninstall the previous
> version. I hope I've made sense!
> TIA
> Phil

joevan

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 09:46:30 -0000, "pp"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks everyone. It's sorted now.
>
>Phil
>

>"pp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:iqdSk.36699$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>> Hi
>>
>> How do I uninstall programs that have the uninstall.exe missing?
>> I recently uninstalled a few programs but later restored the pc to an
>> earlier restore point. Those programs are now showing up but I am unable
>> to uninstall them as they keep asking for the missing uninstall file. One
>> particular program is an antivirus program which I now cannot uninstall
>> but I also cannot reinstall it as it says it cannot uninstall the previous
>> version. I hope I've made sense!
>> TIA
>> Phil

Well, what did you do to resolve the problem. Its nice to tell the
nice people who helped you so that they can help others. Some people
will learn from your answer, maybe.