Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > How to read data from WLAN card directly and bypassing the TCP/IP

How to read data from WLAN card directly and bypassing the TCP/IP

=?Utf-8?B?S2V0YW4u?=

I am using Win XP and Netgear WLAN PCMCIA card. Everything works fine normally.

I am working on a project in which I have created a small system with a
microcontroller connected to a WLAN card. Microcontroller sends raw data to
WLAN card and WLAN card wraps data in a 802.11 b frame and sends it out.
There is not usage of TCP or UDP protocol at all before the data sent out.
These data will be read by my Netgear WLAN card attached to my laptop
running Win XP. Since my microcontroller did not use TCP, I can not use
regular application development tools to write my application. I need to
write an applicatin that will run on my laptop and talk to WLAN card directly
and bypass the TCP / UDP (Transport layer) completely. Could anyone put me in
right direction here?

I know that I will have to set up my laptop + WLAN card in ad-hoc mode in
order to receive data from the microntroller + WLAN. Any help will be
appreciated.

Carl DaVault [MSFT]

You might be able to find code on the internet somewhere - either in drivers
themselves or open software for windows that interacts with wireless drivers
(I think there might be open source sniffer packages, for example).

To my knowledge, there is not an easy public windows API do what you are
suggesting.

However, generally speaking, you can talk to drivers using IOCTL calls from
most user-mode apps. See
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...eiocontrol.asp

More wireless driver info can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device...s/default.mspx

--
Standard Disclaimers -
and confers no rights. Please do not send e-mail directly

news:(E-Mail Removed)...