Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > USB 3.0. Like, Wow!

USB 3.0. Like, Wow!

~misfit~

"The USB 3.0 specification, a next-generation high-speed connection standard
due in 2009, is significant because all future PCs and devices will use
connectors based on it. The spec is also expected to offer 10 times the
speed of USB 2.0--used in virtually all PCs introduced in the last few
years--or roughly 5 gigabits per second."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10...=2547-1_3-0-20

Who needs SATA?
--
Shaun.

me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, thing2 wrote:

> ... USB is a very simple protocol...the limitations are the HD and
> not the interface anyway....SATA, SAS will just get faster and more
> feature rich...but Im guessing.

A few years ago, Stuart Cheshire, the mastermind behind Zeroconf, said that
you only needed one type of wired interface on a PC--something like
Ethernet. Who needs low-level, device-specific protocols like eSATA, USB
etc, when you can pack a full TCP/IP protocol stack into a very small
amount of chip area these days?

Of course, it would probably have to be IPv6 rather than IPv4, because of
the sheer number of addresses you'd need...

Your Name

"thing2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ~misfit~ wrote:
> > "The USB 3.0 specification, a next-generation high-speed connection

standard
> > due in 2009, is significant because all future PCs and devices will use
> > connectors based on it. The spec is also expected to offer 10 times the
> > speed of USB 2.0--used in virtually all PCs introduced in the last few
> > years--or roughly 5 gigabits per second."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10...=2547-1_3-0-20

> > Who needs SATA?

> because USB is a very simple protocol...the limitations are the HD and
> not the interface anyway....SATA, SAS will just get faster and more
> feature rich...but Im guessing.
>
> regards
>
> Thing

To steal a Star Wars quote: "There is always a bigger fish."

Gib Bogle

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, thing2 wrote:
>
>> ... USB is a very simple protocol...the limitations are the HD and
>> not the interface anyway....SATA, SAS will just get faster and more
>> feature rich...but Im guessing.

> A few years ago, Stuart Cheshire, the mastermind behind Zeroconf, said that
> you only needed one type of wired interface on a PC--something like
> Ethernet. Who needs low-level, device-specific protocols like eSATA, USB
> etc, when you can pack a full TCP/IP protocol stack into a very small
> amount of chip area these days?
>
> Of course, it would probably have to be IPv6 rather than IPv4, because of
> the sheer number of addresses you'd need...

I'm no expert, by any means, but surely the fact that you could use
TCP/IP for, for example, disk I/O, doesn't mean that it would make sense
to do so. I would guess (please correct me if I'm wrong) that
purpose-designed protocols could have much higher performance.

EMB

Gib Bogle wrote:
> I'm no expert, by any means, but surely the fact that you could use
> TCP/IP for, for example, disk I/O, doesn't mean that it would make sense
> to do so. I would guess (please correct me if I'm wrong) that
> purpose-designed protocols could have much higher performance.

iSCSI is a prime example of storage over TCP/IP. With 2 teamed gigabit
NICs in our servers we are seeing throughputs in the region of 200MB/s
from our SAN which is better than we get from a direct attached U320
SCSI array. It's still using the SCSI protocol for control but a more
efficient physical transmission medium. The real benefits are that it's
much cheaper than fibre channel and also enables us to run servers
remotely from the storage with no special cabling required.