Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > eclipse tutorial needed for project that already exists

Reply
Thread Tools

eclipse tutorial needed for project that already exists

 
 
marlow.andrew@googlemail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-06-2008
Hello,

I need to learn eclipse and I am struggling. In particular I need to
set up eclipse for a project that already exists. All tht tutorials I
have seen so far assume the project is empty, i.e does not exist. Can
anyone suggest where I should start please?

-Andrew Marlow
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Lew
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-06-2008
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need to learn eclipse and I am struggling. In particular I need to
> set up eclipse for a project that already exists. All tht tutorials I
> have seen so far assume the project is empty, i.e does not exist. Can
> anyone suggest where I should start please?


Menu: File / Import...

--
Lew
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
marlow.andrew@googlemail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-06-2008
On 6 Nov, 15:14, Lew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Hello,

>
> > I need to learn eclipse and I am struggling. In particular I need to
> > set up eclipse for a project that already exists. All tht tutorials I
> > have seen so far assume the project is empty, i.e does not exist. Can
> > anyone suggest where I should start please?

>
> Menu: File / Import...
>
> --
> Lew


I thought I had tried this before and hit problems. I am worried that
it will not do the right thing because the directory contains stuff
that svn created.
 
Reply With Quote
 
marlow.andrew@googlemail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-06-2008
On 6 Nov, 16:03, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On 6 Nov, 15:14, Lew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > > Hello,

>
> > > I need to learn eclipse and I am struggling. In particular I need to
> > > set up eclipse for a project that already exists. All tht tutorials I
> > > have seen so far assume the project is empty, i.e does not exist. Can
> > > anyone suggest where I should start please?

>
> > Menu: File / Import...

>
> > --
> > Lew

>
> I thought I had tried this before and hit problems. I am worried that
> it will not do the right thing because the directory contains stuff
> that svn created.


I started to try it and yes, sure enough, all the .svn directories
throughout the structure and marked for import. It is a pain to go
through and manually de-select them. Surely there must be a better
way.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Wojtek
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-06-2008
(E-Mail Removed) wrote :
> Hello,
>
> I need to learn eclipse and I am struggling. In particular I need to
> set up eclipse for a project that already exists. All tht tutorials I
> have seen so far assume the project is empty, i.e does not exist. Can
> anyone suggest where I should start please?


go to http://www.eclipse.org/newsgroups/ and sign up, then ask the
question in the Eclipse forums

--
Wojtek


 
Reply With Quote
 
Lew
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-06-2008
On Nov 6, 11:16*am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On 6 Nov, 16:03, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>>> I need to learn eclipse and I am struggling. In particular I need to
>>>> set up eclipse for a project that already exists. All tht tutorials I
>>>> have seen so far assume the project is empty, i.e does not exist. Can
>>>> anyone suggest where I should start please?



Lew wrote:
>>> Menu: File / Import...



(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I thought I had tried this before and hit problems. I am worried that
>> it will not do the right thing because the directory contains stuff
>> that svn created.


I should think you would want that stuff.

Doesn't Eclipse integrate with SVN?

> I started to try it and yes, sure enough, all the .svn directories
> throughout the structure and marked for import. It is a pain to go
> through and manually de-select them. Surely there must be a better
> way.


Isn't deselecting them just a matter of unchecking some directory-
selection checkboxes?

If you don't import the SVN directories, you will have trouble staying
synched with the repository, won't you?

--
Lew
 
Reply With Quote
 
John B. Matthews
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-06-2008
In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> On 6 Nov, 16:03, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > On 6 Nov, 15:14, Lew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > > > Hello,

> >
> > > > I need to learn eclipse and I am struggling. In particular I
> > > > need to set up eclipse for a project that already exists. All
> > > > tht tutorials I have seen so far assume the project is empty,
> > > > i.e does not exist. Can anyone suggest where I should start
> > > > please?

> >
> > > Menu: File / Import...

> >
> > I thought I had tried this before and hit problems. I am worried
> > that it will not do the right thing because the directory contains
> > stuff that svn created.

>
> I started to try it and yes, sure enough, all the .svn directories
> throughout the structure and marked for import. It is a pain to go
> through and manually de-select them. Surely there must be a better
> way.


Have you installed Subclipse? <http://subclipse.tigris.org/>

--
John B. Matthews
trashgod at gmail dot com
http://home.roadrunner.com/~jbmatthews/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tom Anderson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-06-2008
On Thu, 6 Nov 2008, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> On 6 Nov, 16:03, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> On 6 Nov, 15:14, Lew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>>
>>>> I need to learn eclipse and I am struggling. In particular I need to
>>>> set up eclipse for a project that already exists. All tht tutorials I
>>>> have seen so far assume the project is empty, i.e does not exist. Can
>>>> anyone suggest where I should start please?
>>>
>>> Menu: File / Import...

>>
>> I thought I had tried this before and hit problems. I am worried that
>> it will not do the right thing because the directory contains stuff
>> that svn created.

>
> I started to try it and yes, sure enough, all the .svn directories
> throughout the structure and marked for import. It is a pain to go
> through and manually de-select them. Surely there must be a better
> way.


One option would be to make a copy of the project's tree, then
automatically delete all the SVN stuff - something like (from the project
root directory):

find -print0 . -type d -name .svn | xargs -0 rm -rf

If you're using windows rather than unix, you'll need to unstall the
coreutils and findutils packages from GnuWin32 first:

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages.html

There may be a similar way to do this operation using windows's own
command-line tools, but i don't know those well enough to say.

You can use a similar command line to purge any other files you don't want
imported.

Another, and probably better, option would be to install Subclipse and
check the project out into Eclipse directly from the svn repository. If
you don't want to continue working with the repository, you can then
disconnect the project from it - something like Team > Disconnect, i
think.

tom

--
Thinking about it, history begins now -- sarah
 
Reply With Quote
 
Arne Vajh°j
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-06-2008
Lew wrote:
> Doesn't Eclipse integrate with SVN?


http://www.eclipse.org/subversive/
http://subclipse.tigris.org/
etc.

Arne
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lew
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-06-2008
Tom Anderson wrote:
> One option would be to make a copy of the project's tree, then
> automatically delete all the SVN stuff - something like (from the project
> root directory):
>
> find -print0 . -type d -name .svn | xargs -0 rm -rf
>
> If you're using windows rather than unix, you'll need to unstall the
> coreutils and findutils packages from GnuWin32 first:


Or the Cygwin utilities, which give an entire bash (or other) shell
and related UNIX-like environment to Windows:

<http://cygwin.com/>

--
Lew
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
problem in running a basic code in python 3.3.0 that includes HTML file Satabdi Mukherjee Python 1 04-04-2013 07:48 PM
System.IO.IOException: Cannot create a file when that file already exists. Chad Crowder ASP .Net 7 10-24-2009 06:39 AM
How to check if a directory exists? folder.exists() does not work! Ulf Meinhardt Java 8 08-28-2009 12:26 PM
finding if file exists or not in apache webdav server and if exists what is the mime type of it.... Totan Java 0 04-17-2006 05:13 AM
Re: Class already exists ... help please!! Alvin Bruney [MVP] ASP .Net 0 04-06-2004 04:04 AM



Advertisments