Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Cannot connect to other wireless networks

Cannot connect to other wireless networks

Gator

I need help. Everytime I take my laptop out of the house and try connecting
to wi-fi somewhere I cannot. It tells me that I am connected but when I
click on internet explorer and get "cannot display page." Is there a setting
that I have wrong or something? I don't know what to do and AT&T wants me to
pay for help when I already give them a lot of money for their services a
month. I just tried recently at a hotel where they had wi-fi and 2 other
people in the room got connections and I didn't. If someone could tell me
what all my setting should be at step by step then I could run through and
make sure I have it all checked. I don't know what else to do. Please help.
Thank you in advance.

Barb Bowman

can you post a copy of ipconfig /all as a text file when you can NOT
connect. and one when you CAN connect

instructions are at:

http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.c...t-text-output/

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP

Lem

Gator wrote:
> I need help. Everytime I take my laptop out of the house and try connecting
> to wi-fi somewhere I cannot. It tells me that I am connected but when I
> click on internet explorer and get "cannot display page." Is there a setting
> that I have wrong or something? I don't know what to do and AT&T wants me to
> pay for help when I already give them a lot of money for their services a
> month. I just tried recently at a hotel where they had wi-fi and 2 other
> people in the room got connections and I didn't. If someone could tell me
> what all my setting should be at step by step then I could run through and
> make sure I have it all checked. I don't know what else to do. Please help.
> Thank you in advance.

Have you ever successfully connected using wifi *anywhere*? If not,
perhaps (a) your laptop does not have built-in wifi or (b) (more likely)
your laptop's built-in wifi adapter is turned off. Many laptops have
either a physical switch or a combination of keys to press to turn the
wifi on and off.

See the documentation that came with your laptop.

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
You probably using secure Wireless at Home.
Free Hot Spots usually are open.
Try to disable the Wireless Laptop security and see if it works.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

news:(E-Mail Removed)...