Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Why system restore did not get rid of program installed?

Why system restore did not get rid of program installed?

lbbss

I had a problem with my mouse not being detected, so I did a system
restore 2 weeks back. This fixed my problem, but I was surprised
that I had a few freeware programs that I have installed in between
this two week span and system restore did not uninstall them? I know
that typically sys restore does not touch your data files, but it
should for programs? is that right? Thanks.

richard

On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 20:35:23 -0800 (PST), lbbss <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I had a problem with my mouse not being detected, so I did a system
>restore 2 weeks back. This fixed my problem, but I was surprised
>that I had a few freeware programs that I have installed in between
>this two week span and system restore did not uninstall them? I know
>that typically sys restore does not touch your data files, but it
>should for programs? is that right? Thanks.

It all depends on whether or not if those programs use the registry
and how much.
Technically, system restore only backdates the windows files, not your
data files or program files.
There may be times though, if you have a program installed on the same
drive as the OS, it might get wiped out.
Which is one reason why I try not to install programs on that drive.

VanguardLH

lbbss wrote:

> I had a problem with my mouse not being detected, so I did a system
> restore 2 weeks back. This fixed my problem, but I was surprised
> that I had a few freeware programs that I have installed in between
> this two week span and system restore did not uninstall them? I know
> that typically sys restore does not touch your data files, but it
> should for programs? is that right? Thanks.

Start -> Help and Support
Search on "system restore".
Read.
Then you'll realize that System Restore is NOT an uninstaller.
You'll also realize that System Restore is NOT a partition imager.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

lbbss <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I had a problem with my mouse not being detected, so I did a system
>restore 2 weeks back. This fixed my problem, but I was surprised
>that I had a few freeware programs that I have installed in between
>this two week span and system restore did not uninstall them? I know
>that typically sys restore does not touch your data files, but it
>should for programs? is that right? Thanks.

I have never used system restore, I use ERUNT.

But system restore only cares about windows files or programs

Not being a windows OS files or program your programs would be
ignored.

Even with ERUNT your programs would remain but there would be no
registry entries for them, so you could just delete them or reinstall
again.
--

Think, dropping golf balls
http://tinyurl.com/6rt75p

why?

On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 20:35:23 -0800 (PST), lbbss wrote:

>I had a problem with my mouse not being detected, so I did a system
>restore 2 weeks back. This fixed my problem, but I was surprised

2 weeks is a bit tricky, if another system restore aware app or 2 or 3
were installed since then.

>that I had a few freeware programs that I have installed in between
>this two week span and system restore did not uninstall them? I know
>that typically sys restore does not touch your data files, but it
>should for programs? is that right? Thanks.

Um... not. Could depend if you created a restore point manually before
installing an app and after.

Find out what system restore does.

About/How to use and other links
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...w_03may19.mspx

Which passwords are restored and those that aren't
Information on System Restore and Password Restoration
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295050/

SR does and doesn't do.
http://www.andyrathbone.com/tips/systemrestore.html

Use System Restore to Undo Changes if Problems Occur
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...emrestore.mspx

How to restore Windows XP to a previous state
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

Troubleshooting issues
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302796

Me

chuckcar

richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 20:35:23 -0800 (PST), lbbss <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>I had a problem with my mouse not being detected, so I did a system
>>restore 2 weeks back. This fixed my problem, but I was surprised
>>that I had a few freeware programs that I have installed in between
>>this two week span and system restore did not uninstall them? I know
>>that typically sys restore does not touch your data files, but it
>>should for programs? is that right? Thanks.

> It all depends on whether or not if those programs use the registry
> and how much.
> Technically, system restore only backdates the windows files, not your
> data files or program files.
> There may be times though, if you have a program installed on the same
> drive as the OS, it might get wiped out.
> Which is one reason why I try not to install programs on that drive.

No it will *never* erase any files. It just changes the registry itself.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )