Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Datagrid or Datalist with Lookup Tables

Datagrid or Datalist with Lookup Tables

Demetri

I have two tables in sql server. Customer and State. Of
course the Customer table has data about the customer
such as name, address, and phone number. It also has a
field called state_id. The state table has all the state
names and abbreviations, as well as the state_id field.

I have populated a dataset with the customer information.
I have also populated the same dataset with the state
information.

The datagrid's datasource is the dataset which has the
two tables, Customer and State.

The datagrid has a template column in order to have not
the state_id displayed but rather the state name.

Here is where I am stuck. I can get the datagrid to show
the customer information when I call the databind method.
However, I can not for the life of me get it to show the
state name for each customer record.

Any idea how to do this? I am taking a visual approach,
using VS.Net's integrated drag drop capabilities for the
data adapters and dataset objects.