Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Reading a text file which is easy to read when printed

Reading a text file which is easy to read when printed

Miner Jeff

I've written some code that reads a text file. I have a requirement
that the text file also be in a format that's easy to read when it's
printed. In a prior project, I had used some spreadsheet commands to
generate the text data in a neat format by inserting variable numbers
of spaces for each data item, based on the actual character count of
the data item. Now, with this new project, I have many more columns of
data and I've exceeded Excel's formula length.

Any suggestions about how to meet both the requirements? I.E.,
reading the data with the program and in hardcopy? I've played around
with inserting blank columns in the spreadsheet before pasting the
data into a text file but of course I get a tab for each blank cell
and the data isn't lined up in columns. Right now, the program code,
doesn't discard tab characters but I think there's a way to do that.

Thanks,

Miner Jeff

Ian Collins

Miner Jeff wrote:
> I've written some code that reads a text file. I have a requirement
> that the text file also be in a format that's easy to read when it's
> printed. In a prior project, I had used some spreadsheet commands to
> generate the text data in a neat format by inserting variable numbers
> of spaces for each data item, based on the actual character count of
> the data item. Now, with this new project, I have many more columns of
> data and I've exceeded Excel's formula length.
>
> Any suggestions about how to meet both the requirements?

Use OpenOffice?

--
Ian Collins

Miner Jeff

On Nov 7, 4:41*pm, Sam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> *application_pgp-signature_part
> < 1KViewDownload
>
> Miner Jeff writes:
> > I've written some code that reads a text file. I have a requirement
> > that the text file also be in a format that's easy to read when it's
> > printed. In a prior project, I had used some spreadsheet commands to
> > generate the text data in a neat format by inserting variable numbers
> > of spaces for each data item, based on the actual character count of
> > the data item. Now, with this new project, I have many more columns of
> > data and I've exceeded Excel's formula length.

> > Any suggestions about how to meet both the requirements? *I.E.,

> Well, when you come up with a question about the C++ programming language,
> you will actually meet the requirements for posting questions to this
> newsfroup.

What's a newsfroup?

I solved the problem after I made the post.

Jeff