Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > eating my words re: Linux

eating my words re: Linux

fat_man_on_a_bicycle@mail.com

approx 1 year ago I nearly started WW3 in this group by moaning about
how cr*p Linux is.

the stuff that really peed me off was having to type things like

sudo sed -i -e "s/# deb/deb/g" /etc/apt/sources.list && sudo apt-get
update

in a friggin command line when I had no idea if I was installing Flash
or a Trojan key-logger

I noticed last week that a new version of Ubuntu i.e.vers 8.10 was
out, so decided to give a spin.

I've got to admit I'm impressed.

Dual boot Install (with XP) on a 20GB partition has gone smoothly
including sensible requests like 'do you want to install the required
codecs' with no need for command line stuff.

All my fav stuff works e.g. PhotoshopTV, BBC iPlayer, YouTube, Google
Earth, xvid movies, DVDs, mp3s etc

- fat man on a bicycle - eating his words

Tony

Ubuntu = ****

--
The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

proper manners

beyond the realm of understandability

Mike Easter

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I noticed last week that a new version of Ubuntu i.e.vers 8.10 was
> out, so decided to give a spin.
>
> I've got to admit I'm impressed.

> - fat man on a bicycle - eating his words

Good. Next you should start using a newsreader to read and post to usenet
groups like this one instead of GG googlegroups. There are plenty of
linux newsreaders which can easily be installed with Synaptic's point and
click, such as Thunderbird, Evolution and others. There are plenty of
free newsservers aioe, motzarella, and others.

There are a lot of things wrong with reading & posting to usenet via GG:

- compared to a newsreader, GG's interface is terrible
- GG provides no filtering of all of the GG sourced spam & hipcrime &
anonymized trolls
- GG's topic threading is very poor - nonexistent
- GG doesn't carry a lot of useful usenet groups, eg alt.os.linux.ubuntu
- because there's so much GG sourced spam & hipcrime & other
undesirables, many people filter /all/ GG posters, meaning that many of
the people who could help with a problem don't even see a GGer's post
- GG tends to induce some poor posting practices, such as top posting,
untrimmed bottom posting
- GG exposes the user's connectivity IP and as well as a good email
address in the From, which bothers privacy concerns
- GG doesn't provide an autosig or autosigtrimming

--
Mike Easter

Tony

Mike ya know i never knew how Carlton Heston felt in The Planet Of The Apes
when he got back in time on Earth (maybe it was forward) and they were all
apes when he said dam you all to pieces. After the election i know exactly
what he means now.

--
The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

manners

the realm of understandability

Bucky Breeder

"Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:gf22i1$6v5$(E-Mail Removed):

> There are a lot of things wrong with reading & posting
> to usenet via GG:

Earth to retard, aka Easter, this thread's topic is about
an individual's adventure and discovery of new virtual
territories to explore and enjoy.

Quit being such an a-hole and go back to beating your dog
or whatever it is you do that makes you such a jerk.

--

I *am* Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , and I'm probably NOT your "baby-daddy".

[Your link(s) here - reasonable prices - current FX rates]

http://www.theonion.com/content/vide...uses_obsessive

Cork Soaker

Tony = ****

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>> the stuff that really peed me off was having to type things like
>>
>> sudo sed -i -e "s/# deb/deb/g" /etc/apt/sources.list && sudo apt-get
>> update
>>
>> in a friggin command line when I had no idea if I was installing Flash
>> or a Trojan key-logger

Then you are a ****ing idiot!

Tony

Last time i watched the move it was a censored version and the line actually
was changed to dam you all to pieces.

--
The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

manners

the realm of understandability

Tony

If Chuckcar uses that operating system it has to be ****. Chuck is a freeware
fanatic, me i know you can't get something for nothing.

--
The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

manners

the realm of understandability

Bucky Breeder

"Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) m:

> Tony wrote:
>
>> Carlton Heston [...] After the election i know exactly
>> what he means now.

> "God damn you all to hell" - video clip of the beach scene with the
> destroyed Statue of Liberty and the Heston line pounding the wet sand
> here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYBDiD6ZCr8
>
> Place where you can give Obama some guidance in how to run the country
> here "It's Your America: Share Your Ideas - Share with us your concerns
> and hopes. - the policies you want to see carried out in the next four
> years." http://www.change.gov/page/s/yourvision

This is a whole 'nuther topic...

Try to be more inclusive, like good leetle gurls.

I'm suggesting they keep internet business transactions exempt from state
sales taxes to give that part of the economy a boost.

--

I am Bucky Breeder , (*(^; , & I got the key to your brand new
rollerskate.

[Your link(s) here - reasonable prices - current FX rates]

http://www.theonion.com/content/vide...uses_obsessive

fat_man_on_a_bicycle@mail.com

so Linux gets better, but the command line a**holes get worse

it's not an OS it's a friggin CULT

WW3 again

- fat man on a bicycle -

Re: Words and non-words, according to Microsoft et al Steve B NZ Computing 11 03-21-2008 11:52 PM
Replace stop words (remove words from a string) BerlinBrown Python 6 01-17-2008 02:37 PM
Words Words utab C++ 6 02-16-2006 07:00 PM
Non-noise words are incorrectly recognised as noise words. Peter Strĝiman ASP .Net 1 08-23-2005 01:26 PM
Re: A little bit of help regarding my linked list program required. - "words.c" - "words.c" Richard Heathfield C Programming 7 10-05-2003 02:38 PM

Advertisments