Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Eclipse IDE

Eclipse IDE

teser3@hotmail.com

I have 2GB Ram and 2 GHz of processing power on my Windows XP.

I also have Tomcat and an Oracle development database and Oracle
client.

Should I attempt to put the latest Eclipse for J2EE as my IDE on this
workstation?
Will it freeze up or slow everything down?

Lew

On Nov 5, 2:58*pm, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have 2GB Ram and 2 GHz of processing power on my Windows XP.
>
> I also have Tomcat and an Oracle development database and Oracle
> client.
>
> Should I attempt to put the latest Eclipse for J2EE as my IDE on this
> workstation?

Sure.

> Will it freeze up or slow everything down?

I run IDEs on Windows XP and on Linux with about the same processor
speed as yours, but only 1 GB RAM. I tend to prefer NetBeans, but I
do it with Eclipse (and its offspring) also. It's not the fastest
configuration, but it works all right.

If you get a second machine, move the database to it. Databases tune
very differently from other applications. If you have a dedicated
database server you can do more to enhance the DBMS performance than
if it has to share with other apps.

In a development environment performance is rarely the primary issue.

--
Lew

teser3@hotmail.com

On Nov 5, 3:15*pm, Lew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Nov 5, 2:58*pm, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I have 2GB Ram and 2 GHz of processing power on my Windows XP.

> > I also have Tomcat and an Oracle development database and Oracle
> > client.

> > Should I attempt to put the latest Eclipse for J2EE as my IDE on this
> > workstation?

> Sure.
>
> > Will it freeze up or slow everything down?

> I run IDEs on Windows XP and on Linux with about the same processor
> speed as yours, but only 1 GB RAM. *I tend to prefer NetBeans, but I
> do it with Eclipse (and its offspring) also. *It's not the fastest
> configuration, but it works all right.
>
> If you get a second machine, move the database to it. *Databases tune
> very differently from other applications. *If you have a dedicated
> database server you can do more to enhance the DBMS performance than
> if it has to share with other apps.
>
> In a development environment performance is rarely the primary issue.
>
> --
> Lew

Thanks

Arne Vajh°j

> I have 2GB Ram and 2 GHz of processing power on my Windows XP.
>
> I also have Tomcat and an Oracle development database and Oracle
> client.
>
> Should I attempt to put the latest Eclipse for J2EE as my IDE on this
> workstation?
> Will it freeze up or slow everything down?

You can install it.

It will only use resources when actually used.

Running Eclipse + Tomcat + Oracle (XE I presume) on a
development box should be OK.

Arne

Wojtek

(E-Mail Removed) wrote :
> I have 2GB Ram and 2 GHz of processing power on my Windows XP.
>
> I also have Tomcat and an Oracle development database and Oracle
> client.
>
> Should I attempt to put the latest Eclipse for J2EE as my IDE on this
> workstation?
> Will it freeze up or slow everything down?

I am using a single core 2GHz with 2GBytes of ram. Usualy running
config:
- Eclipse - given 768M ram
- MS SQL
- Visual Studio to access the DB
- Tomcat - given 768M ram

Performance is fine. If anything I want to get more ram as I sometimes
go over 2.5G used.

--
Wojtek

Arne Vajh°j

Steve Sobol wrote:
> On 2008-11-05, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I have 2GB Ram and 2 GHz of processing power on my Windows XP.
>>
>> I also have Tomcat and an Oracle development database and Oracle
>> client.
>>
>> Should I attempt to put the latest Eclipse for J2EE as my IDE on this
>> workstation?
>> Will it freeze up or slow everything down?

> I ran Eclipse successfully on my previous laptop with a 2GHz Celeron and only
> 640MB of RAM. You should have no problems with your setup.

Tomcat and Oracle may require a few KB ...

Arne