Velocity Reviews > General Computer Discussion > Hardware > is it possible to substitute my PCs d drive with a dvd player

is it possible to substitute my PCs d drive with a dvd player

emmo emmo is offline
Junior Member

Sometime ago I was plugging a microphone into the front of my PC ,(gaming),and accidentally brushed a USB port,resulting in an incredibly disturbing noise and immediate shutdown.
Since then I have been unable to read any cds and I was hoping to establish a cd/dvd/r capability with an external device.
I have recently recovered my 'puter from an attack by virus and among other things, is in dire need of reading its Windows CD.
I have a Mintek 1600 which is capable of quite a bit and then some, and my pc has,( of course), USBs, 1394 6pin, 4pin, COM1, VGA and DVI/I on the video card along with what looks like an s/video jack (but has 7 holes and a wider "mouth" at the bottom).
How do I go about this if it is at all possible. I just don't feel like waiting for a wrongly ordered cable after another to come through the post and achieve nothing better than I have now.
Thank you for your time to read my post.
Kerry

emmo emmo is offline
Junior Member

Well thanks for the great ideas.