Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How to lighten a dark photo?

How to lighten a dark photo?

mark.bergman@thales-is.com

I took some indoor photos, apparently without flash as they have come
out very dim. (Actually taken with a non-digital camera, but I have
the photos also on CD).
Anyone know any programs (PC) to lighten the photos?

Marvin

> I took some indoor photos, apparently without flash as they have come
> out very dim. (Actually taken with a non-digital camera, but I have
> the photos also on CD).
> Anyone know any programs (PC) to lighten the photos?

I routinely adjust brightness and contrast with Paint Shop
Pro. It works very well when the exposure is off by one
f-stop or so, But don't expect good results with photos
that are very dim. It is more of a problem with pictures
taken with film than with a digicam. The dynamic exposure
range of film is less than for a digicam.

Dave Cohen

Marvin wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I took some indoor photos, apparently without flash as they have come
>> out very dim. (Actually taken with a non-digital camera, but I have
>> the photos also on CD).
>> Anyone know any programs (PC) to lighten the photos?

> I routinely adjust brightness and contrast with Paint Shop Pro. It
> works very well when the exposure is off by one f-stop or so, But don't
> expect good results with photos that are very dim. It is more of a
> problem with pictures taken with film than with a digicam. The dynamic
> exposure range of film is less than for a digicam.

I assume from the question you don't have a photo editor. Faststone is a
good free download.
For more serious work, I picked up a PSP 9 cd from Amazon at a very
nominal cost of around $12 plus shipping. This is a very good program.
I've never used Elements, supposedly this is also very good but will set
you back a few more bucks.
Dave Cohen

Sheila

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I took some indoor photos, apparently without flash as they have come
> out very dim. (Actually taken with a non-digital camera, but I have
> the photos also on CD).
> Anyone know any programs (PC) to lighten the photos?

I use Photoshop but if it is too dark, you still might not have a good
photo, it just depends on how dark the original is.

--
Sheila
http://swdalton.com

Art Kesler

I use Irfanview. It is free and it works great!

Art

jmeehan@columbus.rr.com

On Nov 5, 11:40*am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I took some indoor photos, apparently without flash as they have come
> out very dim. *(Actually taken with a non-digital camera, but I have
> the photos also on CD).
> Anyone know any programs (PC) to lighten the photos?

It is not clear if you are only talking about photos you have or
photos you are going to take in the future.

The ones you have (chemical not digital) may be reprinted and a good
tech can do magic in the darkroom. Finding one today is not easy.

You did not note where the digital photos on the disk came from, but
if they are from the prints or the typical quick photo shop, they are
likely not very good for what you want to do. If they were from the
original negatives or slides they may be better, but quality varies a
great deal.

You want a good tech working from the most original source for the
best results.

However since you have digital and if you have a computer and even a
rather basic photo editing program you should be able to improve on
what you have. Having experience and good or top quality software
will mean even better results.

There are many possible solutions and no one solution will fit every
possible situation.

Good Luck.

RobertL

On Nov 6, 1:00*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Nov 5, 11:40*am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > I took some indoor photos, apparently without flash as they have come
> > out very dim. *(Actually taken with a non-digital camera, but I have
> > the photos also on CD).
> > Anyone know any programs (PC) to lighten the photos?

> * *It is not clear if you are only talking about photos you have or
> photos you are going to take in the future.
>
> * The ones you have (chemical not digital) may be reprinted and a good
> tech can do magic in the darkroom. *Finding one today is not easy.
>
> * You did not note where the digital photos on the disk came from, but
> if they are from the prints or the typical quick photo shop, they are
> likely not very good for what you want to do. *If they were from the
> original negatives or slides they may be better, but quality varies a
> great deal.
>
> * You want a good tech working from the most original source for the
> best results.
>
> * However since you have digital and if you have a computer and even a
> rather basic photo editing program you should be able to improve on
> what you have. *Having experience and good or top quality software
> will mean even better results.
>
> * There are many possible solutions and no one solution will fit every
> possible situation.
>
> Good Luck.

Is it possible the OP would do better to scan the negatives again
rather than staring from the bulk high speed scans done by the film
processor?

Robert

J. Clarke

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I took some indoor photos, apparently without flash as they have
> come
> out very dim. (Actually taken with a non-digital camera, but I have
> the photos also on CD).
> Anyone know any programs (PC) to lighten the photos?

Well, there's Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, GIMP, Corel Photopaint .
.. .

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)