Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Installing Python 2.6 on Vista

Installing Python 2.6 on Vista

Fuzzyman

Hello guys,

Not sure if this is a Windows question or a Python problem...

I'm trying to install Python 2.6 from the msi, on Windows Vista as an
administrative user with UAC on. If I try to install for all users
then I am told I don't have privileges to do that... (No UAC prompt.)

The only other user on the machine is the standard guest account, so
it isn't an issue, I just wondered why this would be?

Michael
--
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/

Fuzzyman

On Nov 9, 6:23*pm, "Guilherme Polo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 4:14 PM, Fuzzyman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Hello guys,

> > Not sure if this is a Windows question or a Python problem...

> > I'm trying to install Python 2.6 from the msi, on Windows Vista as an
> > administrative user with UAC on. If I try to install for all users
> > then I am told I don't have privileges to do that... (No UAC prompt.)

> > The only other user on the machine is the standard guest account, so
> > it isn't an issue, I just wondered why this would be?

> There is a "Vista note" inhttp://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6/
>
> runas /user:Administrator "msiexec /i <path>\<file>.msi"

Heh. Well it would, except the administrator user doesn't have a
password (purely a VM) and this is unacceptable for runas.

Michael

> Does that work for you ?
>
> > Michael
> > --
> >http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
> > --

> -- Guilherme H. Polo Goncalves

Martin v. Löwis

> Heh. Well it would, except the administrator user doesn't have a
> password (purely a VM) and this is unacceptable for runas.

There is, unfortunately, no other way to install Python 2.6 on Vista.
So your choices are really:
1. activate the Administrator account
2. disable UAC

Regards,
Martin

Fuzzyman

On Nov 9, 7:39*pm, "Martin v. Löwis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Heh. Well it would, except the administrator user doesn't have a
> > password (purely a VM) and this is unacceptable for runas.

> There is, unfortunately, no other way to install Python 2.6 on Vista.
> So your choices are really:
> 1. activate the Administrator account
> 2. disable UAC
>
> Regards,
> Martin

It installs fine for 'just me', so no problem. I was just curious as
to why I couldn't install it for all users. Even for a VM I should
probably set an admin password.

Thanks

Michael
--
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/

Martin v. Löwis

> It installs fine for 'just me', so no problem.

It installs for 'just me', but it doesn't work. Just try starting
IDLE, or import the socket module.

Regards,
Martin

Steve Holden

Fuzzyman wrote:
> On Nov 9, 7:39 pm, "Martin v. Löwis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Heh. Well it would, except the administrator user doesn't have a
>>> password (purely a VM) and this is unacceptable for runas.

>> There is, unfortunately, no other way to install Python 2.6 on Vista.
>> So your choices are really:
>> 1. activate the Administrator account
>> 2. disable UAC
>>
>> Regards,
>> Martin

> It installs fine for 'just me', so no problem. I was just curious as
> to why I couldn't install it for all users. Even for a VM I should
> probably set an admin password.

The way I worked this was to run a command window as administrator and
then run the installer from the command line.

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119