Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > PC Self-Help Not Working

PC Self-Help Not Working

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Results of a survey of the UK workplace on the quality (or lack thereof) of
PC tech support:
<http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/11/07/errors-cause-chaos-workplace>.

Smaller companies try to get by without properly-skilled people: a third of
workers hit IT trouble, half of them tried to fix it themselves, and mostly
made things worse. The younger workers seem barely better at it, contrary
to expectations by some. Women are more likely to ask for help than men (so
what else is new...).

ObSnideAdvocacyRemark: people say how existing PC users are so familiar with
Microsoft Windows, that this is an obstacle to widespread adoption of a
radically new system like Linux. Frankly, it doesn't seem like it.

news:gf8p8b$mjq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Results of a survey of the UK workplace on the quality (or lack thereof)
> of
> PC tech support:
> <http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/11/07/errors-cause-chaos-workplace>.
>
> Smaller companies try to get by without properly-skilled people: a third
> of
> workers hit IT trouble, half of them tried to fix it themselves, and
> mostly
> made things worse. The younger workers seem barely better at it, contrary
> to expectations by some. Women are more likely to ask for help than men
> (so
> what else is new...).
>
> ObSnideAdvocacyRemark: people say how existing PC users are so familiar
> with
> Microsoft Windows, that this is an obstacle to widespread adoption of a
> radically new system like Linux. Frankly, it doesn't seem like it.

Yup, agreed. I know users who swear black and blue they know and prefer an
OS, it's just better.
Yet they wonder why their e-mail stops working and they have a mail stuck in
their outbox with a 200Mb tiff file attached. Or on OSX they didn't even
know you can press a key to show the desktop. Yet they're really sure they
know how to judge and choose an OS.

J&H.