Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Adc

lucianofalbo lucianofalbo is offline
Junior Member
Location: pavia

Can somebody help me with the code for an ADC? I just need an example...
Thanks.

jeppe jeppe is offline
Senior Member
Location: Denmark

First must you accept - its not possible to connect an analog signal direct to a digital system like a FPGA.
But you could generate a known analog value with a DAC component and use this together with an analog comperator.

Visit this page in order to learn more about PWM and PPM.
http://www.jjmk.dk/MMMI/Exercises/05...elta/index.htm

Jeppe

lucianofalbo lucianofalbo is offline
Junior Member
Location: pavia

Thanks very much! I will look at the link and try to understand what to do!
Bye
Luciano

lucianofalbo lucianofalbo is offline
Junior Member
Location: pavia

last week i had not enough time to read accurately your documentation. I will do it in this week. Anyway please answer to this question:
Is it possible using only an FPGA (I have a spartan3) to realize a DAC?And a ADC?
Thanks

jeppe jeppe is offline
Senior Member
Location: Denmark

Yes - Its possible to create a DAC with a FPGA, the digital output which modulated with PWM or PPM must however drive a buffer (OpAmp etc) and the perhaps will a simple analog filter be useful as well.

With help from this DAC output (which you control) can you build an ADC by adding an analog comperator to the design. The output from the comperator must be feed back to the FPGA.
The most efficent way to make a conversion will be the Succesiv Approximation algoritm.
Hope this was useful
Jeppe

lucianofalbo lucianofalbo is offline
Junior Member
Location: pavia

I have read the block diagram for the PPM DAC in your link but there is something basic I don't understand. What is the digital value to be converted?Is it PCM? How can I obtain an analogic value using PPM that is a std_logic(in other words can you be more detailed talking about a "buffer")?
I know it's fault of my digital/analog ignorance but I ask you if you can explain the DAC architecture using that block diagram, from the digital input to the analog output.
Bye

jeppe jeppe is offline
Senior Member
Location: Denmark

Well - seems Im not that busy right now
Take a look at this page and let me know if its useful.

http://www.jjmk.dk/MMMI/Exercises/05..._with_fpga.htm

Jeppe

Last edited by jeppe; 11-10-2008 at 08:46 PM..

lucianofalbo lucianofalbo is offline
Junior Member
Location: pavia

Maybe I begin understanding something...then to make only a simple DAC I have to send the digital word that i want to convert to a PPM generator and send the PPM pulse to an analog low pass filter. Isn'it?
Thanks

ADC in VHDL monravidal VHDL 5 08-21-2012 01:19 PM
ADC and DAC Converters VHDL model Xabier Iturbe VHDL 6 05-16-2008 07:03 AM
ANNC: ADC to FPGA Interface Webcast bart VHDL 2 02-27-2008 11:46 PM
ADC in VHDL Ah_bi VHDL 0 09-01-2006 04:05 AM
question on exchange ADC dave MCSE 0 08-07-2003 12:25 AM

Advertisments