Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Password protection question.

Password protection question.

DLU

Is there a way to password protect separate pages.
For instance my program has a link to files posted on the website. Some
of these files are in separate folders such as documents, or contacts.
These are in individual pages. I would like to be able to password
protect just an individual page.

http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/
--
***************************************
* This is the Spammish Inquisition *

Nik Coughlin

"DLU" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:15b$4918d400$439f9013$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a way to password protect separate pages.
> For instance my program has a link to files posted on the website. Some
> of these files are in separate folders such as documents, or contacts.
> These are in individual pages. I would like to be able to password
> protect just an individual page.

http://www.google.com/search?q=passw...ndividual+page

dorayme

In article <15b$4918d400$439f9013$(E-Mail Removed)>,
DLU <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is there a way to password protect separate pages.
> For instance my program has a link to files posted on the website. Some
> of these files are in separate folders such as documents, or contacts.
> These are in individual pages. I would like to be able to password
> protect just an individual page.
>
> http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/

Look at:

<http://www.freewebmasterhelp.com/tutorials/htaccess/>

--
dorayme

DLU

dorayme wrote:
> In article <15b$4918d400$439f9013$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> DLU <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to password protect separate pages.
>> For instance my program has a link to files posted on the website. Some
>> of these files are in separate folders such as documents, or contacts.
>> These are in individual pages. I would like to be able to password
>> protect just an individual page.
>>
>> http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/

> Look at:
>
> <http://www.freewebmasterhelp.com/tutorials/htaccess/>

I looked at this but am not sure how to implement it.
--
***************************************
* This is the Spammish Inquisition *
* Not Lumber Cartel Unit 75 [TINLC] *
* I am not SPEWS.ORG *
***************************************

dorayme

In article <e7d20$4918ec5e$439f9013$(E-Mail Removed)>,
DLU <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> dorayme wrote:
> > In article <15b$4918d400$439f9013$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > DLU <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> Is there a way to password protect separate pages.
> >> For instance my program has a link to files posted on the website. Some
> >> of these files are in separate folders such as documents, or contacts.
> >> These are in individual pages. I would like to be able to password
> >> protect just an individual page.
> >>
> >> http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/

> > Look at:
> >
> > <http://www.freewebmasterhelp.com/tutorials/htaccess/>
> >

> I looked at this but am not sure how to implement it.

What are you having trouble with exactly? An htaccess is a plain text
file that sits on some servers which you can modify or have server admin
modify. Your server bluntly gives:

"Server: NOYB"

in a validation check so I can't tell.

There are more sophisticated ways to proceed with php but htaccess is
more basic...

--
dorayme

DLU

dorayme wrote:
> In article <e7d20$4918ec5e$439f9013$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> DLU <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> dorayme wrote:

>>> Look at:
>>>
>>> <http://www.freewebmasterhelp.com/tutorials/htaccess/>
>>>

>> I looked at this but am not sure how to implement it.

> What are you having trouble with exactly? An htaccess is a plain text
> file that sits on some servers which you can modify or have server admin
> modify. Your server bluntly gives:
>
> "Server: NOYB"

My server for site shown above is not the sever that is actually public.
The full site is at:
http://clubhouse.sierraclub.org/ca/cnrcc/

> in a validation check so I can't tell.
>
> There are more sophisticated ways to proceed with php but htaccess is
> more basic...

As far as I can tell, I have to write the code and upload it to the
server. I do not know if the server has it available, however I will be
in the offices of the IT crew on Friday so will ask them if it can be
implemented.

Then I have not seen how to apply it to a page.

--
***************************************

dorayme wrote:
> In article <e7d20$4918ec5e$439f9013$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> DLU <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> dorayme wrote:

>>> Look at:
>>>
>>> <http://www.freewebmasterhelp.com/tutorials/htaccess/>
>>>

>> I looked at this but am not sure how to implement it.

> What are you having trouble with exactly? An htaccess is a plain text
> file that sits on some servers which you can modify or have server admin
> modify. Your server bluntly gives:
>
> "Server: NOYB"
>
> in a validation check so I can't tell.
>
> There are more sophisticated ways to proceed with php but htaccess is
> more basic...

I guess I am confused.
It looks like .htaccess is a file extension. So do I make a file called
password.htaccess, or is it a folder?

What would I upload to the server to check it. The tutorial does not
seem to be complete. I do not seem to be able to save a file named
".htaccess"
--
***************************************
* This is the Spammish Inquisition *
* Not Lumber Cartel Unit 75 [TINLC] *
* I am not SPEWS.ORG *
***************************************

Phil

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/core.html#files

<files filename >

AuthType Basic
AuthName "popup caption here"
AuthUserFile path/pswdfile
Require valid-user

</files>

in pswdfile contains

username:encryptedpswd

the encrypted password is encrypted with crypt() and is one way password
so if you forget it you have to reset it with FTP.
the previously referenced site will do the password crypt for you.

if directory listing is allowed then you can see the file but it will
ask for UN/PW to access or download.

> dorayme wrote:
>> In article <15b$4918d400$439f9013$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> DLU <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a way to password protect separate pages.
>>> For instance my program has a link to files posted on the website.
>>> Some of these files are in separate folders such as documents, or
>>> contacts. These are in individual pages. I would like to be able
>>> to password protect just an individual page.
>>>
>>> http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/

>> Look at:
>>
>> <http://www.freewebmasterhelp.com/tutorials/htaccess/>
>>

> I looked at this but am not sure how to implement it.

richard

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 16:38:23 -0800, DLU <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Is there a way to password protect separate pages.
>For instance my program has a link to files posted on the website. Some
>of these files are in separate folders such as documents, or contacts.
>These are in individual pages. I would like to be able to password
>protect just an individual page.
>
>http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/

Ask your host first. They may not allow individual pages to be
password protected.

dorayme

In article <5455b$4919190b$439f9013$(E-Mail Removed)>,
DLU <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I guess I am confused.
> It looks like .htaccess is a file extension. So do I make a file called
> password.htaccess, or is it a folder?

It is not a file extension in the normal way. It is the name of the file
itself. Some OSs will not easily let you name a file this way and
display it in the finder (normal visible desktop, directories...). Macs
do have such named files but they are by default invisible and part of
the background machinary... There are ways to get show such files but
let's get practical: this is what I do:

I get my plain text editor out and create a new doc and name it
"htaccess" (without the "") and upload this to a server that will accept
such a file (Windows servers don't).

And then I change the name on the server itself by means of my FTP
program. It will accept the dot. My OS is sort of bypassed. In fact,
when I first did this, I heard my Mac OS X say something and I think it
was:

"Look Pal, you don't have to look all that sneaky, I know what you just
did! And you know what? I couldn't give a stuff. If you want to stick a
dot in front of your files on the server, go ahead, you are not fiddling
with me..."

> What would I upload to the server to check it.

You would upload a plain text file called htaccess and youwould rename
it .htaccess.

> The tutorial does not
> seem to be complete. I do not seem to be able to save a file named
> ".htaccess"

There are three parts to the tute, links at the bottom of the page I
think.

--
dorayme