Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Networking problem

Networking problem

Kevin Hill

Hi Guys and Gals,
I have a networking problem that I need help with. First let me explain me
network. I have a NetGear router hooked to ComCast
at my home. I own an auto repair shop 700 feet from home. So I have the
NetGear router hooked to a Linksys wireless access
point via an Ethernet cable. The Linksys access point beams a wireless
signal to 2 Linksys clients. One at my shop, and one at
my brothers house across the street.
Now if you have followed me so far I will describe my shop set up. My shop
Linksys client is connected via Ethernet to another
Linksys wireless access point in my shop. I have 3 computers in the shop
that connects wirelessly to it.
Now here is my problem. When I connect wirelessly to my shop access point
with my laptop all is fine. If I then turn the wireless
card off in my laptop to disconnect from the network and take my laptop home
at the end of the day I can not connect from home
to my shop computer via my laptop. I can not ping the garage. I do have
internet access and connect to my router. I just can not
connect to the shop.
If I restart the access point and client in the shop, I then could connect
from home to the shop again. I know it is kind of confusing
and hard to explain but could anyone understand my network set up and my
problem????? I wish I had a fix! I looked in the event
viewer for anything that might explain the problem and I did find this,

"Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 8003
Source: MRxSmb
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: EVENT_BOWSER_OTHER_MASTER_ON_NET
Message: The master browser has received a server announcement from the
computer %2 that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on
transport %3. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

Explanation
This computer is a master browser, and another computer has announced that
it is the master browser. There can be only one master browser on a subnet
at any given time. This message is logged for informational purposes only.

The existence of two browser masters occurs when a second computer cannot
contact the master browser for some reason: for example, when there are name
resolution problems or the master browser is too busy to respond. When the
original master browser receives a master announcement from the second
computer, the master browser tries to resolve the conflict by ending its
status as a master server, forcing an election, or both.

The choice of these actions depends on the status of the two computers: for
example, whether one or both are domain controllers, primary domain
controllers or Windows for Workgroups computers, and whether this computer
lost an election earlier. For more information about browsing, see Appendix
I: Windows 2000 Server Browser Service on the Microsoft Technet Web site.

User Action
No user action is required."

I do not know if this error is related or not and I do not know how to
declare one computer as the master browser.
Any ideas?????????
Thanks,
Kevin

--
Kevin Hill
Advanced Auto and Diesel

Lem

Kevin Hill wrote:
> [...]
> respond. When the original master browser receives a master announcement
> from the second computer, the master browser tries to resolve the
> conflict by ending its status as a master server, forcing an election,
> or both.
>
> The choice of these actions depends on the status of the two computers:
> for example, whether one or both are domain controllers, primary domain
> controllers or Windows for Workgroups computers, and whether this
> computer lost an election earlier. For more information about browsing,
> see Appendix I: Windows 2000 Server Browser Service on the Microsoft
> Technet Web site.
>

> User Action
> No user action is required."
>

> I do not know if this error is related or not and I do not know how to
> declare one computer as the master browser.

This is a fairly complex setup: did it ever work they way you would like
it to? If so, what changed?

The master browser error may be your problem. See
http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005...lways-see.html
(in reading the above, keep in mind that you undoubtedly have a
"workgroup" and not a "domain.")

I'm not sure what you mean by a "client," but basically, it sounds as if
you have set up a wireless bridge between your house and the shop
(ignoring your brother) and then connected the shop end of the bridge to
a wireless AP. If everything has been done correctly, the DHCP server
in the router should be the only DHCP server on the entire network and
should be responsible for allocating IP addresses to *all* of the
computers on the network. It is possible, however, that your bridge
setup blocks that behavior.

To help diagnose things, post the results of ipconfig /all from the
following situations:

1. From your laptop when successfully connected at home.
2. From your laptop when successfully connected in the shop.
3. From one of the other computers in the shop.
4. From your laptop when you can *not* successfully access the shop
computer.
5. From your laptop after you restart the access point and client in
the shop (btw, what "client" are you restarting?)

ipconfig /all (how to get text output)
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.c...t-text-output/

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

Phillip Windell

For the immediate problem,...make sure the SSID of every AP is
different,...beyond that,..don't know.

For the problem you don't see you have yet.... your theory of design is just
wrong.
You have to treat the LAN as a LAN and not as a "bunch of PCs". If you
power down every single one of your PCs,...what you have left *is* the LAN.
The PCs "exist" on the LAN just like houses exist on the side of the
road,..but the PCs are not part of the LAN just like houses are not part of
the street system.

Access Points and the Wireless Nics in the PC have a maximum usable range of
around 350 feet for B and G. The N stretches that a little further. The
practical range of B or G where you still have any real performance is
around half that (150 or so),...stronger the signal, the faster the speed.

So you have two buildings 700 feet apart. You need to join these two
building (buildings, not PCs) using a wireless Bridge that is designed to
run dependably over that distance. Bridges are point-to-point and they only
do that one thing,...PCs do not connect directly two bridges. However Cisco
makes a "hybrid" called a Workgroup Bridge but the Clients are limited to 8
with a hub or 7 with a switch and they connect to it *wired*,..not wireless.

Downstream of the Bridge, as you go down into the building, it is
*wired*,...you then have the option of adding a Wireless Access Point
[WAP],...not a "router". The WAP would plug into the LAN just like a
PC,..no difference. The wireless PCs would then connect to the WAPs.

You would repeat that "design" in each building. You then only need *one*
internet account and would use a *wired* router to sit between the Internet
and the LAN and both buildings would use it. It doesn't matter what
building it is in, just use whatever is most convenient.

You brother is on his own. As long as he is close enough to at least one WAP
with a strong enough signal he should be fine. I seen no reason to incure
the expense of repeating the Bridge & LAN design in his house as well.

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com

"Kevin Hill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
> name resolution problems or the master browser is too busy to respond.
> When the original master browser receives a master announcement from the
> second computer, the master browser tries to resolve the conflict by
> ending its status as a master server, forcing an election, or both.
>
> The choice of these actions depends on the status of the two computers:
> for example, whether one or both are domain controllers, primary domain
> controllers or Windows for Workgroups computers, and whether this computer
> lost an election earlier. For more information about browsing, see
> Appendix I: Windows 2000 Server Browser Service on the Microsoft Technet
> Web site.
>

> User Action
> No user action is required."
>

> I do not know if this error is related or not and I do not know how to
> declare one computer as the master browser.

Barb Bowman

Strongly suggest you check this configuration against Comcast's
terms of service.

On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 14:13:51 -0500, "Kevin Hill"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a NetGear router hooked to ComCast
>at my home. I own an auto repair shop 700 feet from home. So I have the
>NetGear router hooked to a Linksys wireless access
>point via an Ethernet cable. The Linksys access point beams a wireless
>signal to 2 Linksys clients. One at my shop, and one at
>my brothers house across the street.

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

wayne ritchie

i just bought an hp laptop and tried to run it on my dlink wireless in my
home. the router is 15 feet away and when i activate my wireless in the
laptop i pick up everyone in the neighbourhood but mine. short of taking
down the network and starting over is there another way. oh i should say i
use vista and while doing the setup dlink wanted to use xp setup can some
one set me in the right direction...thanks

> [...]
> name resolution problems or the master browser is too busy to respond.
> When the original master browser receives a master announcement from the
> second computer, the master browser tries to resolve the conflict by
> ending its status as a master server, forcing an election, or both.
>
> The choice of these actions depends on the status of the two computers:
> for example, whether one or both are domain controllers, primary domain
> controllers or Windows for Workgroups computers, and whether this computer
> lost an election earlier. For more information about browsing, see
> Appendix I: Windows 2000 Server Browser Service on the Microsoft Technet
> Web site.
>

> User Action
> No user action is required."
>

> I do not know if this error is related or not and I do not know how to
> declare one computer as the master browser.

Richard in AZ

Wayne; Start your own post. Do not highjack onto some one else's post.
It makes the answers to one post difficult to follow.

"wayne ritchie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
| > name resolution problems or the master browser is too busy to respond.
| > When the original master browser receives a master announcement from the
| > second computer, the master browser tries to resolve the conflict by
| > ending its status as a master server, forcing an election, or both.
| >
| > The choice of these actions depends on the status of the two computers:
| > for example, whether one or both are domain controllers, primary domain
| > controllers or Windows for Workgroups computers, and whether this computer
| > lost an election earlier. For more information about browsing, see
| > Appendix I: Windows 2000 Server Browser Service on the Microsoft Technet
| > Web site.
| >

| > User Action
| > No user action is required."
| >

| > I do not know if this error is related or not and I do not know how to
| > declare one computer as the master browser.

Barb Bowman

did you change the SSID in the DLink router from the default name?
what kind of security is it using? what new laptop with what
wireless card? Intel draft 2.0N cards are very particular about what
security mode you use.

what do you mean by dlink setup?

you should be using windows native features to connect to wireless
and nothing else.

please post details.