Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > "Memory Stick"

"Memory Stick"

Your Name

> It's simple. Drives are *driven* by a motor. The media (or the reels it's
> stored on) rotates. USB flash memory devices are not drives. <eod>

Of course it's simple. The problem is far too many people on the 'Net are
even more "simple". That's what you get when the average mental age of users
is about 13.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jerry wrote:

> If you can see the data (without special treatment, like developing tape)
> it isn't a drive.

So what about optical discs, then? See those colours when you hold it up to
the light? That's your data.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

What about this <http://www.google.co.nz/?q=ramdrive.sys>, then?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jerry wrote:

> If you cannot see the data it is a drive.

So bubble memories were drives?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jerry wrote:

> If you can see the data (without special treatment, like developing tape)
> it isn't a drive. If you cannot see the data it is a drive.

Here's another one: mercury delay lines (used for data storage back in the
days of vacuum-valve computers). You can't see the data. So they
were "drives"?

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Jerry" typed:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Your Name" typed:
>>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in
>>> message news:gfad2f$lal$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> If you say so. It's really not worth wasting any more of my time on.

>> It's simple. Drives are *driven* by a motor. The media (or the reels
>> it's stored on) rotates. USB flash memory devices are not drives.
>> <eod>

> Paper tape readers/punches, as well as card machines were driven by
> motors. It was called a card reader, or a card read/punch, not a card
> drive.

So, what you're telling me is that the media, (or reels it was stored on),
*didn't* rotate and it wasn't called a drive.

I couldn've sworn that's what I said.....
--
Shaun.

me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Jerry" typed:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>

>> Magnetic-tape devices were "drives", paper-tape ones were not. What
>> was the key difference? The magnetic-tape ones were block devices,
>> the paper-tape ones were not.
>>
>> So coming back to the present day, the use of the term "drive" for
>> optical discs, RAM drives and flash-memory drives makes sense,
>> because they are also block devices.

> Paper tape, and cards punched holes in the media to store data. If
> you can see the data (without special treatment, like developing
> tape) it isn't a drive. If you cannot see the data it is a drive.

Wow! Are OED or Mirriam-Webster aware that you've created a whole new
definition for the word "drive"?
--
Shaun.

me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...

> The products you mention don;t punch anything, and you don't have to
> sweep the floor, so they are indeed drives!

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jerry wrote:

> Tapes (including streaming tapes, which were not block devices) were
> called drives.

_All_ tape drives are/were block devices, including "streaming" ones
<http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/s/stretape.htm>.