Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > How to set timeout for WebService?

How to set timeout for WebService?

Simon

I would like to know how to set the timeout for
System.Web.Services.WebService class (from which my web service is derived)?
According to documentation there should be Timeout property, but I can not
find this property.

Best regard

Simon

Juan T. Llibre

<httpRuntime executionTimeout="numberof seconds"/>

<system.web>..
<compilation debug="false"/>
<httpRuntime executionTimeout="1200"/>
</system.web>

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
foros de asp.net, en espanol : http://asp.net.do/foros/
======================================
"Simon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I would like to know how to set the timeout for System.Web.Services.WebService class (from which my web service is
>derived)? According to documentation there should be Timeout property, but I can not find this property.
>
> Best regard
>
> Simon

George

Which timeout are you looking for?
There are 2 actually.

One on a server which makes sure that your WebService method is not running
forever and will be aborted if exceeds some time.
I do not see Timeout property in WebService class.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...e_members.aspx
You can set/change this time out in web.config See: <httpRuntime
executionTimeout="..."/>

Another one is on a client which makes sure that your client is not waiting
forever for WebService to reply...
The class is actually called SoapHttpClientProtocol and it has a Timeout
property.

George.

"Simon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I would like to know how to set the timeout for
>System.Web.Services.WebService class (from which my web service is
>derived)? According to documentation there should be Timeout property, but
>I can not find this property.
>
> Best regard
>
> Simon

Simon

I am referring to the second one. How do you set that?

Simon

"George" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Which timeout are you looking for?
> There are 2 actually.
>
> One on a server which makes sure that your WebService method is not
> running forever and will be aborted if exceeds some time.
> I do not see Timeout property in WebService class.
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...e_members.aspx
> You can set/change this time out in web.config See: <httpRuntime
> executionTimeout="..."/>
>

> Another one is on a client which makes sure that your client is not
> waiting forever for WebService to reply...
> The class is actually called SoapHttpClientProtocol and it has a Timeout
> property.
>
> George.
>

> "Simon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I would like to know how to set the timeout for
>>System.Web.Services.WebService class (from which my web service is
>>derived)? According to documentation there should be Timeout property, but
>>I can not find this property.
>>
>> Best regard
>>
>> Simon

George

Obviously it must be set on a clients.
Right after you have instantiated your service but before the actual call.

Something like this
Service.StoreSupport sw = new Service.StoreSupport();
sw.Timeout = 1000; //1 second
Service.clsGetCategoriesGroupsReply rp =
sw.GetCategoryGroups(_objBs._sAccessTocken);

George