Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Wrong Time?

Wrong Time?

JayAr

Hi to all. Please help me with a weird problem. Win 98SE. 300 Mz.-128
MB. RAM. I was having some problems with my computer so I tried to
use Registry Checker (scanreg/restore) to start in a previous problem
free back up. But the dates shown are five years in the future!! :
What could've happened? Las time I used the Registry Checker was
probably 2 or 3 years ago. How can I reset the proper date?
The clock and date in the right corner of the Task Bar is normal.

BTW, the problem I was trying to solve is that all of a sudden I ran
out of memory. Let me explain: I was downloading some videos. I had
over 3 GB of memory in my HD., The videos were less de 300MB. When I
tried to burn them got a message of not enough memory. Then I checked
my HD, it shows only 90.1 MB
Any ideas? Thanks in advance

chuckcar

JayAr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi to all. Please help me with a weird problem. Win 98SE. 300 Mz.-128
> MB. RAM. I was having some problems with my computer so I tried to
> use Registry Checker (scanreg/restore) to start in a previous problem
> free back up. But the dates shown are five years in the future!! :
> 09-21-13
> 09-20-13
> 09-19-13
> 09-18-13
> What could've happened? Las time I used the Registry Checker was
> probably 2 or 3 years ago. How can I reset the proper date?
> The clock and date in the right corner of the Task Bar is normal.

So change it back to today and restart. This *didn't* happen overnight.
It's been like this for at least 5 days. After this leave your computer
*off* for two hours and see if the time is still correct, if it doesn't
advance, you need a new battery for your motherboard. If it changes to
2013 again, you need to remove the malware you somehow got.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Tony

You'll never know until you pick one of those dates. Get back to us after
you put your registry in the future. Don't listen to that buffoon
Chuckcar he'll turn your computer to mush.

--
The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

proper manners

beyond the realm of understandability

Tony

But suppose he changed his date and clock to match the times and years of those backups then maybe they'd work and he'd
zoom into the future.

--
The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

Nay, Art thou decideth playeth ye simpleton games. *Some* of us know proper manners

Using my technical prowess and computer abilities to answer questions beyond the realm of understandability

catchme

JayAr wrote:
> Hi to all. Please help me with a weird problem. Win 98SE. 300 Mz.-128
> MB. RAM. I was having some problems with my computer so I tried to
> use Registry Checker (scanreg/restore) to start in a previous problem
> free back up. But the dates shown are five years in the future!! :
> 09-21-13
> 09-20-13
> 09-19-13
> 09-18-13
> What could've happened? Las time I used the Registry Checker was
> probably 2 or 3 years ago. How can I reset the proper date?
> The clock and date in the right corner of the Task Bar is normal.
>
> BTW, the problem I was trying to solve is that all of a sudden I ran
> out of memory. Let me explain: I was downloading some videos. I had
> over 3 GB of memory in my HD., The videos were less de 300MB. When I
> tried to burn them got a message of not enough memory. Then I checked
> my HD, it shows only 90.1 MB
> Any ideas? Thanks in advance

your memory is your RAM- in this case, 128Mb.
downloading videos takes a lot of RAM to process- you need a newer
machine to do that, as I think your P3/300 can only be upgraded to maybe
1Gb. RAM
memory is not stored in hard drive, generally, so the 3 Gb. on your hard
drive is your storage capacity.
and your 300 MHz processor barely suffices for streaming videos on a 56k
modem, never mind broadband!
you will definitely appreciate the speed difference, as well as having
the engine under your hood to manage the speeds, should you buy a newer
machine!

--
To the States or any one of them, or any city of the States,
Resist much, obey little,

-Walt Whitman, 1860