Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Ink jet cartridge refills?

Re: Ink jet cartridge refills?

thanatoid

"DemoDisk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> The replacement cartridges for my old inkjet printer
> finally quit. It'll print a bad nozzle check pattern, but
> no docs or images. Multiple cleaning cycles no good either.
> Oddly, Epson's software says 'full' for both!
>
> I got the replacements from 1-2-3 Inkjets, but I'm looking
> at refill kits (black only for now) from Walgreens or
> Staples, basically bcz they're right nearby. They both
> come with supplies of cleaning agent and way more ink than
> I'll need in a year.
>
> Are these refill kits any good? Do they cause problems?
>
> Thanks,
> JPM

Since you say "black only for now" I have to say that anyone who
buys an inkjet but primarily
prints in b&w should do more research or just ask for advice
before making ANY decisions.

Even with color, unless you're just way too rich and/or obsessed
with printing EVERYTHING (weren't computers going to make the
world "paperless"?) I would still get a b&w laser and print
color at Office Depot or a service bureau when I /really/ need
to.

Color lasers are REALLY coming down in price now, too.

--
"May you live in interesting times."
(curse, origin disputed)

news:CO6dnWV9XNo2Fo_UnZ2dnUVZ_vninZ2d@yournetplus. com:

> "thanatoid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

<SNIP>

>> Since you say "black only for now" I have to say that
>> anyone who buys an inkjet but primarily
>> prints in b&w should do more research or just ask for
>> advice before making ANY decisions.

> I plead antiquity -- the Epson printer, that is. It's a
> Color Stylus 600, so old that some catalogs & sites don't
> even list it. Many stores don't stock the refills. And, as
> I recall, I bought it for it's amazing dot pitch, not as
> good as laser even at the time, but hey, it was color!

I understand now, still, was it /really/ color? I remember those
early "color" inkjets!
At least todays' inkjets, super rip-off as the cartridges are,
can produce photo-quality output.

>> Even with color, unless you're just way too rich and/or
>> obsessed with printing EVERYTHING (weren't computers going
>> to make the world "paperless"?) I would still get a b&w
>> laser and print color at Office Depot or a service bureau
>> when I /really/ need to.
>>
>> Color lasers are REALLY coming down in price now, too.

> I'll be looking at those. D'you suppose they'll offer deals
> like those on inkjets, where they basically give the
> printer away & then you learn the cartridges are $50? : )

Well, I have noticed a rather disturbing trend where b&w laser
printers which HAVE come down in price dramatically, now come
with a "starter" cartridge which may be as low as 500 pages, and
then you have to buy a "regular" cartridge. Prices vary, but the
capacity has also come down!

I only remember one or two manufacturers who EVER allowed "toner
refill" and I don't know if they still do. I bought an HP
LaserJet 6L about 11 years ago and the first cartridge - which
came WITH the printer - lasted me 8 years! (I print VERY
little). Those carts have a 5,000 page capacity. The newer laser
printers do 2,500-3,000 pages IIRC.

So some nasty "let's make those smartasses who think they can
deprive us of our profits" scheme involving color laser
cartridges is certainly a possibility. You just have to do
research on print quality and cartridge prices. (Another
advantage of lasers is that they really almost never break down
- it's just a motor in a plastic box, no micro-jets to clog or
dry up etc.)

One good thing is that IIRC all color lasers come with 4
separate cartridges (CMY and black) so you don't have to replace
one bigass $200 cartridge when one color goes. But having read
some of the other replies (that one about a resistor overheating
once the ink level is low was something else!), I would guess
anything is possible. Profit before everything else!

I think paperless-whenever-possible is really the way to go. And
with the PDF and html formats and a variety of home/office and
internet file storage options, it is easier then ever.

If you wait a while, it will /all/ get cheaper - but the
cartridges will probably keep getting smaller. I wonder what the
cut-off point will be. I would imagine 2,000 pages as a minimum,
but in /this/ case, I may actually be an optimist.

--
"May you live in interesting times."
(curse, origin disputed)

thanatoid

Alfred <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On 05 Nov 2008 21:32:59 GMT, thanatoid
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Even with color, unless you're just way too rich and/or
>>obsessed with printing EVERYTHING (weren't computers going
>>to make the world "paperless"?)

> The only way you can limit paper is by using more screens.
> It's the need to refer to other data that makes people
> print it out.

There's lots of screens around, as well as networks, and the
internet. Not to mention resolutions of 2000x1600 or higher are
not uncommon these days, you can connect more than one monitor
to a computer and see several different databases at once, and
there is software using which people can work on the same
files/documents at once/together even if they're on different
continents.

OTOH, the last person I worked for was a moron who insisted in
printing 30 complete copies of a 100 page document every time 3
sentences were changed (I am not talking about "oops" revisions
of the /final/ version, I mean DURING the writing process,
sometimes printing 5-10 "versions" with a few words'
difference), so I fully realize "paperless" was just a dream.
Stupidity always prevails.

--
"May you live in interesting times."
(curse, origin disputed)

joevan

On 06 Nov 2008 19:27:50 GMT, thanatoid <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Alfred <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> On 05 Nov 2008 21:32:59 GMT, thanatoid
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Even with color, unless you're just way too rich and/or
>>>obsessed with printing EVERYTHING (weren't computers going
>>>to make the world "paperless"?)

>> The only way you can limit paper is by using more screens.
>> It's the need to refer to other data that makes people
>> print it out.

>There's lots of screens around, as well as networks, and the
>internet. Not to mention resolutions of 2000x1600 or higher are
>not uncommon these days, you can connect more than one monitor
>to a computer and see several different databases at once, and
>there is software using which people can work on the same
>files/documents at once/together even if they're on different
>continents.
>
>OTOH, the last person I worked for was a moron who insisted in
>printing 30 complete copies of a 100 page document every time 3
>sentences were changed (I am not talking about "oops" revisions
>of the /final/ version, I mean DURING the writing process,
>sometimes printing 5-10 "versions" with a few words'
>difference), so I fully realize "paperless" was just a dream.
>Stupidity always prevails.

Lets add the phone companies. Not sure about them all but everybody
gets 2 or 3 complete phone books. Usually they end up in the recycle
bin or the trash. I don't think I have looked up a number in the phone
book for 10 years or so.
I have seen the books all over where I live and many are just left at
the curb for some city worker to pick up.
Anybody else see such where they live? I am in Phila. Pa. and my co.
is Verizon.

thanatoid

Alfred <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On 06 Nov 2008 19:27:50 GMT, thanatoid
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>There's lots of screens around, as well as networks, and
>>the internet. Not to mention resolutions of 2000x1600 or
>>higher are not uncommon these days, you can connect more
>>than one monitor to a computer and see several different
>>databases at once,

> Most office desks can only hold one monitor and the average
> monitor struggles to display more than two documents side
> by side
>
> The paperless office is not gonna happen

I didn't say it WAS going to happen (see last sentence below for
exactly WHAT I said). I am saying it COULD happen if people
weren't so old-fashioned or just stupid.

Actually, it /might/ happen once flexible page-size LCD (or
something) paper-thin screens are cheaply available, with large
storage capacity built-in. But that won't be for a while.

<SNIP>

>>OTOH, the last person I worked for was a moron who insisted
>>on printing 30 complete copies of a 100 page document every
>>time 3 sentences were changed (I am not talking about
>>"oops" revisions of the /final/ version, I mean DURING the
>>writing process, sometimes printing 5-10 "versions" with a
>>few words' difference), so I fully realize "paperless" was
>>just a dream. Stupidity always prevails.

--
"May you live in interesting times."
(curse, origin disputed)

RobF

| --
| "May you live in interesting times."
| (curse, origin disputed)

Chinese, ancient.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

joevan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Lets add the phone companies. Not sure about them all but everybody
>gets 2 or 3 complete phone books. Usually they end up in the recycle
>bin or the trash. I don't think I have looked up a number in the phone
>book for 10 years or so.
>I have seen the books all over where I live and many are just left at
>the curb for some city worker to pick up.
>Anybody else see such where they live? I am in Phila. Pa. and my co.
>is Verizon.

Tri-Cities Washington we get two phone books a year, they are in
competition with each other (ad wise). Verizon is one (We have Qwest
in our area) and a locally owed & operated one (from the cover) and
three times the size of the Verizon one.

Each year they are delivered; one company (locally owed & operated)
sticks one on every door knob, it can be a pumping station, but it
will have a phone book in a plastic bag hanging off it's door handle.

While I do still use a phone book at times - I'm using one two years
old, been tossing the new ones. I mostly use google to find a number,
it's just faster, Plus if you need to go to that number, you can get a
map to it's location.
--

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3279/...ef8de914_o.jpg

thanatoid

"RobF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:c11Rk.212$(E-Mail Removed):

>| --
>| "May you live in interesting times."
>| (curse, origin disputed)
>
> Chinese, ancient.

Look it up, that's the commonly attributed origin but no proof
exists. Earliest recorded use by a European in the 1930's, IIRC.
I'll admit it SOUNDS oriental philosophy-like, but we'll never
know.