Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > What causes DVDs to Freeze??

What causes DVDs to Freeze??

sam

Got some home-burned DVD+R discs that will periodically
freeze for a few secs, then jump and play fine till
next freeze. Maybe 4-6 freezes in a half-hour show.

I believe these all played fine first time we watched them.

No scratches or other marks, stored in envelopes in
a dark drawer. Happens on two different Phillips
players.

sam

xeaglecrest@att.net

sam wrote:

> Got some home-burned DVD+R discs that will periodically
> freeze for a few secs, then jump and play fine till
> next freeze. Maybe 4-6 freezes in a half-hour show.
>
> I believe these all played fine first time we watched them.
>
> No scratches or other marks, stored in envelopes in
> a dark drawer. Happens on two different Phillips
> players.
>
> sam

Lots of things can cause mis-reading of a disc. Some
players are just better at error correction than others.
If you start running into lots of problems, try switching
to a different brand DVDR.

If you want to try salvaging the recording, first try playing
the disc on your computer. If it plays OK, you can probably
just copy it to a new disc and fix the problem.

RickMerrill

sam wrote:
> Got some home-burned DVD+R discs that will periodically
> freeze for a few secs, then jump and play fine till
> next freeze. Maybe 4-6 freezes in a half-hour show.
>
> I believe these all played fine first time we watched them.
>
> No scratches or other marks, stored in envelopes in
> a dark drawer. Happens on two different Phillips
> players.
>
> sam

Have you run a cleaner CD into the player?

Try the DVD on another player. Some players are not as good as others
- what can I say?