Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Digital Railroad disappears overnight

Digital Railroad disappears overnight

jj@unspameljefe.net

In the continuing saga of Why I Still Prefer Film Even Though I Now
Use A 5D, there's this:

http://www.nppa.org/news_and_events/...lrailroad.html

JJ

John Passaneau

> In the continuing saga of Why I Still Prefer Film Even Though I Now
> Use A 5D, there's this:
>
> http://www.nppa.org/news_and_events/...lrailroad.html
>

> JJ

Only an idiot (to put it bluntly) would store in a place like that their
only copy of a file. Getting the money your owed is another thing and
may be unlikely. The real problem is the liquidator of the company may
try and sell the files it has as an asset of the company even though it
doesn't own the copyright. One could be in court for years fighting with
them. That problem could exist if they had film or files so his has
noting to do with digital verse film.

John Passaneau

John Passaneau

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> In the continuing saga of Why I Still Prefer Film Even Though I Now
> Use A 5D, there's this:
>
> http://www.nppa.org/news_and_events/...lrailroad.html
>

> JJ

Only an idiot (to put it bluntly) would store in a place like that their
only copy of a file. Getting the money your owed is another thing and
may be unlikely. The real problem is the liquidator of the company may
try and sell the files it has as an asset of the company even though it
doesn't own the copyright. One could be in court for years fighting with
them. That problem could exist if they had film or files so his has
noting to do with digital verse film.

John Passaneau

Matt Ion

John Passaneau wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> In the continuing saga of Why I Still Prefer Film Even Though I Now
>> Use A 5D, there's this:
>>
>> http://www.nppa.org/news_and_events/...lrailroad.html
>>

>> JJ
>>

> Only an idiot (to put it bluntly) would store in a place like that their
> only copy of a file. Getting the money your owed is another thing and
> may be unlikely. The real problem is the liquidator of the company may
> try and sell the files it has as an asset of the company even though it
> doesn't own the copyright. One could be in court for years fighting with
> them. That problem could exist if they had film or files so his has
> noting to do with digital verse film.

Agreed there - film is no safer than digital if you have only one copy
of your negatives and you store them in a box in some shady storage
facility.

Digital actually has an advantage in this case, because it's so easy to
make multiple copies of your originals and keep them in different,
diverse places anywhere in the world.

Charles

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In the continuing saga of Why I Still Prefer Film Even Though I Now
> Use A 5D, there's this:

This has absolutely nothing to do with film ... and, face it, current film
photographers most often scan/digitize their images.

CD-R, DVD-R, huge USB hard drives at great prices!

Nobody of any acumen would solely store their images on some remote server.

jj@unspameljefe.net

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 18:18:05 -0500, "Charles"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> In the continuing saga of Why I Still Prefer Film Even Though I Now
>> Use A 5D, there's this:

>This has absolutely nothing to do with film ... and, face it, current film
>photographers most often scan/digitize their images.
>
>CD-R, DVD-R, huge USB hard drives at great prices!
>
>Nobody of any acumen would solely store their images on some remote server.

The last few years when I was still shooting film I would also have it
processed onto CD. That would give me a set of negs, a double set of
prints and digital media as well. If something happens to one, you've
still got the others as inherent back-ups.

Plus, I'd just drop the film off at the lab and come back an hour or a
day later to get everything. I didn't have to spend five hours a day
in front of a computer playing with Photoshop, et al, when I could be
out shooting. And I didn't need a hard drive and a computer screen to
see what I'd shot. Or 1TB back-up drives to store 13 MB RAW files.

You can back up digital files all you want. I do. But it's a pain in
the ass. I'd love to digitize the 30 years of negs in my archives, but
who's going to sit around doing that? Who can afford to farm it out?
Not me.

That being said, yeah, anybody who stores stuff on a remote server
without additional back-up is asking for trouble.

JJ

railroad in netbeans Pradheep R.b Ruby 1 06-09-2010 10:02 AM
railroad-database problem srinivasan.anand@accenture.com Ruby 3 11-30-2007 12:29 PM
railroad problem srinivasan.anand@accenture.com Ruby 2 11-16-2007 02:53 PM
Railroad track syntax diagrams Paul McGuire Python 6 08-03-2006 09:12 AM
IP Adress not renewing overnight David Wireless Networking 0 07-13-2004 03:18 PM

Advertisments