Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Confirm my wireless understanding please?

Confirm my wireless understanding please?

Evil Uncle Chris

Hi all, I am very new to wireless, so I really just need to have my
understanding confirmed, hopefully.

I have just got a Wifi enabled Pocket PC, 802.11b, (Axim X30) and want to
sit 30-40 feet away from my PC surfing the web, on it, wirelessly.

I have an NTL cable modem, connecting to my PC via a network card (not USB).
Other than requiring a PCI wireless network card such as this,
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/br...s.aspx?pid=006
am I right in thinking this is all I will need? I understand I will need to
set up Internet Connection Sharing, which looks almost staright forward.

Thanks in anticipation.

Chris

Sooner Al [MVP]

Yes, you could do it that way. Here is an adhoc guide that describes how to do that...

http://www.geocities.com/grieg_winter/adhoc/index.html

IMHO, however, you would be better off purchasing a combination broadband router/wireless access
point. Some advantages are (in no special order)...

* Built-in NAT firewall functionality to protect your home LAN.
* You don't need your PC turned on in order to access the internet from your wireless Axim.
* Better wireless network security if you purchase a combination broadband router/wireless access
point that supports WPA, which is more secure than using WEP.

A lot of folks like the Linksys WRT54G devices...

http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=35&prid=601

Reviews...

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
http://www.timhiggins.com/