Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Panasonic Lumix G1 Kludge Combines all the disadvantages of a P&Swith the disadvantages of a D-SLR

Panasonic Lumix G1 Kludge Combines all the disadvantages of a P&Swith the disadvantages of a D-SLR

SMS

Early testing of the Micro 4:3 Lumix G1 confirms the fears that everyone
has had. They're stuck with the contrast detection auto-focus system, so
shutter/focus lag is much slower than that of a digital SLR. Yet it's
still relatively large, and it weighs more than the lightest 4:3 digital
SLR.

Some 4:3 lenses can be used on the G1, via an adapter, but of course
that defeats much of the reason for going to Micro 4:3 (manual focus
must be use on some of the lenses, while auto-focus works on others).

I see Micro 4:3 as being the disc or APS film of the 21st century. It's
essentially a P&S camera with interchangeable lenses. If you can live
with the drawbacks of a P&S, save money and get a Canon G10. If you want
the advantages of a D-SLR, buy a D-SLR rather than this kludge.

Roy G

"SMS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RhhQk.4088$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Early testing of the Micro 4:3 Lumix G1 confirms the fears that everyone
> has had. They're stuck with the contrast detection auto-focus system, so
> shutter/focus lag is much slower than that of a digital SLR. Yet it's
> still relatively large, and it weighs more than the lightest 4:3 digital
> SLR.
>
> Some 4:3 lenses can be used on the G1, via an adapter, but of course that
> defeats much of the reason for going to Micro 4:3 (manual focus must be
> use on some of the lenses, while auto-focus works on others).
>
> I see Micro 4:3 as being the disc or APS film of the 21st century. It's
> essentially a P&S camera with interchangeable lenses. If you can live with
> the drawbacks of a P&S, save money and get a Canon G10. If you want the
> advantages of a D-SLR, buy a D-SLR rather than this kludge.

Are you just trying to provoke what'is'name.

Roy G

SMS

Roy G wrote:

<snip>

> Are you just trying to provoke what'is'name.

LOL, you mean "he who has many names?" No, I figured out how to filter
based on message ID, so now I filter all messages ending with "@4ax.com."

There was recently a thread about someone looking for something a little
smaller than their D-SLR, and they were considering a G10 but they
weren't willing to give up all the advantages of the D-SLR. Micro 4:3
seemed to hold some promise, and everyone thought that it was still a
ways away, but then Panasonic released the G1.

Micro 4:3 has turned out to be simply adding interchangeable lenses to a
P&S. Why would anyone buy Micro 4:3 rather than a long range ZLR? The
Micro 4:3 companies must assume that the reason D-SLR sales are
skyrocketing is because people want interchangeable lenses, but this is
not the major reason. D-SLR sales are rising because of other major
advantages, as outlined in the earlier thread, "Thirteen Reasons to
choose a Digital SLR over a Point and Shoot."

One advantage of Micro 4:3 over a ZLR is that you can have a smaller
package when using a wide angle versus a telephoto lens. It also has a
larger sensor, so presumably it won't suffer from the noise problems of
P&S cameras as much, though it's still a much smaller sensor than D-SLRs
from Canon, Nikon, Pentax, or Sony.

I can't imagine many people buying into such a crippled system as Micro
4:3. One of the major reasons to buy a digital SLR is to get rid of the
painful shutter lag caused by the slow contrast detection based
auto-focus, but at least the G1 retains contrast detection. I guess if
you would otherwise be using those funky lens adapters on a P&S in order
to increase the telephoto range or increase the wide angle, then Micro
4:3 would at least increase the quality, but anyone that cares about
image quality has already migrated to a digital SLR. Micro 4:3 is like
improving on a square wheel by making it triangular to eliminate one bump.

Ricoh used to offer phase-detection in a P&S so it's possible, but
expensive to do so.

Steve

Gerald Ford's Words from 1974 Come to Mind Today...

"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over."

bmoag

It's the first product of a new paradigm.
The original Nikon Coolpix, now a paperweight on my desktop, was technically
a piece of cow excrement.
Should Nikon have abandoned digital image capture because their first
product stunk?

J. Clarke

bmoag wrote:
> It's the first product of a new paradigm.
> The original Nikon Coolpix, now a paperweight on my desktop, was
> technically a piece of cow excrement.
> Should Nikon have abandoned digital image capture because their
> first
> product stunk?

What's "new" about the "paradigm"? It's just a half-sized RD-1 or M8
right down to using Leica glass. All that's missing is the Visoflex,
which I'm sure is coming.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

nospam

In article <RhhQk.4088$(E-Mail Removed)>, SMS
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Early testing of the Micro 4:3 Lumix G1 confirms the fears that everyone
> has had. They're stuck with the contrast detection auto-focus system, so
> shutter/focus lag is much slower than that of a digital SLR.

<http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panasonicG1/page10.asp>

The good news is that - even in the prototypes we've tried -
Panasonic's engineers have kept true to their word; the focus is not
only astonishingly fast for a contrast detect system; it's easily as
fast as any conventional SLR in this class.

<http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/panasonic/dmc_g1-review/index.shtml>

Before I first used the G1, I had big concerns about focusing
performance. After all, contrast detect autofocus on traditional SLRs
is, well, awful. Panasonic has hit one out of the park with the G1 --
this camera focuses as quickly in live view mode as regular D-SLRs do
with their optical viewfinders

> Yet it's
> still relatively large, and it weighs more than the lightest 4:3 digital
> SLR.

panasonic has stated that they deliberately made as large as it is for
ergonomic reasons. also, this is just the first micro 4/3rds camera.
there will be others.

> Some 4:3 lenses can be used on the G1, via an adapter, but of course
> that defeats much of the reason for going to Micro 4:3 (manual focus
> must be use on some of the lenses, while auto-focus works on others).

most people will get micro 4/3rds lenses, but those who have existing
4/3rds lenses or want a particular focal length not yet offered in m43
can still use them if they want. hopefully there will be adapters for
nikon, canon, etc.

> I see Micro 4:3 as being the disc or APS film of the 21st century. It's
> essentially a P&S camera with interchangeable lenses. If you can live
> with the drawbacks of a P&S, save money and get a Canon G10. If you want
> the advantages of a D-SLR, buy a D-SLR rather than this kludge.

although the g1 is an interesting camera, the real appeal of micro
4/3rds are compact cameras with larger sensors.

J. Clarke

nospam wrote:
> In article <RhhQk.4088$(E-Mail Removed)>, SMS
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Early testing of the Micro 4:3 Lumix G1 confirms the fears that
>> everyone has had. They're stuck with the contrast detection
>> auto-focus system, so shutter/focus lag is much slower than that of
>> a digital SLR.

> <http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panasonicG1/page10.asp>
>
> The good news is that - even in the prototypes we've tried -
> Panasonic's engineers have kept true to their word; the focus is
> not
> only astonishingly fast for a contrast detect system; it's easily
> as
> fast as any conventional SLR in this class.
>
> <http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/panasonic/dmc_g1-review/index.shtml>
>
> Before I first used the G1, I had big concerns about focusing
> performance. After all, contrast detect autofocus on traditional
> SLRs is, well, awful. Panasonic has hit one out of the park with
> the G1 -- this camera focuses as quickly in live view mode as
> regular D-SLRs do with their optical viewfinders
>
>> Yet it's
>> still relatively large, and it weighs more than the lightest 4:3
>> digital SLR.

> panasonic has stated that they deliberately made as large as it is
> for
> ergonomic reasons. also, this is just the first micro 4/3rds
> camera.
> there will be others.
>
>> Some 4:3 lenses can be used on the G1, via an adapter, but of
>> course
>> that defeats much of the reason for going to Micro 4:3 (manual
>> focus
>> must be use on some of the lenses, while auto-focus works on
>> others).

> most people will get micro 4/3rds lenses, but those who have
> existing
> 4/3rds lenses or want a particular focal length not yet offered in
> m43
> can still use them if they want. hopefully there will be adapters
> for
> nikon, canon, etc.
>
>> I see Micro 4:3 as being the disc or APS film of the 21st century.
>> It's essentially a P&S camera with interchangeable lenses. If you
>> can live with the drawbacks of a P&S, save money and get a Canon
>> G10. If you want the advantages of a D-SLR, buy a D-SLR rather than
>> this kludge.

> although the g1 is an interesting camera, the real appeal of micro
> 4/3rds are compact cameras with larger sensors.

Which is what the G1 is.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, J. Clarke
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > although the g1 is an interesting camera, the real appeal of micro
> > 4/3rds are compact cameras with larger sensors.

> Which is what the G1 is.

no, the g1 is a dslr. i'm referring to something like a canon g9 but
with a larger sensor.

Charles

In article <UtjQk.5283$(E-Mail Removed)>, SMS
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> LOL, you mean "he who has many names?" No, I figured out how to filter
> based on message ID, so now I filter all messages ending with "@4ax.com."

Are you aware that message ID's ending in "4ax.com" means that the user
is posting with the Forte Agent newsreader? That is a popular
newsreader so if you filter out messages on that you are filtering out
a broad swath of users that have nothing to do with your target. You
are filtering all users of Forte Agent.

--
Charles

dj_nme

nospam wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, J. Clarke
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> although the g1 is an interesting camera, the real appeal of micro
>>> 4/3rds are compact cameras with larger sensors.

>> Which is what the G1 is.

> no, the g1 is a dslr. i'm referring to something like a canon g9 but
> with a larger sensor.

No, the Panasonic DMC-G1 is not an SLR camera of any sort (digital or not).
The G1 has not got an optical TTL(1) viewfinder and is missing a reflex
system(2) which are the defining features of a SLR camera, digital or not.
Interchangeable lenses does not an SLR camera make, otherwise you would
have to also describe the Epson RD-1 and the Leica M8 as DSLR cameras
too, which these are demonstrably not.

The best way of describing the Panasonic DMC-G1 is as an EVIL(3) or
DIL(4) camera, simply because it uses an EVF(5) and has interchangeable
lenses.

(1) TTL = Through The Lens, IE: the "taking" or objective lens which
forms the image on the sensor or film inside the camera.
(2) flipping mirror, fixed pellicle mirror, beamsplitter, ETC
(3) EVIL = Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens
(4) DIL = Digital Interchangeable Lens
(5) EVF = Electronic ViewFinder