Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > passive boosters, 802.11 g v. n

passive boosters, 802.11 g v. n

Judges1318

Would anyone care to comment/recommend on a wireless home router
for one laptop computer.

The configuration is:

The children's room is under the garage, with a concrete ceiling
(the garage floor) above it.

The room has an ADSL (telescum), and a children's desktop.

The lounge/kitchen is above the garage, and there
is a brand new laptop in it, with a 802.11n device.

The intention is to put a 802.11 router next to the
ADSL modem, in order to have a wireless connection
for the laptop.

There are no other computers to be linked.

Mrs. does not want any wires anywhere in the lounge, so rewiring
is out of question.

- Will 'n' wireless work through a concrete slab.

- Will 'g' work through a concrete slab?

- If both will work, would the 'n' work any better than the 'g'?

- BTW, what are good 'g' and 'n' routers, in your experience/opinion?

- Is 'g' fast enough for all practical purposes, according
to your experience/opinion (streaming audio, youtube rubbish and alike)?

- Is there a passive 'booster' i.e. a directional antenna
that can be added to a wireless router?

- Will it help to get the signal through the concrete slab?

Some time ago someone was using a wok net as a parabolic reflector,
but I have forgotten where I saw it.

All comments/hints welcome.

Cheers!

EMB

Judges1318 wrote:

> - Will 'n' wireless work through a concrete slab.

Maybe

> - Will 'g' work through a concrete slab?

Also maybe

> - If both will work, would the 'n' work any better than the 'g'?

Almost certainly

> - BTW, what are good 'g' and 'n' routers, in your experience/opinion?

Linksys

> - Is 'g' fast enough for all practical purposes, according
> to your experience/opinion (streaming audio, youtube rubbish and alike)?

802.11g will give you a real world throughput of close to 20Mb/s with a
decent signal. Is your broadband faster than that?

> - Is there a passive 'booster' i.e. a directional antenna
> that can be added to a wireless router?

Yes

> - Will it help to get the signal through the concrete slab?

maybe - it'll depend a lot on the thickness of the slab and how much
steel is in it.

> Some time ago someone was using a wok net as a parabolic reflector,
> but I have forgotten where I saw it.

http://www.usbwifi.orconhosting.net.nz/

Judges1318

EMB wrote:
> Judges1318 wrote:
>>
>> - Will 'n' wireless work through a concrete slab.

> Maybe
>>
>> - Will 'g' work through a concrete slab?

> Also maybe
>
>> - If both will work, would the 'n' work any better than the 'g'?

> Almost certainly
>

>> - BTW, what are good 'g' and 'n' routers, in your experience/opinion?

> Linksys
>>
>> - Is 'g' fast enough for all practical purposes, according
>> to your experience/opinion (streaming audio, youtube rubbish and alike)?

> 802.11g will give you a real world throughput of close to 20Mb/s with a
> decent signal. Is your broadband faster than that?
>>
>> - Is there a passive 'booster' i.e. a directional antenna
>> that can be added to a wireless router?

> Yes
>>
>> - Will it help to get the signal through the concrete slab?
>>

> maybe - it'll depend a lot on the thickness of the slab and how much
> steel is in it.
>
>> Some time ago someone was using a wok net as a parabolic reflector,
>> but I have forgotten where I saw it.

> http://www.usbwifi.orconhosting.net.nz/

That helped! Thanks a lot!

Craig Sutton

"Judges1318" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

> Would anyone care to comment/recommend on a wireless home router
> for one laptop computer.
>
> The configuration is:
>
> The children's room is under the garage, with a concrete ceiling
> (the garage floor) above it.
>
> The room has an ADSL (telescum), and a children's desktop.
>
> The lounge/kitchen is above the garage, and there
> is a brand new laptop in it, with a 802.11n device.
>
> The intention is to put a 802.11 router next to the
> ADSL modem, in order to have a wireless connection
> for the laptop.
>
> There are no other computers to be linked.
>
> Mrs. does not want any wires anywhere in the lounge, so rewiring
> is out of question.

Reality is try it out and see. Look for one with multiple antennas, either
internal or replaceable external ones which can be swapped for ones with
higher gain.

I'm using a WL 600 G all in one

Judges1318

grum wrote:

> http://www.dynalink.co.nz/cms/index....eless-homeplug

Hm, interesting! I have not known they were making these! Thanks!

> oh, and re "no other computers to be linked" - just you wait - plan for
> it now I'd say. Sooner or later there will be an iPod touch, or a media
> streamer, or a kids laptop, needing to join the LAN.

I know. But forward looking has become a luxury.
Otherwise, I would have proposed recabling of the whole house,
and resolve all household networking issues "forever".

Richard

Mark Robinson wrote:

> Parabolic reflectors and other directional antennae narrow the signal
> into a beam. This improves coverage in the path of the beam and dimishes
> it everywhere else. Such systems do not give general coverage.
>
> There will be no significant advantages in using 'n' over 'g'. Neither
> will go through the slab well.
>
> A 'g' router will be faster than your internet connection. If you move
> lots of data around within your network 'n' will give you some advantage
> beyond future proofing.

I would disagree with that. G only gives a 54meg rate when in the same
room, which delivers about 18-20. When you have a wall in the way the
speed still shows the link at 54 or 36, but the thruput will plummet to
5-10 on a good day.

Multiple antennas, and gear that supports mimo helps a hell of a lot in
non line of sight conditions, N has that so is a great step up from G
for stability of the connection IME, and the speed will become a non
issue thruout most of a normal small NZ house.

I would get a N accesspoint and try it in various locations downstairs
to see how it goes upstairs. Dont get an all in one router since that
makes moving things around a pain.

XSPC Passive Aluminium Reservoir @ Viperlair Silverstrand Front Page News 0 08-24-2005 11:06 PM
passive ftp on CSS 11150 fails Martial Cisco 1 12-01-2004 08:55 AM
Any chance for passive FTP with this config? Matthias Fischer Cisco 0 01-31-2004 11:08 AM
ftp passive command brian Cisco 0 11-22-2003 01:30 AM
Disable passive ftp in Mozilla 1.4 Michel Hoogervorst Firefox 0 07-29-2003 06:29 AM

Advertisments