Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Design Question..

Design Question..

hellerstvn@gmail.com

Hello,

I am making a final project for a class in VHDL using the Altera DE2
board. My group is trying to make a breakout type game, and I was
wondering if someone could give us some tips regarding a few things...

First, we are trying to decide how we should go about storing
information for all of the bricks. We were thinking of having a
brick.vhdl file, and each "brick" would have registers for it's color,
height, width, x, y, exists and signals. Then we were going to maybe
make some type of "matrix" to hold all the bricks.. graphically, there
is big grid of bricks, and if a brick "exists" it will be drawn to a
monitor, otherwise don't draw anything.

Our main questions is how to go about making all these "bricks". is it
best to make a "brick matrix" entity that just basically declares all
the bricks inside that, or keep it to top level? There are going to be
multiple in and outputs for each brick.. Or, should we store this
information on the altera board's ram?

Thank for any tips...

Mike Treseler

> Our main questions is how to go about making all these "bricks". is it
> best to make a "brick matrix" entity that just basically declares all
> the bricks inside that, or keep it to top level? There are going to be
> multiple in and outputs for each brick.. Or, should we store this
> information on the altera board's ram?

That's what I would do. Software bricks on nios.
You might need some vhdl code to boot the nios,
and get the vga and codec working the way you want.
Good luck.

-- Mike Treseler